Author Topic: International Holidays...  (Read 3810 times)

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
International Holidays...
« on: November 25, 2003, 10:04:38 am »
si requested a seperate thread to discuss holidays...

so if you have a religious holiday or national holiday you would like to discuss or tell us about or explain please do so here...

it seems proper to tell us in the correct season - like lets not talk about the 4th of july or canada day in november...

xoxo

I will start...

coming up in the US is american thanksgiving - thanksgiving is the 3rd thursday of every november the 11th month in the US calender- thanksgiving as the story is told to children is where the pilgrims and native american indians sat and ate together before the pilgrims stole all thier land (white bastards...lol - i am one!)

mostly these days thanksgiving is a celebration of the harvest season and a time to reflect with family and friends on what you are thankful for.

friends and family come in from out of town and stay over to celebrate and the traditional meal consists of home cooked favorites like turkey, stuffing, corn bread, sweet potatoes or yams, green beans, potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc

in most places thursday and friday you are off of work and school and in some situations you  get wednesday off too.

there is a huge parade in nyc every year

xoxo

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 10:20:24 am »
Right Steph, you asked for an explanation of Boxing Day.

Boxing Day- Boxing Day is the day AFTER Christmas Day. It is also considered a day when family come round, we always see my cousins on boxing day. The food is usually cold turkey sandwiches. hee hee, left over from the day before. I think it was supposed to be when all the presents are put into boxes or something? I'm not really sure. I liked to use it too look over all my goodies! Bwhahaha.

When i was little me and my best friend got scared and hid under my parent's bed because we thought it was the day when all the boxers came out- oh dear, young and foolish.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Si

• Fine as dandelions
  • Down a Rabbithole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 10:21:07 am »
In The Netherlands, on Dec 5 & 6:
Sinterklaas.

In the fourth century a.d. St. Nicholas (in dutch called "Sinterklaas" or "Sint Nicolaas") was the bishop of Myra, which is now situated in Turkey. According to the legend, he saved his town from starvation. He is also said to have revived three dead children, and to have offered gifts of dowries to poor girls. Some sources say that he died on the sixth of December in 343.

It is unclear why, according to the Dutch tradition, he comes from Spain. Possibly it has something to do with the fact that St. Nicholas was the patron of sailors. In the 17th century Holland was famous for its navigation. Maybe by contact with Spanish sailors this myth began. It could also explain why St. Nicholas has "zwarte (black) pieten" to help him because the Moors dominated Spain for several hundreds of years. (Another [more popular] explanation for "zwarte piet" being black is that he has come down the chimneys so often that he can't wash the dirt off.)
His legendary gifts of dowries to poor girls led to the custom of giving gifts to children on the eve of his feast day, 6 December. The companions of St. Nicholas show the victory over evil. Together with his "pieten" he visits children to punish the evil ones and to reward the good ones. The worst punishment is to be taken to Spain in "zwarte piet's" bag out of which the good children get the sweets (called "pepernoten", "taai-taai", or "schuimpjes") and presents. A less radical punishment is to get the "roede" (rod) instead of presents. Nowadays there are not much evil children any more...

A few weeks before his feastday St. Nicholas comes to Holland on his steamer with all his "pieten" and the presents which they prepared in Spain during the year. This event can be seen on Dutch television. From his arrival in Holland till his feastday the children can put their shoes in front of the fireplace. During the night St. Nicholas visits all the houses by travelling over the roofs on his horse, traditionally a white/grey (called "Schimmel" in dutch), and "zwarte piet" enters the houses through the chimney to put little presents in the children's shoes. Sometimes the children put straw, carrots and water near the shoe for the horse.

On the eve of his feast day St. Nicholas visits all children. After knocking on the door he gives them a bag full of presents (if they were good children). Early in the morning of 6 December, when he has visited everyone, he leaves and goes back silently to Spain, to come back next year.

And we also have 2nd Christmas day, (in the Uk "Boxing Day")

• SHUT  UP  when  I'm  talking  to  you... !
 You  hear  me?  ANSWER  me !! •

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 10:31:53 am »
boxing day appartently in ryan's canadian version is when you box up all your gifts you don't like and take them back to the store - there are huge sales so you can exchange your gifts and get more because it is cheaper on that day ---

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 10:32:26 am »
so si --- santa comes on the 5 or 6 and not on christmas --- hmmm...

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 10:32:34 am »
Quote from: "Si"

A few weeks before his feastday St. Nicholas comes to Holland on his steamer with all his "pieten" and the presents which they prepared in Spain during the year. This event can be seen on Dutch television. From his arrival in Holland till his feastday the children can put their shoes in front of the fireplace. During the night St. Nicholas visits all the houses by travelling over the roofs on his horse, traditionally a white/grey (called "Schimmel" in dutch), and "zwarte piet" enters the houses through the chimney to put little presents in the children's shoes. Sometimes the children put straw, carrots and water near the shoe for the horse.

Ohhh ohh!  We used to do that in grammar school!  We'd all bring an extra shoe to school and we'd line the halls with them, the next day we'd come back to find that *someone* put schtuff in the shoe!  That was the first I ever heard of such a holiday.

Seems silly for him to give you little gifts when he's preparing for his big holiday in just a few weeks.  LMAO!

Si

• Fine as dandelions
  • Down a Rabbithole
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 10:38:50 am »
Quote from: "divasteph"
so si --- santa comes on the 5 or 6 and not on christmas --- hmmm...

We also have Christmas, Santa = called "Kerstman"
: )

• SHUT  UP  when  I'm  talking  to  you... !
 You  hear  me?  ANSWER  me !! •

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 10:46:21 am »
Every year between the end of November and the end of December, Jewish people around the world celebrate the holiday of Channukah, the Festival of Lights. Channukah begins on the 25th day of the Hebrew month of Kislev, but the starting date on the western calender varies from year to year. The holiday celebrates the events which took place over 2,300 years ago in the land of Judea, which is now Israel

Long ago in the land of Judea there was a Syrian king, Antiochus. The king ordered the Jewish people to reject their God, their religion, their customs and their beliefs and to worship the Greek gods. There were some who did as they were told, but many refused. One who refused was Judah Maccabee

Judah and his four brothers formed an army and chose as their name the word "Maccabee", which means hammer. After three years of fighting, the Maccabees were finally successful in driving the Syrians out of Israel and reclaimed the Temple in Jerusalem. The Maccabees wanted to clean the building and to remove the hated Greek symbols and statues. On the 25th day of the month of Kislev, the job was finished and the temple was rededicated

When Judah and his followers finished cleaning the temple, they wanted to light the eternal light, known as the N'er Tamid, which is present in every Jewish house of worship. Once lit, the oil lamp should never be extinguished

Only a tiny jug of oil was found with only enough for a single day. The oil lamp was filled and lit. Then a miracle occurred as the tiny amount of oil stayed lit not for one day, but for eight days

Jews celebrate Channukah to mark the victory over the Syrians and the rededication of the Jerusalem Temple. The Festival of the Lights, Channukah, lasts for eight days to commemorate the miracle of the oil. The word Chanukah means "rededication"

In America, families celebrate Channukah at home. They give and receive gifts, decorate the house, entertain friends and family, eat special foods, and light the holiday menorah called a channukiah

on channukah you eat potato latkes (potato pancakes) that are fried in oil - it symbolizes the oil from the lamp - they are topped with sour cream or applesauce - it's a personal taste thing - personally i dig the sour cream...

you play dreidle (a 4 sided flat top) you spin the dreidle and depending on the hebrew letter is lands on you get chocolate candies shaped like coins called gelt

print and make your own dreidle...

Playing Dreidel

The dreidel is a four-sided spinning top, also called a "s'vivon," in Hebrew. On each side is a Hebrew letter: "Nun," "Gimel," "Hay" and "Shin."

The letters stand for the phrase, "Nes Gadol Hayah Sham - a great miracle happened there." It is traditionally used to play a lively Chanukah game.

Each player places some raisins, candies, or nuts into a kitty, and the players take turns spinning the dreidel. "Nun" means nothing, you win nothing, you lose nothing. "Gimel" means you take all. "Hay" means you win half of what is in the kitty. "Shin" means you lose, and must put more into the kitty.

TSE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 10:53:05 am »
Saint Lucia Day!

December 13 - Feast of Saint Lucia (or Lucy for the simple minded hehe)

Saint Lucy is the patron saint of blindness so her feast day is on one of the shortest days of the year.  Lucy wanted to commit her life to God, but her mother had other plans and aranged for a marriage with a pagan.  Lucy knew that it was really Christ who was calling her though, so she went to the tomb of St. Agatha, and prayed for her mother's illness to be healed.  When it was her mother believed that Lucy was supposed to serve Christ and not marry the pagan dude (lol dude, can we tell this is the story on my terms?).  

So then the pagan was kinda pissed off that he didn't get to marry Lucy, and he went to the governor and betrayed her as a Christian, which was totally not a cool thing during the 6th century.  The governor  tried to send her into prostitution but the guards who went to get her couldn't get her to move . . .NOW THE COOLEST PART So pain and torture blah blah blah and SHE GOT HER EYES GOUGED OUT!!  That's why she's the patron of the bilnd.

So then the folks in Sweden and Norway , where its like night for 24 hours of the day during the winter, decided to celebrate her feast by doing some schtuff.

The oldest daughter in the family wakes up at 4 in the morning (I've done this, not fun, too early, need more sleep)  and they dress in a white gown with a red sash, and she wears a crown of evergreens and white candles (that part is fun it doesn't get much better than lit candles on your head) and she goes around with a tray of these coffee cake type things waking up her family.  Only, well it's not very GOOD coffee cake, not like that crumbly sttuff that entenmanns makes.  

My mom took pictures of me doing this one year, let me see if I can dig them up/

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 11:06:29 am »
i love santa lucia - it's sooooo pretty and the song rocks!!!

TSE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 11:17:02 am »
edited...

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 11:22:09 am »
i have a bunch of swedish friends and they have taken me to the santa lucia event at a church here in atlanta and it is so pretty and beautiful if you get a chance please go - all the songs were in swedish but they were so pretty ---

oh and little boys wear like wizards hats with stars on them - i dont know why maybe C does???

no stepping on toes...but found this

Throughout Sweden the feast day of Lucia, or Lucy, is celebrated as a festival of lights. In the early hours of the morning of December 13 a young woman, dressed in a white gown, and wearing a red sash and a crown of lingonberry twigs and blazing candles, would go from one farm to the next carrying a torch to light her way, bringing baked goods, stopping to visit at each house and returning home by break of day. Every village had its own Lucia. The custom is thought to have begun in some of the richer farming districts of Sweden and still persists although the crowns are now electric lights.

In Norway and Sweden it is still a custom on December 13 for a girl in a white dress (representing the Saint), to bring a tray of saffron buns and steaming coffee to wake the family. She is called the "Lussibrud" (Lucy bride) and her pastry (saffron buns) is Lussekattor. Today many families have a Lucia-Queen in their own home, often the youngest daughter, who wakes the rest of the family with song.

Lucia symbolizes light and growth for human and beast as she emerges out of the darkness. She is said to have been beheaded by the sword during the persecutions of Diocletian at Catania in Sicily. Her body was later brought to Constantinople and finally to Venice, where she is now resting in the church of Santa Lucia. Because her name means "light" she very early became the great patron saint for the "light of the body"--the eyes. Many of the ancient light and fire customs of the Yuletide became associated with her day. Thus we find "Lucy candles" lighted in the homes and "Lucy fires" burned in the outdoors. Before the Reformation Saint Lucy's Day was one of unusual celebration and festivity because, for the people of Sweden and Norway, she was the great "light saint" who turned the tides of their long winter and brought the light of the day to renewed victory.

Before the calendar reform, her original feast day (the day of her martyrdom) happened to fall on the shortest day of the year. The winter solstice was December 13 by the Julian calendar rather than December 21, which it became with the change to the Gregorian calendar in the 1300s, linking it with the far older Yule and Winter festivals of pre-Christian times. Lucy's lore survived the Reformation and calendar reform, which brought the solstice to December 23.

Another Scandianavian custom was for children, on the eve of December 13, to write the word "Lussi" on doors, fences, and walls. In ancient times the purpose of this practice was to announce to the demons of winter that their reign was broken on Saint Lucy's Day, that the sun would return again and the days become longer. "Lucy fires" used to be burned in many parts of northern Europe on December 13. Into the bonfires people would throw incense, and while the flames rose, trumpets and flutes were playing to celebrate the changing of the suns's course.

From Weiser, The Holyday Book

i found a pic of the wizards hats ... its a cartoon but still

and here is the song in swedish and english

Sankta Lucia
Natten går tunga fjät runt gård och stuva.
Kring jord som sol förlät, skuggorna ruva.
Då i vårt mörka hus, stiger med tända ljus,
Sankta Lucia, Sankta Lucia.

Natten var stor och stum. Nu hör, det svingar,
i alla tysta rum, sus som av vingar.
Se på vår tröskel står vitkläd, med ljus i hår,

Mörkret skall flykta snart ur jordens dalar.
Så hon ett underbart ord till oss talar.
Dagen skall åter gry, stiga ur rosig sky,

In English

Sankta Lucia

Nightly, go heavy hearts
Round farm and steading
On earth, where sun departs,
shadows are spreading.
Then on our darkest night,
Comes with her shining light
Sankta Lucia! Sankta Lucia!
Then on our darkest night,
Comes with her shining light

Night-darkling, huge and still.
Hark, something's stirring!
In all our silent rooms,
Wingbeats are whisp'ring!
Stands on our threshold there,
White clad, lights in her hair,
Stands on our threshold there,
White clad, lights in her hair,

Darkness shall fly away
Through earthly portals.
She brings such wonderful
words to us mortals!
Daylight, again renewed,
will rise, all rosy-hued!
Daylight, again renewed,
will rise, all rosy-hued.

ahhhhh ha!!!

and i found this...
Lucia Celebration
According to legend, Lucia was a medieval saint who carried food and drink to hungry folk in the province of Värmland during a period of famine. She was seen across lake Vänern with her white gown and crown of lights, much like today's Lucia costume with the same gown and crown.
The Lucia legend is said to have originated in Syracuse on the island of Sicily. A young girl about to be a bride gave her entire dowry to the poor of her village and admitted she had become Christian. She was accused of witchcraft and burned at the stake on December 13, 304 AD. Much later in history, the early church made her a saint, Santa Lucia.
Italian artists sometimes picture her as a blind girl holding a lamp. There are many legends, but in each one Lucia stands for the symbol of light and hope to mankind. Santa Lucia's coming begins the feasting, merriment, singing and the spirit of friendliness and goodwill that lasts all through the holidays.
Selma Lagerlöf's Lucia legend tells of the good wife of a mean nobleman, distributing food to starving farmers. This is the legend that caught on in Sweden. And when a Swedish text was put to an Italian song (about a very needy Neapolitan harbour area) the Swedish Lucia came of age.
When, in the 1920s, a Stockholm newspaper arranged a contest to choose a Lucia-girl to represent the city, the custom spread like wildfire.
Today Lucia morning is celebrated in practically every Swedish home, and every community, office, school or club chooses a Lucia who - dressed in a white gown and with a crown of candles in her hair - brings a tray of coffee, traditionally shaped saffron rolls, and ginger cookies. She is usually accompanied by a train of white-clad attendants, the girls wearing glitter in their hair and the boys wearing tall paper cones with stars on their heads.
They all sing the traditional Lucia carols.

xoxo

TSE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 11:43:06 am »
ehhh I can't find any good pictures

this is the first year I did it though (I'm like 7 and VERY TIRED)

Yeah, that sounds nicer than what I wrote, I just made it up as I went along. . .well not made it up, but I just wrote what I could think of.

I think the boys (star boys? or something) light the candles, I don't know, we never did that, we just do a small Americanized version.

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 11:44:47 am »
how cute christine - i bet you make a lovely lucia - these days!!!

LimeTwister

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 12:39:00 pm »
sadly i don't follow much of my heritages' traditions...

I have a lot of nationalities though...but my last name is swedish...so that looks interesting!