Author Topic: Walk the Line  (Read 4431 times)

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Walk the Line
« on: December 01, 2004, 06:34:51 am »
I'm kinna diggin' the recent flow of biopics that are being made (I still have to see Ray)

This film is about Johnny Cash, who is being played by Joaquin Phoenix (another actor I have new respect for...great actor).  Reese Witherspoon is finally taking a break from the Legally Blonde series to take on a more serious role (thank God) as she plays June Carter...

check out some pics here

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=5938

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Walk the Line
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 08:10:53 pm »
I really enjoyed this film. Minus the whole him and other women, being in love with another woman for over 10 years, infidelity thing. But they were married for 35 years and after June passed, Johnny passed 4 months later, how sweet/sad.

It was funny to see Tyler Hilton as Elivs.

I really think that it would have been better if they used Johnny and June's actual recordings instead of Joaquin and Reese's.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Walk the Line
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 06:50:59 am »
Quote from: "NESSAussie"
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
I just saw 'Walk The Line' last night.  It's very good, about as good as you can get trying to tell a 24-year story in under two hours.  If you can get past a couple of seemingly minor historical inaccuracies, you'll love it! :D

The producers can be forgiven for any historical inaccuracies (given the issues
like substance abuse that the film deals with, an excellent bio-pic with current
relevance and an appeal to a broader demographic). Deserves its own thread

Witherspoon is absolutely as irresistable as Phoenix is convincing; worth 8/10

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Walk the Line
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 06:52:29 am »
Quote from: "eclv"
I really think that it would have been better if they used Johnny and June's actual recordings instead of Joaquin and Reese's.

I don't know, I think they both did a pretty authentic job with their vocals. It would've sounded/seemed really weird if they'd used original recs, imo.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Walk the Line
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:17:36 am »
Quote from: "amberbeads"

I don't know, I think they both did a pretty authentic job with their vocals. It would've sounded/seemed really weird if they'd used original recs, imo.

I was blown away by how close they got to the originals.  It's always jarring to hear a dialogue track recorded yesterday, then go back to an original recording, so obviously NOT the people you are seeing onscreen.

It's even more amazing that both of them wanted off the movie, and said so to James Mangold, who ended up convincing them to stay.  Another Hollywood story?  Perhaps.  Great performances?  Absolutely.

Dan/NS

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Walk the Line
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:41:56 am »
ahh, i still have to see this.  own the dvd so hopefully get a chance to watch it soon

Aaron

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theycallmeslurpy
    • View Profile
Walk the Line
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:02:02 am »
Quote from: "BWilli"
ahh, i still have to see this.  own the dvd so hopefully get a chance to watch it soon

You'll love it. It's one of my favorites.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Walk the Line
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 10:57:10 am »
If the voices were so similar then why not use original recordings? They were lip syncing to their own tracks anyway, what's the big deal? It just would have made it more authentic to me. Like in Selena, it wasn't Jennifer Lopez singing it was all Selena recordings, which is what the family wanted.

At the end of the movie the played one and Reese didn't sound so much like June imo.

LimeTwister

Walk the Line
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 10:59:54 am »
I am going to borrow the DVD from a friend and watch it soon...I was going to go to the theater to watch it but never got to it!

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Walk the Line
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 09:47:08 am »
If the voices were so similar then why not use original recordings? They were lip syncing to their own tracks anyway, what's the big deal? It just would have made it more authentic to me. Like in Selena, it wasn't Jennifer Lopez singing it was all Selena recordings, which is what the family wanted.

At the end of the movie the played one and Reese didn't sound so much like June imo.

Sony would have to have been paid a king's ransom for licensing the tracks, adding thousands, maybe millions of dollars to the budget.  And they would have been lip syncing to someone else's tracks, which seems even less real, to me.  Johnny and June weren't on screen, which is why I make that subjective distinction.

I don't think J. Lo can carry a tune in a bucket with wheels, so any attempt to re-record would have been a disaster and not an option.  At the time, both J. Lo and Selena were only minorly known, which worked for the film. Gregory Nava made a moving portrait of Selena's life, so much so that I have to turn her music off when I hear it; it is far too upsetting.

Dan/NS