Author Topic: Will Vanessa make a comeback or remain as is?  (Read 16389 times)

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Will Vanessa make a comeback or remain as is?
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2006, 08:26:20 pm »
what are all of you guys talking about? this mumbo jumbo about how success only comes nowadays from scantily clad hoes just isn't making sense. Yes, some of the musically inept, yet painfully big-breasted artists are experiencing large volumes of sales.  But honestly, John Mayer's new album Continuum is number one on iTunes.  The Fray's "how to save a life" is the number 1 song, followed by Snow Patrol's "chasing cars." The theory of vanessa's music just not being "in style" is off. She's not famous at the moment because she had a sophomore slump... for whatever the reason--- bad promotion probably the biggest of them. You can't say for sure, but it seems pretty clear that she's coming back strong, and you can't give up on her and say that her music just isn't what people want. It's definitely what people want, but just haven't had a chance to hear.

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2006, 05:44:32 am »
Who is the most successful credible female artist out right now...& how how do her numbers compare to those guys?  Just wondering.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

jsbachsonata

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - jsbach_sonata@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jsbachsonata
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2006, 05:22:45 am »
it's all about luck... if she get's lucky i see no reason why nessa can't make a comeback. Sadly, I know that she won't get anywhere with her mere abilities alone...Even though i'm a fan, I know there are thousands more talented artists out there.

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2006, 08:22:02 am »
I'm sick of all this "comeback" talk.  Comeback from what?  Harmonium was fantastic, we can all agree on that.  So is popularity all we're talking about here?

Some of you are complaining about what's "popular" right now...do we really want Vanessa to be clumped with all that?

Furthermore, if Vanessa does become highly lucrative again, there is going to be tons of pressure on her to conform to whatever sound is the flavor of the month and to promote to whoever is causing the spike in her sales (likely to be teeny-boppers) and I don't think any of us want that.  And, in order for Vanessa to get this popular, it takes more than better promotion for a label (especially for a female artist).  If she's to hit it super-big, she's going to have to whore herself to the business and I don't see her doing that either.

I'm with some of the other people who have posted in this thread basically saying that Vanessa is an artist, not a product.  I'm sure she's more than willing to sacrifice some money and prestige to maintain her artistic integrity.

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2006, 05:35:49 pm »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"
I'm sick of all this "comeback" talk.  Comeback from what?  Harmonium was fantastic, we can all agree on that.  So is popularity all we're talking about here?

Some of you are complaining about what's "popular" right now...do we really want Vanessa to be clumped with all that?

Furthermore, if Vanessa does become highly lucrative again, there is going to be tons of pressure on her to conform to whatever sound is the flavor of the month and to promote to whoever is causing the spike in her sales (likely to be teeny-boppers) and I don't think any of us want that.  And, in order for Vanessa to get this popular, it takes more than better promotion for a label (especially for a female artist).  If she's to hit it super-big, she's going to have to whore herself to the business and I don't see her doing that either.

I'm with some of the other people who have posted in this thread basically saying that Vanessa is an artist, not a product.  I'm sure she's more than willing to sacrifice some money and prestige to maintain her artistic integrity.

You make some good points and I agree with you on most of them. I just want V (hahah...see other topic) to get more recognition for her music... I still think that an artist can maintain their integrity while topping the charts. I don't want Nessa to whore her self to the music industry... maybe just win a grammy :roll:
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2006, 07:59:08 pm »
Quote from: "PutYourHandsOnMe101"
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"

You make some good points and I agree with you on most of them. I just want V (hahah...see other topic) to get more recognition for her music... I still think that an artist can maintain their integrity while topping the charts. I don't want Nessa to whore her self to the music industry... maybe just win a grammy :roll:

I agree.  You can be credible AND successful.  It is just kinda rare right now.

Personally I think Vanessa's fan base has already been reached.  She had a HUGE #1 single that EVERYBODY has heard.  The only way it's going to get bigger is for her to completely change & "sell out" in order to appeal to a wider audience.  And we've already heard a lot of the new songs - she definitely hasn't changed her style.

I dunno.  It's so hard for me to express my opinions via message board.  lol
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2006, 12:08:56 am »
I think that a lot of people liked ATM and perhaps didn't have a clue that she even made a second album. I wouldn't have known about White Houses if I had not already been a fan searching the internet for news about Vanessa. (Wasn't released here). So maybe those one-time ATM fans might become real fans if they heard new stuff, or she might reach new fans who might not have even liked ATM. That will only be if they hear about it though!

In a perfect world, Harmonium would have been "popular", and won awards and all that. The most important thing for us though, is that it was brilliant musically. The most important thing for a record company is that a product (ie CD) sells... which depends a lot on promotion. SO, they really dug their own grave. I can understand if she wants her music to be "popular", and I think it should be. Changing to suit the trends is not worth it though, in my opinion. I guess we will find out if she has next "Spring".
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2006, 01:45:15 am »
Quote from: "MeganJane"
I think that a lot of people liked ATM and perhaps didn't have a clue that she even made a second album.

Sadly, it's not perhaps but it's sure that no one knows here (in Europe) that she actually released a second album.
If it wasn't for me, no one at work had any idea she was still making music.  :evil:
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2006, 03:50:57 am »
Like I said,
I wouldn't have known about White Houses if I had not already been a fan searching the internet for news about Vanessa. (Wasn't released here)
-CONFUCIUS

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2006, 03:41:22 pm »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
Who is the most successful credible female artist out right now...& how how do her numbers compare to those guys?  Just wondering.

good point. but really, I think good music sells. I think Corrine-Bailey ray's doin okay, and Amy Lee, and Ana Nalick... but I see your point.

jsbachsonata

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - jsbach_sonata@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jsbachsonata
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2006, 03:20:22 am »
actually, you'll be surprised to know the top ten earnings from celebrities comes from alicia keys and Norah Jones according to a time article i read last year. They truly have their unique style and great song writing ability and they deserve that fame. They definitely do not "whore" themselves to the world. It's surprising to know that only these two artists are on the same list with oprah... not christina aguilera or britney. search up top 10 celebrities or something on time's website and you should find the article.

we always have a misconception that pop= selling out= bad= sex appeal.
To some degree, this is true, but pop/ mainstream also encompasses a thousand variety of styles.. it's not just a homogenous mixture of beyonce, britney, and christina aguilera. Being popular means selling music and doesn't alwys mean that one is trading artistic integrity for money.. some people choose to be the way they want to be.

Alicia and Norah deserve their fame, because they were lucky in the first place and also (i'm not afraid to say this) because they are more talented, educated, and innovative songwriters than vanessa carlton.

Nessa needs to develop her own unique sense of songwriting within a pop context... You can't argue that it's impossible in pop... just look at tori amos.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2006, 05:25:49 am »
Alicia and Norah deserve their fame, because they were lucky in the first place and also (i'm not afraid to say this) because they are more talented, educated, and innovative songwriters than vanessa carlton.

Nessa needs to develop her own unique sense of songwriting within a pop context... You can't argue that it's impossible in pop... just look at tori amos.

That is a matter of opinion. I think that Vanessa is extremely talented, innovative (who else sings about Vampire and Unicorn wars? Lol) and as far as being educated, she has learnt music since she was two! I'm not trying to argue that Alicia and Norah are not talented (they are), but I really don't like and don't connect with their music. In your posts you have a lot to say about what you think is "not good" about Vanessa, so I have to ask:
Why are you here?

I repect that you have your own opinion, and whilst I disagree with it, I am not here to argue. I am just confused as to why you are on the Nessaholics board if you don't even have anything good to say about this artist?
-CONFUCIUS

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2006, 09:02:12 am »
Nora & Alicia bore the hell outta me.  Sure, they're talented.  But I don't care.  

I definitely think Vanessa is innovative!  She has a style all her own.  There's my 2 cents.  

(Why am I always sticking up for Vanessa Carlton on a Vanessa Carlton forum?!?!)
The fantasy

samil87

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2006, 09:34:05 am »
I didn't say it was the only way for a female artist to succeed but looking at singers like Nelly Furtado, Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Christina Milian and countless others, I don't think it can be denied that in lieu of talent many 'muscians' rather succesfully use sexuality to get ahead. Amy Lee is obviously an exception to this, but I think even she was made to compromise during Fallen's production, which may be why Evanescence achieved such phenomenal success, don't get me wrong I am a huge Evanescence fan and think they deserve to do extremely well (due to the sheer amount of talent the band and especially Lee have) but I don't think they are necessarily so mainstream.

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2006, 10:06:17 am »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
Nora & Alicia bore the hell outta me.  Sure, they're talented.  But I don't care.  

I definitely think Vanessa is innovative!  She has a style all her own.  There's my 2 cents.  

(Why am I always sticking up for Vanessa Carlton on a Vanessa Carlton forum?!?!)

hahaha...I agree.....

also I actually like Christina Aguilera because although she does have a very sexual image she still has an amazing vocal talent unlike very many musical artists on todays charts 8)
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me