Author Topic: "White Houses" interpretation  (Read 2973 times)

Jaded Rogue

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - acannoyin
    • View Profile
    • Email
"White Houses" interpretation
« on: September 08, 2004, 08:32:58 am »
Ok--so I got the idea for this thread from the VC boards. It started off as someone saying that they didn't like the video, and eventually unraveled itself into a "How do you interpret the video and song" thread. I decided that this was pretty interesting, lol, and wanted to share it here.

So, how do you all interpret the song? This was my response:

"White Houses" reminds me of purity, and innocence. Like "White"--the color. Pure. And then "houses" I think of doll houses.

Since the song is about coming-of-age, I really thought it related. One losing their virginity--and "holding secrets...in white houses"....I just thought it was like, her secret self. Finding herself, possibly being ashamed, and cloaking it over w/ a facade of innocence.

I dunno. I think something along those lines. I'm not quite good at explaining myself, lol, but I'm sure you get the point. I don't think that there is any --one-- right answer, unless she herself says that there is, and even then--people interpret things entirely differently.

HELLO--music is the universal language, lol.

I'm nuts.

~~Jaded Rogue
-------------------------------------

So, how about you all now?

~~Jaded Rogue
.+.Don't Give Up Five Minutes Before The Miracle.+.
.[one].[more].[day].[in].[paradise].

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 09:53:57 am »
i think that's the general consensus.
i wonder if anyone's considered that on top of the "white houses" metaphor, the bungalow itself could also be a white house.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

Jaded Rogue

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - acannoyin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 10:12:15 am »
Oh--I forgot all about the bungalow. Heh--how did I miss that?

~~Jaded Rogue
.+.Don't Give Up Five Minutes Before The Miracle.+.
.[one].[more].[day].[in].[paradise].

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 11:25:24 am »
This has all been pretty well established.  Rosie figured it out like a month ago.

The Bungalo (white house) is like a cabin at a dance camp where she would have been staying for the summer.

It's basically about summer camp.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 12:40:24 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
This has all been pretty well established.  Rosie figured it out like a month ago.

The Bungalo (white house) is like a cabin at a dance camp where she would have been staying for the summer.

I might be wrong though! I think its either about ballet school/summer camp (or both?) where she grew up. And the changes that are going on in her life- loving ballet, leaving ballet etc etc.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 01:33:46 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Quote from: "Grakthis"

I might be wrong though! I think its either about ballet school/summer camp (or both?) where she grew up. And the changes that are going on in her life- loving ballet, leaving ballet etc etc.

Have some confidence little one.  :wink:
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Lucy-san

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 11:48:05 pm »
Yeah I agree with all of that stuff! Lots of it is very clever and I hadnt thought of...I always pictured the white houses as like...the quintessential childhood home...with the WHITE picket fence kinda thing. The place where you are most comfotable and you stow away all your worries, foolishly thinking they'll go away if you hide them.

And yeah, definitely a whole coming-of-age theme. I think its definitely about some realtionship she had, just for the sake of having a relationship...if you know what I mean. Under the influence of peer pressure perhaps? Feeling inferior to the other girls, and trying to make up for some lost ground. And putting excessive trust and emotional energy into a person who you "love", or so you think. I kind of know what she means. When your whole world hinges on what that person thinks of you. And you're up so high, that there has to be some downfall. And you know that on some level, but you keep on sacrificing everything else even though its all gonna crumble. And then when it does...you're screwed! And it never leaves you. You realise you werent ready...all you truly want is to just be with your friends innocently in your house. Moral...guys dont actually deserve trust! And girls try too hard to be more mature than they actually are!

Whoa...RANT!

Lucy-san

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 11:53:45 pm »
Oh and what do you all think these lines are about:

"I can't resist the day"?
"jenny screams our and its no pose"?
"cause when she dances she goes and goes"?
"I'm so excited, I haven't spoken"?