Author Topic: Ghostwriter  (Read 7591 times)

freshlettuce

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - essaychic
    • View Profile
Ghostwriter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 11:16:24 pm »
Quote from: "notagirl"
I, uh, never seen that show. I liked the asian girl. Not that I've seen that show or anything. I mean, why would I?

Remember when Alex and Tina were suddenly an item?  I remember an episode when they awkwardly kissed while on the steps of a brownstone.  *grimace*

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Ghostwriter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2003, 08:36:35 am »
GHOSTWRITER!! That show was such a legend, it was shown here too. Buuut, i never really got the point of it- it was only ever on BBC when i was ill and i tried so hard to follow the storyline but i was like 'computers? notes? pens? arghhh confused!'- maybe i was too young? I also don't remember them being American at ALL.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

notagirl

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Ghostwriter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2003, 10:34:18 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
GHOSTWRITER!! That show was such a legend, it was shown here too. Buuut, i never really got the point of it- it was only ever on BBC when i was ill and i tried so hard to follow the storyline but i was like 'computers? notes? pens? arghhh confused!'- maybe i was too young? I also don't remember them being American at ALL.

Maybe you had a different cast. Like Coupling here in the US. Or maybe you saw the episode when ghostwriter had to go to the past or something. Not that I watch the show or anything. I mean why would I? Please.
Brunettes Rule!   MMV
CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL!
Cards4Life

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
Ghostwriter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2003, 11:31:10 am »
Like Coupling here in the US.

Oh it was bloody amazing here! I hear it was very poor over there. *sigh*

Or maybe you saw the episode when ghostwriter had to go to the past or something.

Why would Ghostwriter having to go into the past suddenly make them all English!?  8O

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
Ghostwriter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2003, 12:28:30 pm »
rosie it's funny because --- well --- coupling was the british version of friends - it's been stated by the creators they wanted a british version of friends --- but then coupling was such a hit we tried to recreate a british recreation of friends - and it just sucked!!!!
the actors weren't that great - it seemed really overacted, etc...
and the script sucked - was tooooo cheesey

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
Ghostwriter
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2003, 02:20:58 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"

Why would Ghostwriter having to go into the past suddenly make them all English!?  8O

the story was that the kids in NYC found a journal or something and uncoverd this story about something that had happened in the house in the 1900's where one of the kids lived (jamal?).  So Ghostwriter was able to jump into the journal and travel between the two times because he was special like that.  But I don't think he traveled to England.  The kids were defiantely American.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

freshlettuce

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - essaychic
    • View Profile
COUPLING!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 11:37:12 pm »
Quote from: "divasteph"
rosie it's funny because --- well --- coupling was the british version of friends - it's been stated by the creators they wanted a british version of friends --- but then coupling was such a hit we tried to recreate a british recreation of friends - and it just sucked!!!!
the actors weren't that great - it seemed really overacted, etc...
and the script sucked - was tooooo cheesey

Wow.  I just wrote an incredibly long reply to this thread and just got disconnected from the Internet.  Rather than crying, I will give you now the abridged version of what I just spent too much time composing.

1)  I absolutely love British Coupling with the entirety of my soul.  :bday: :bday: :bday:

2)  Poor Rosie has had to listen to my superfluous adoration of the BBC America channel (which brings me British Coupling) on prior occasions.  For that I apologize.  I will continue to sing the praises of this channel anyway, and implore nessaholics everywhere to light a candle to the satellite service that brings BBC America into my home every day of the year.

3)  I agree with Steph that American Coupling was very BLAH.  The acting was poor.  The actors could not convince me that they were the characters.  

I disagree with Steph that the script sucked.  American Coupling uses almost exactly the same script as the British version, and the British version of the same episode is never as bad as what we were subjected to on NBC.  

Okay, yes, I admit some little things are different in the script.  American Coupling did add in a tidbit or two to make things "sexier".  I imagine they'd have to change all of the references to British celebrities as well because I do NOT know who Brit Eckland is.  Do you?  Middle America won't know either.  Help, please.  Who is this mysterious British celebrity?

4) Why I love British Coupling:  Situation comedies rarely make me laugh aloud.  Fucking Friends doesn't make me laugh aloud. British Coupling is so well acted and well written that I laugh throughout the entire episode.  The writing is so clever.  You cannot tell me that there is anything wrong with the scripts - especially when I watch the American Coupling's pilot episode and then I watch the same episode of British Coupling and everything is the same...only British Coupling is a thousand times better.

5)  The character of the goofy male friend who has trouble with the ladies cannot possibly translate to an American version properly.  The American actor played that role like he was a normal person.  The British actor is always spazzing about and he's so good at being a naive outsider...maybe it's the accent?  His not being "English"?  I don't know how the American version could recreate that.  Maybe by bringing in a Canadian?  

6)  Okay, I admit that I'm biased.  Coupling to me is the British version.  That's all I've known.  And it cannot be recreated because those British actors are not actors to me, they are those characters.

7)  Yeah, I know this is the Ghostwriter thread.  But hey, I created it.  So there.  I can digress if I want to.  Besides, I don't think there are enough of us Coupling fans out there to create a proper Coupling thread.

Or is there?  ooooh?

PS
I love Graham Norton.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
Re: COUPLING!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2003, 05:29:42 am »
Quote from: "freshlettuce"

2)  Poor Rosie has had to listen to my superfluous adoration of the BBC America channel (which brings me British Coupling) on prior occasions.  For that I apologize.  I will continue to sing the praises of this channel anyway, and implore nessaholics everywhere to light a candle to the satellite service that brings BBC America into my home every day of the year.

PS
I love Graham Norton.

Well, i must say that you can go on about it ALL you like because i am SO proud of the BBC- more than you can imagine. The idea that there are Americans loving the TV that we created brings tears to my eyes! Have you seen 'My Family'? You might find that quite funny too, oh and you'd ADORE '2 Pints of Larger and a Packet of Crisps'- SUCH a funny show, kind of along the same lines of Coupling. 'Teachers' is similar too, but has the funniest edge to it- they all work in a school (d'uh) but each show has a random theme, like last week in each scene there were dwarves! Like they were the cleaners, or when they were in the pub there were dwarves fighting. Ahhh too.funny.can't.take.it. hee hee

Oh and i <3 Graham Norton too. He is coming to America as far as i know- and he is shown on BBC America but his show is shown on Channel 4 here- its on every night now.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Ghostwriter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2003, 07:25:36 am »
the BBC comes on digital cable as well, and if you live in New York, on our loooooovely Public Broadcasting Station (PBS) station every night from 7-10 p.m. Keeping Up Appearances and Bally Kissangel all the way  8)