Author Topic: Avoiding the Sophomore Jinx [ new article ]  (Read 2729 times)

ThomasEj

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
Avoiding the Sophomore Jinx [ new article ]
« on: November 17, 2004, 01:58:51 am »
Avoiding the Sophomore Jinx
Singer/songwriter Vanessa Carlton returns with a more personal album, 'Harmonium'

By Jill Kipnis
Billboard

LOS ANGELES -- Vanessa Carlton is realistic.

She knows today's musical environment is not always friendly toward pop-oriented artists who play their instruments and write their own songs as she does.

In fact, Carlton says she is gladly straddling the fence between "being true to myself as a musician and being embraced commercially" with her sophomore album, "Harmonium."

"It's nice to be back and be the alternative to the more calculated, poppy acts out there," the 24-year-old artist says.

"I feel lucky that I'm able to appeal to real music lovers, and it also somehow works in a really commercial way without me sacrificing or selling myself out."

The 10-track "Harmonium," which was produced by Carlton's beau, Third Eye Blind's Stephan Jenkins, and executive-produced by Carlton and A&M Records president Ron Fair, indeed showcases her coming into her own. The album is full of beautiful, classical-leaning piano riffs and features more heartfelt lyrics than her 2002 debut, "Be Not Nobody."

"The first album was more formal. It was Vanessa Carlton in an elegant party dress," Fair notes. "This is her in Birkenstocks and jeans."

"Be Not Nobody," which earned the artist four Grammy Award nominations, peaked at No. 5 on The Billboard 200 and remained on the chart for 51 weeks.

The album's debut single, "A Thousand Miles," topped the Adult Contemporary chart for seven weeks and the Mainstream Top 40 chart for five. It spent 41 weeks on The Billboard Hot 100 and peaked at No. 5.

The new album's first single, "White Houses," is No. 28 with a bullet on the Mainstream Top 40 chart.

Carlton calls "White Houses," which features an upbeat tempo and building piano chord progressions, a "metaphor for simple innocence. It's about the irony of these simple mundane places that hold so much controversy and pain and triumph all at the same time."

Carlton's reach is expected to grow through upcoming tour dates and TV appearances.She also wants to branch out into other musical outlets.

"After this album, I'd like to score a film," Carlton says. "That's something I want to get into, because I know I could be 65 and wrinkly and still be writing music. I'm also looking to incorporate dance, maybe go into theater or Broadway, and incorporate all the things that I do and love so much into one production or show."

you can find it HERE

I love bold part
Everything changes Friends become strangers
What we hold so dear slips away
The past keeps on fading, but I'll never forget you

Lord Star

• Make me high on lullabies
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - solarianni
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 02:03:38 am »
Now I know what White Houses mean, coming from vanessa carlton! Thanks for posting!

"Avoiding the Sophomore jinx"... hmmmmmmmm :roll:

Corrsgirl1

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 02:48:10 am »
I love Vanessa's music but i doubt if it would fit in a movie.......
Still it would be very cool!!
Pretty Baby...Leave Me Breathless!!!!!!

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 03:27:19 am »
How about writing a ballet Vanessa?

emmy

• ICQ Messenger - 62879091
    • MSN Messenger - emilyct84@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ieatpijunz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ceruleantown.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 09:20:43 am »
That would be really nifty to see her on Broadway, hehehe.  Interesting.  Thanks for posting!

katiakaysha: I MUST DO MY PEEPEES

Chloe

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - evanessa831
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Nessaholic831
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 09:52:37 am »
nice article.... is it just me, or is all these articles not being able to mention Stephen without mentioning him as Vanessa's significant other getting REEEEALLY old? :roll:

Things are going crazy and I'm not sure who to blame...
November 9th 2004...H a r m o n i u m!!!
Spare me just three last words, I love you is all she heard...

amberbeads

• AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 10:16:51 am »
Quote from: "AFallingStar"
nice article.... is it just me, or is all these articles not being able to mention Stephen without mentioning him as Vanessa's significant other getting REEEEALLY old? :roll:

Most definitely. I don't see what that has anything to do with it. He produced her album, yeah. But it doesn't matter if he's her boyfriend or not.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.