Author Topic: Bdub's Film Reviews  (Read 38300 times)

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2004, 03:56:12 am »
Watched "The 4th Floor" on DVD this weekend.

I had picked this up from WalMart for 5 bucks a while back....seemed interesting...and it was....

A young woman (Juliette Lewis) moves into a new apartment that she inherited from her aunt, who had died there in a bizarre accident. She is immediately confronted by totally bizarre neighbors and someone is obviously out to get her as mice and flies engulf her apartment. But with the array of weirdos around her, who might it be? Everyone warns her to stay away from her upstairs neighbor (Austin Pendleton), but he is the only one who shows any kindness. Supposedly the neighbor below her is an 80 year old woman, but she hammers the floor so hard when the young woman moves furniture that she breaks tiles. Another neighbor (Shelley Duvall) seems kind enough to begin with, but later seems more interfering and threatening. Also her weatherman boy friend (William Hurt) can't be ruled out. Contrary to his desire for her to move in with him, she moved into her aunt's apartment.

Overall it was a good movie that was hard to predict, however I was left wondering "why?" at the end.  I wont ruin it for you incase you decide to check it out.

Juliette Lewis gives a good performance as does Austin Pendleton.  I kind of expect a little better performance from Academy Award Winner William Hurt, but he did  a decent job.

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2004, 04:01:59 am »
Second movie I saw this weekend was Will Ferrell in Anchorman.

Ferrell plays the legendary news reporter Ron Burgundy, who is loved by nearly all of San Diego.  When feminism marches into the newsroom in the form of ambitious newswoman Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate), Ron is willing to play along at first-as long as Veronica stays in her place, covering cat fashion shows, cooking, and other "female" interests. But when Veronica refuses to settle for being eye candy and steps behind the news desk, it's more than a battle between two perfectly coiffed anchor-persons... it's war.

Will Ferrell is hilarious as always, however I think Steve Carrell stole the movie as the weatherman Brick Tamland.  (You may remember Carrell as playing a news reporter in Bruce Almighty)

I loved all the cameos by Tim Robbins, Luke Wilson, Ben Stiller, and Jack Black.

Very funny and very good.  GO SEE IT!

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2004, 04:42:31 am »
The Notebook

I had wanted to see this for a while and finally got the chance friday.  I liked this movie a lot.  I'm not much for sappy love stories, but this was a good one.  

Plot:  The movie focuses on an old man (James Garner) reading a story to an old woman (Gena Rowlands) in a nursing home. The story he reads follows two young lovers named Allie Hamilton (Rachel McAdams) and Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling), who meet one evening at a carnival. But they are separated by Allie's parents who dissaprove of Noah's unwealthy family, and move Allie away. After waiting for Noah to write her for several years, Allie meets and gets engaged to a handsome young soldier named Lon (James Marsden). After seeing Noah's photo in a news paper for a house that he built (specifically for Allie), she goes back to the town to see him. It is evident that they still have feelings for each other, and Allie has to choose between her first love and the man her parents approve of.

Great story with a talented you cast.

Rachel McAdams was ten times better in The Notebook than Mean Girls.  Of course they were two completely different parts, but still.  I'm expecting big things from her in future films.  She's a really actress, and has got the looks as well.

This was Ryan Gosling's best acting yet (although I haven't seen The Believer or The United States of Leland, which I've heard he was magnificent in *makes note to check out these two films*).

Fine job by James Garner,  Gena Rowlands and James Marsden as well as Joan Allen and Sam Shepard.

Ladies...go see it.....Gentlemen.......take your ladies to see it.....

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2004, 05:04:23 am »
Raising Cain...picked this one up for $5.50 at WalMart....

Jenny Nix (Lolita Davidovich), wife of eminent child psychologist Carter Nix (John Lithgow), becomes increasingly concerned about her husband's seemingly obsessive concern over the upbringing of their daughter. Her own adulterous affair with an old flame Jack (Steven Bauer), however, causes her to neglect her motherly duties until a spate of local kidnapings forces her to accept the possibility that Carter may be trying to recreate the twisted mind-control experiments of his discreditied psychologist father.

I love psychological thrillers.

John Lithgow (who I haven't seen in any recent movies other than his voice work in Shrek), proves here that he is a wonderful wonderful actor.  He actually plays a few characters in this movie, and is amazing at each one.

Rent this...buy this...some how just see it... :D

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2004, 03:57:48 am »
I saw a few movies this weekend....three on DVD and one in Theaters....

First DVD I watched was "Poltergeist."

Plot:               While living an an average family house in a pleasant neighborhood, the youngest daughter of the Freeling family, Carol Anne (Heather O'Rourke), seems to be connecting with the supernatural through a dead channel on the televison. It is not for long when the mysterious beings enter the house's walls. At first seeming like harmless ghosts, they play tricks and amuse the family, but they take a nasty turn- they horrify the family to death with angry trees and murderous dolls, and finally abduct Carol Anne into her bedroom closet, which seems like the entrance to the other side.

Directed by Tobe Hooper and written by Steven Spielberg, the movie is really freaky, with some really good F/X for 1982.  Except for the scene where the dude rips the skin from his own face...you could tell how fake that was....nasty....but fake  :razz:

The acting was good.  Craig T. Nelson as the father was good.  You don't see much of him since that show "Coach" went off the air.

JoBeth Williams as the mother was good to.  Again...don't see much of her around lately either.

The star of the movie though was the little girl, Heather O'Rourke.  She was only 5 (or so) when the movie was made, but she was terrific in it.  Tragically, she died during the filming of the third Poltergeist movie.  Such a shame.  She was a talented young actress and showed her ability in this film.

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2004, 04:19:03 am »
The Village

Shyamalan has amazed me once again with his talent.  This was a great movie, although not at all what I was expecting.  It even took me a moment afterwards to realize the I did love it.

The Village depicts the thrilling tale of an isolated town confronting the astonishing truth that lies just outside its borders. At first glance, this village seems picture perfect, but this close-knit community lives with the frightening knowledge that creatures reside in the surrounding woods. The evil and foreboding force is so unnerving that none dare venture beyond the borders of the village and into the woods. But when curious, headstrong Lucius Hunt (Joaquin Phoenix) plans to step beyond the boundaries of the town and into the unknown, his bold move threatens to forever change the future of the village.

I like how Shyamalan doesn't focus too much on the creatures, but more on the people in the town.  (He did the same in "Signs", not  focusing so much on the aliens, but on the family).  

The film stars Joaquin Phoenix, Williams Hurt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Sigourney Weaver, Brendan Gleeson, Adrien Brody, Judy Greer and Michael Pitt.

Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron Howard's daughter) showed her acting skills.  She did a great job, and I look forward to seeing her in more feature films.

Adrien Brody was amazing.  His character is mentally slow, and he handled that really well.  I think we all know he's an amazing actor...he has won an Oscar for his acting ability.

Phoenix was great as well.  He plays kind of a quiet and shy character, but strong willed and very brave.  Magnificent job.  Wouldn't be surprised if he gets an Oscar someday....maybe not for this film, but he's filming "Walk the Line" right now, a biopic on Johnny Cash.

William Hurt (another Oscar winner) and Sigourney Weaver (an Oscar nominee) are also really good in this movie.  They are classic actors, and continue to show why they are award winners.

I loved the movie.

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2004, 04:28:56 am »
The Underneath...another $5.50 DVD from Walmart  :D

The film was directed by Ocean's 11 director Steven Soderbergh and stars Peter Gallagher, Allison Elliot, William Fichtner, Joe Don Baker, and Elisabeth Shue.

Michael Chambers (Gallagher) returns home to celebrate his mother's marriage. He had been ousted from his home town due to his gambling indiscretions and had left his girlfriend, Rachel (Allison Elliot) to deal with the mess he created. He now must reassimulate back into the town, renew his relationships with his family and friends (and enemies) and, most-of-all, seek out his ex-girlfriend to woo her again. In the process, he obtains a job working with his mother's new husband (Joe Don Baker) as an armored car driver. He almost seems the perfect prodigal son as he finds his niche back in the community and his way back into his ex's heart. His troubles surmount when he and his Rachel are caught in the act by her hoodlum boyfriend/fiancée (Fichtner). To get out of this predicament, Michael must concoct a plan to heist of a payroll being carried by his armored car company.

A decent "who can you trust" flick.  Well worth my $5.50   :D

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2004, 04:35:29 am »
The Bourne Identity

I wanted to refresh my memory before I go and see Supremacy this weekend.

Damn what a cool movie.

Based Robert Ludlum's novel, the Bourne Identity is the story of a man whose wounded body is discovered by fisherman who nurse him back to health. He can remember nothing and begins to try to rebuild his memory based on clues such as the Swiss bank account, the number of which, is implanted in his hip. He soon realizes that he is being hunted and takes off with Marie (Franke Potenke) on a search to find out who he is and why he is being hunted.

Great fight scenes and really good acting make this movie great.  Matt Damon is at his best as Jason Bourne, and Chris Cooper plays a pretty good asshole.  I haden't heard of Franke Potenke before this film, but she is really good actress.  I gotta see what else she's been in (other than Supremacy  :razz:  )

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2004, 05:19:38 am »
The Bourne Supremacy

I loved this movie....more than the first one I think....but they were both really really good.  I was a tad disappointed at one point towards the beginning, but I got over it quickly.

When a CIA operation to purchase classified Russian documents is blown by a rival agent--who then shows up in the sleepy seaside village where Bourne (Matt Damon) and Marie (Franke Potente) have been living under assumed names--the pair collapse their lives and head out. Bourne, who promised retaliation should anyone from his former life attempt contact, is forced to once again take up his life as a trained assassin to survive

Matt Damon continues to prove that he can be a great action star.

Brian Cox, who was also in the first film, has always been an amazing, intense actor.  Brilliant acting in this film.

Joan Allen was added to the cast, and she was really good as well.

Excellent film with an awesome car chase seen.

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2004, 05:25:19 am »
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen

Ok...I rented this for my girlfriend.....once in awhile I have to satisfy her movie requests, just like with Mean Girls (which turned out to be an okay movie)

However, I didn't like this one as much and they weren't too far apart from basically being the same movie with Lindsey Lohan just plaing different characters.

Based on the teen novel of the same name, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen follows Lola, a newly displaced teen, whose family has relocated from the trendy life of New York City to the urban sprawl of Dellwood, New Jersey. Out of place in the surburban town, Lola sets her sights on the lead in the school play while fantasizing about her favorite rock group and how her life should be. When she learns that her favorite rock group is disbanding and is going to put on their final farewell concert in New York City, Lola pulls out all the stops to make it to the concert and meet the lead singer, Stu Wolff.

Decent acting on most parts.  Lohan was "eh", better in Mean Girls.  Adam Garcia was pretty funny as a drunken lead singer to her favorite band.  And the rest of the cast was tolerable.

I'll give it one

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2004, 10:18:49 am »
Rented Eurotrip...

I love stupid humor....this movie was so funny....

The film stars mostly people I've never heard of...Scott Mechlowicz, Jacob Pitts, Travis Wester and Michelle Trachtenberg (the only name I recognize from the main cast)...plus some great cameos by, Vinnie Jones, Kristen Kruek, Lucy Lawless and Matt Damon "singing" the very catchy song, "Scotty Doesn't Know"

Okay...so what's it all about...When Scotty's German online pen pal suggests they meet, he initially freaks out. But then he discovers that she's gorgeous, and heads out with three friends after graduation to meet her. As they travel across Europe, the four friends have hysterical comical misadventures.  The robot fighting scene, although really stupid...was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing.

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2004, 10:27:06 am »
Tigerland

This is another DVD I've had for a long time and finally decided to watch it.

The film is directed by Joel Schumacher and stars Colin Farrel in one of his first leading roles.

In September 1971, a platoon of recruits arrives in Ft. Polk, LA, for infantry training before leaving for war. The final week takes place in Tigerland, a swamp similar to Vietnam. Jim Paxton (Matthew Davis) has enlisted; he wants to experience everything and write books later. He befriends Roland Bozz (Colin Farrel), a cool Texan with a gift for getting into trouble and for helping misfits get discharges. At least one sociopath in the platoon hates Bozz, even as the sergeants grudgingly recognize his leadership abilities. As the platoon heads into its week in Tigerland, Paxton's body gives out, Bozz makes plans to go AWOL, and the sociopath gets hold of live ammo.

The film also stars Tom Guiry, Clifton Collins Jr. and Cole Hauser.

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT FILM!  Great acting, great directing and a great story.  This is a must see film for EVERYONE.  Go buy it.  It's only $5.99 at Best Buy or $5.50 at WalMart.

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2004, 10:29:32 am »
I saw Collateral last night....

Great movie directed by Michael Mann and starring Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, Jada Pinkett Smith, Mark Ruffalo, Peter Berg, Javier Bardem and a brief appearance by Jason Stathem.

Max (Foxx) has lived a mundane life as a cab driver for twelve years. The faces have come and gone from his rear-view mirror: people and places he's long since forgotten--until tonight. Vincent (Cruise) is a contract killer. When an off-shore narco-trafficking cartel learns that they're about to be indicted by a federal grand jury, they mount an operation to identify and kill the key witnesses. It is on this very night that Vincent has arrived--and five bodies are supposed to fall. Circumstances cause Vincent to hijack Max' taxicab, and Max becomes collateral--an expendable person who's in the wrong place at the wrong time. Through the night, Vincent forces Max to drive him to each assigned destination. And as the L.A.P.D. and F.B.I. race to intercept them, Max and Vincent's survival become dependent on each other, in ways neither would have imagined.

Excellent intense film, with a wee bit of humor in all the right places....it's one of those films where you can't tell whose side your on because you don't want either of them (Cruise or Foxx in this case) to get hurt....

It's nice to see Cruise in the anti-hero role for a change....it's not too often (if ever?) that he's taken this type of character.....I loved it.....awesome job....

and then there is Jamie Foxx, who I think is well on his way to mega stardom....excellent acting in this film (not to mention his possible Oscar-nomination role as Ray Charles in the film "Ray")....

TSE

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2004, 11:31:16 am »
What's the max number of thumbs?

BWilli

• View Profile
Bdub's Film Reviews
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2004, 04:51:16 am »
Watched Kill Bill Vol. 2 last night.....

I gotta tell ya....I loved Vol. 1, but I loved the second half even more.

There were five on her list. Now it's three. O-Ren Ishii and Vernita Green were the first to fall, now The Bride (Uma Thurman) is out to finish the job by killing Elle Driver (Daryl Hannah), Budd (Michael Madsen), and last of all, Bill (David Carradine). If the final three aren't afraid now, they better start, because she's coming for them. However, something has thrown off her plans a bit. Her daughter (whom she was pregnant with as she was getting married) is still alive. What affect this will have on her quest for vengeance is unclear, but the question is, will The Bride have actually succeeded in completing her ultimate goal, to kill Bill?

I was glad to see more of Budd and Bill in this film.  Michael Madsen is a cool actor (go rent Reservoir Dogs if you haven't seen it) and was even cooler in Kill Bill Vol. 2.

I haven't seen much of David Carradine's stuff (except for maybe a few episodes of Kung Fu on TV, but that's about it).  He was really really good in this.  What an amazing actor. Brilliant

Of course Uma...excellent again as The Bride. I've never been a huge fan of hers (didn't care for Gattaca, didn't see Paycheck), but this role has pushed her pretty far.  Her role in Pulp Fiction definatley put her on the map to stardom, but this will be the role she'll always be remembered for.  (Nothing against Pulp Fiction though, it's one of the best movies ever made  :D )

And Tarantino continues to show why he is so good at what he does.  I can't wait to see what type of film he does next (although I hope it's not a Bond movie...I've heard he really wants to direct the next one....not his type of movie I feel)...