Author Topic: Philosophocal question  (Read 9010 times)

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Philosophocal question
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2003, 12:58:34 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
The reason why there are no right answers in Philosophy is because almost all of it is wrong.  Whenever you have equally strong arguments that cancel each other out because they are equal and opposite, both are wrong because of the contradiction they purpose. Whenever you have this as the case, it just shows how much we don't understand.  That is the only thing it establishes, stupidy.

I'd say it's more to do with that fact that nothing is defined. For example, in this case, what is meant by "morally correct" or "moral value"? If we get differing arguments it's not because they're both correct or incorrect but rather because they're both arguing from different definitions of morality. If morality was defined, there could never be any equally strong contradicting arguments. It's left wide open on purpose, that's the idea of philosophy. This kind of thing can't answer any questions, all it can do is ask more questions. Which has it's uses :)

-Kev

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
Philosophocal question
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2003, 01:44:11 pm »
The reason why there are no right answers in Philosophy is because almost all of it is wrong.  Whenever you have equally strong arguments that cancel each other out because they are equal and opposite, both are wrong because of the contradiction they purpose.  Whenever you have this as the case, it just shows how much we don't understand.  That is the only thing it establishes, stupidy.

That's only when you study inductive arguments in a course such as "Intro to Philosophy".

Once you get into the second branch of Philosophy such as "Critical Thinking" or into Logic courses, you get into Deductive reasoning, which is WAAAAAAAAAAY cool.  

Deductive reasoning and Logic rules!!!

I'm a dork...
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Philosophocal question
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2003, 04:55:16 am »
Quote from: "GSUCarltonFan"
I'm a dork...

Here, here ;)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Philosophocal question
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2003, 10:01:16 pm »
The reason why there are no right answers in Philosophy is because almost all of it is wrong.  Whenever you have equally strong arguments that cancel each other out because they are equal and opposite, both are wrong because of the contradiction they purpose.  Whenever you have this as the case, it just shows how much we don't understand.  That is the only thing it establishes, stupidy.

This whole paragraph depends on if you believe Plato or Socrates.  If you believe Plato, then there IS a correct answer to every philisophical question... we just don't know what it is....
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Philosophocal question
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2003, 11:19:40 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

This whole paragraph depends on if you believe Plato or Socrates.  If you believe Plato, then there IS a correct answer to every philisophical question... we just don't know what it is....

Whenever you have this as the case, it just shows how much we don't understand..

Quote from: "Grakthis"
then there IS a correct answer to every philisophical question... we just don't know what it is....

Btw, I don't agree with either Plato OR Socrates.

EDIT: There is a such thing as an invalid question.  A question which is not sound.  There are tons of them in philosophy.   I believe kev222 is correct in saying that it stimulates more questions but it doesn't make the question legatamite.  Some questions will never be answered directly because of this.  We might have a better understanding which pertains to the nature of the question but once we know more we will know more why the question is flawed.  And it is partly because of these questions that we don't know more because we are going in the wrong direction.

tylor

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
Philosophocal question
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2003, 06:28:01 am »

EDIT: There is a such thing as an invalid question.  A question which is not sound.  There are tons of them in philosophy.  

I think you're confused.

An "invalid argument" is a deduction that has a problem with it's structure.  Commonly the fallacies of the undistributed minor/major premise, or undistributed middle term.  

An "unsound argument" is a deduction which is either a) invalid or b) has at least one premise which is false.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Philosophocal question
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2003, 08:20:13 am »

EDIT: There is a such thing as an invalid question.  A question which is not sound.  There are tons of them in philosophy.  

I think you're confused.

An "invalid argument" is a deduction that has a problem with it's structure.  Commonly the fallacies of the undistributed minor/major premise, or undistributed middle term.  

An "unsound argument" is a deduction which is either a) invalid or b) has at least one premise which is false.

This boy knows his stuff! We have no choice but to listen... :cry:
"I'm all about the wordplay."

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Philosophocal question
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2003, 02:53:21 pm »

I think you're confused.

Actaully, believe it or not I'm not confused.  I said question and not argument.  The question is invalid, for one, because it has no valid answer.  You could say it has three valid answers(or arguments) but because all answers are equally immoral all answers are wrong.  Because all answers are wrong the question is invalid.

tylor

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Philosophocal question
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2003, 05:11:44 am »

I think you're confused.

Actaully, believe it or not I'm not confused.  I said question and not argument.  The question is invalid, for one, because it has no valid answer.  You could say it has three valid answers(or arguments) but because all answers are equally immoral all answers are wrong.  Because all answers are wrong the question is invalid.

tylor

Just because a question doesn't have a valid answer, does that make it an invalid question? I'm not sure. You could say there is an answer that hasn't been presented, and in your opinion all answers are equally immoral- but that doesn't mean thats correct. Maybe i'm wrong, i just know there's a flaw in the statement you just made!
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Philosophocal question
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2003, 07:41:23 am »

tylor

Actually, no.  There is no such thing as an "invalid question".  There is such thing as a question you can't answer due to lack of info.  There are trick questions that have no answer.  But I wouldn't call any of these "invalid".

Just because a question has three valid answers doesn't make the question invalid.  That makes the question debateable.  Which is what any question about an opinion is going to be.

Even if each opinion is equally valid (which depdning on your POV they aren't neccesarily) the question is still a valid question because it tells you a lot about the person answering the question.

In other words, Tylor, you're statement makes no sense.  Explain to me exactly how a question that has multiple answers is invalid?
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew