Author Topic: Will Vanessa make a comeback or remain as is?  (Read 16388 times)

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Will Vanessa make a comeback or remain as is?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 09:17:07 am »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
Do we know which label she's with now?  Is it indie?  

Yeah, I'm wondering too...
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 10:21:33 am »
Quote from: "Ghisy"
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
Do we know which label she's with now?  Is it indie?  

Yeah, I'm wondering too...

Nobody knows anything concrete.  The only evidence that MAYBE she has not switched from an Interscope record label is that the O-board is still up.

Dan/NS

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 12:43:25 pm »
If she got completely released from Interscope, that news would have been big enough for someone here to have come across an article somewhere.  That being said, I've got to assume she just got moved from A&M to a different subsidary of Interscope that is willing to put more faith and promotional focus on her music.

I know this is impossible because of their contracts with their current labels, but I'd love to see Stephan and Vanessa create their own label so that Vanessa and TEB would have absolute creative freedom and wouldn't have to worry about record execs mismanaging them or forcing them to do stuff they  don't want to.

shinessobright

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - shinessobright
    • AOL Instant Messenger - privateradiogirl
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - canyouseemyfirerain
    • View Profile
It All Comes Down To This
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 02:17:18 pm »
I am hoping that she had the smarts to move up from A&M records. I know she can rise to the top if she has a label that believes in her talents. A&M isn't really concerned about musicans rising up and improving themselves. Their main concern is the money. I'm sorry that MTV makes all the record companies greedy for more money, but it shouldn't be about how many records you can sell, its should be all about the way your music impacts lives.

I don't know if I ever heard of an artist who has so many loving supportive fans like Vanessa does. She deserves all the fame and glory that should be coming to her, but we all know that she will be satisfied just by touching one of our lives....
And all the constellations shine down on you and me... and if you don't believe me, just put your hands on me...

"This is a song about relationships that are condemned either by your family, or by the government..." Vanessa Carlton about Who's to Say

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Interscope/A&M
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 08:00:37 pm »
Well, I just looked on the A&M website and it says she is still on A&M, but she is not on Interscope...are they the same thing?

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 09:26:12 am »
Yeah... I think there are elements for V coming back... I hope this new album's huge and V has been around in the media more (cribs, extreme home edition) so I think she's got a great shot if her album is promoted her music will do the rest :)
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 03:09:47 pm »
I think Vanessa will become a cult artist, one of those people that may not be at the top of the charts but still are good enough to have a strong fan base that supports them, and I think that kind of musicians are much more respectable than most of the very commercially successful ones.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 03:26:21 pm »
If she's promoted well, she'll sell well.

jsbachsonata

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - jsbach_sonata@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jsbachsonata
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2006, 02:32:09 am »
wishful thinking... Seriously vanessa carlton's songs are becoming too bland. From a musical perspective that is what i think. I've heard her new songs and they sound very much like love pop songs -- not interesting at all. What people look for in pop is #1) catchy hook and #2) a great production.

You have no idea how easy it is to tell between an indie label record and a major label one due to the production. Production IS the whole basis of what makes pop music appealing... and I hope that Nessa can seriously consider that aspect in her songs---> ATM was well produced AND catchy ...White houses was well produced but a bit more bland.

If vanessa is to come back in any way, she's got to learn to write better "musically". A Fine pop song is extremely hard to write even though it can be simple. People assume that since vanessa is a classical pianist she's well trained in the "music" area. Actually, pop and art music are two different things and serve two different functions...If vanessa wants to come back, she's gotta seriously consider how she's going to put herself out the world and really improve on her songwriting skills.

I'm not going to comment on the lyrics, because I'm only a musician. I'm not trying to put Vanessa down in any way, but it is just my opinion.

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 02:01:06 pm »
^^^ well we haven't even heard the final productions of her new stuff. and I heard a snippet of the "this time" production and it sounded fantastic to me. These songs ARE catchy. I've played PYHOM for some friends who aren't really fans at all, and they love the song, even when it's just piano. So I don't really get your point.  There are so many songs that are huge successes without very much production at all.  John Legend's "ordinary people"... isn't it just him and his piano? and John Mayer's "daughters" is mostly just guitar, if I remember correctly. I don't understand what's so bland about v's songs, they seem catchy and poignant, simple, and profound. I'm thinking a lot of success will come of this next album.

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2006, 07:30:18 pm »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
^^^ well we haven't even heard the final productions of her new stuff. and I heard a snippet of the "this time" production and it sounded fantastic to me. These songs ARE catchy. I've played PYHOM for some friends who aren't really fans at all, and they love the song, even when it's just piano. So I don't really get your point.  There are so many songs that are huge successes without very much production at all.  John Legend's "ordinary people"... isn't it just him and his piano? and John Mayer's "daughters" is mostly just guitar, if I remember correctly. I don't understand what's so bland about v's songs, they seem catchy and poignant, simple, and profound. I'm thinking a lot of success will come of this next album.

:D  :D  :D  My thoughts exactly  :D  :D  :D

V is a smart musician she told us that people would know her next album and I think she meant it.... the new songs are killer and really catchy and who knows what else she has in store for us 8)
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2006, 02:30:33 pm »
I heard a snippet of the "this time" production and it sounded fantastic to me.

The yelps of a burning puppy are more pleasing to the ear than the version of "This Time" that you're referring to.  Linda Perry ruined that song and I'm guessing there are some other songs on the upcoming album that will suck because of her.

Harmonium was fantastic, and if that style of music doesn't sell well then so be it.  I'd rather Vanessa make good music and have a modest fan base than make mind numbingly bad, bland, watered-down, radio bubble-gum, teeny-bopper crap like Perry makes her music sound and be super-duper popular.

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2006, 06:11:24 pm »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"
I heard a snippet of the "this time" production and it sounded fantastic to me.

The yelps of a burning puppy are more pleasing to the ear than the version of "This Time" that you're referring to.

haha! damn. well it is what it is, and I can appreciate a shift in style. No matter how v's music is produced, I'll always know that it's fantastic writing.  Honestly, production is only half of it... at least for me, obviously not for you.

samil87

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2006, 03:35:39 pm »
I think she'll stay as is. Even though she has continued to make songs to her established high standard, she's not in the right type of music to be as popular as she was, currently all that seems to be popular is mediocre  samey Indie, R&B, rap, Krunk (whatever the hell that is) and pretty much any 'artist' who's willing to strip down to their underwear, dispense with artistic integrity/individuality, dance suggestively and only sing songs with blunt sexual overtones. Unfortunately talented people like Vanessa just aren't being given the chance, but I'd rather her stay on track and continue to produce good songs rather than to be extremely popular at the expense of quality.  I think Aimee Mann is similarly less successful than she should be, but is still going strong in terms of her musical output (if anyone hasn't listened to her I seriously reccommend doing so).
 Still, the music scene can, and hopefully will, change really quickly so who knows. Fingers crossed for the third album, and even if nobody else is listening to her I always will :D

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2006, 07:12:46 pm »
I've always believed in VC's musical artistic talent.  There is just something there we all know exists in a big way.  Her selling records depends on alot of things other than that.  Alot of talented people fall by the wayside because of other reasons.  Do I  think she will make it?  Yes I do.  I don't know anything, but I would be 'guessing' that she has made an impression on alot of people, made important connections in the industry, for instance, Stephen Jenkins and Stevie Nicks.  At least I hope so.  I think vanessa will be back.