Author Topic: Your Top 10 Best and Worst Films of 2005  (Read 8670 times)

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Your Top 10 Best and Worst Films of 2005
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 05:43:51 am »
updated my list above

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 06:31:45 am »
m...

I dont know.. I like most of the movies I have seen  8)

notagirl

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
worst and best.
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 11:43:44 am »
I only saw two movies last year. One with my nephew fantastic four the other was Serenity. One was okay the other was shiny.
Brunettes Rule!   MMV
CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL!
Cards4Life

BWilli

• View Profile
Re: Your Top 10 Best and Worst Films of 2005
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 08:12:52 am »
updated:

Best:
1. Crash 10/10
2. Sin City - 10/10
3. King Kong - 10/10
4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 10/10
5. The 40 Year Old Virgin - 9/10
6. Saw II - 9/10
7. Elizabethtown - 9/10
8. Gong Fu (Kung Fu Hustle)- 9/10
9. Batman Begins - 9/10
10. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith 9/10

Worst:
1. Boogyman - 2/10
2. Cursed - 3/10
4. Hide and Seek - 5/10
5. xXx: State of the Union - 5/10
6. White Noise - 5/10
7.  Bewitched - 5/10
8.  The Ring Two - 6/10
9.  Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo - 6/10
10.  Be Cool - 6/10

other movies I've seen this year:
Kingdom of Heaven - 9/10, High Tension - 9/10, Layer Cake - 9/10, Mr. and Mrs. Smith - 9/10, Constantine - 9/10, Red Eye - 9/10, The Amittyville Horror - 9/10, Assault on Precinct 13 - 9/10, Mindhunters - 9/10, In Good Company - 8/10, Hitch - 8/10, The Island - 8/10, Skeleton Key - 8/10, Corpse Bride - 8/10, Chicken Little - 8/10, The Jacket - 8/10, Derailed - 7/10, Elektra - 7/10, Flightplan - 7/10, The Brothers Grimm - 7/10

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 05:34:53 pm »
hasn't anyone seen Good Night, Good Luck or Capote or The Squid and the Whale?

Best of 2005

1)  Good Night, Good Luck
2)  Crash
3)  Capote
4)  The Squid and the Whale
5)  Sin City

honorable mention = Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic

Worst of 2005

I don't committ the worst movies I see to memory, but these were the most disappointing  (there is a difference!  :) )

King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Grimm Brothers, Be Cool, Land of the Dead

BWilli

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 05:43:33 am »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"

missed all three, but I really want to see them.

Worst of 2005

I don't committ the worst movies I see to memory, but these were the most disappointing (there is a difference!  :) )

the worsts disappointing and King Kong do not even belong in the same sentence...and I heard "Memoirs..." is fantastic and can't wait to see that one too.

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 09:20:10 am »
Quote from: "BWilli"

missed all three, but I really want to see them.

Worst of 2005

I don't committ the worst movies I see to memory, but these were the most disappointing (there is a difference!  :) )

the worsts disappointing and King Kong do not even belong in the same sentence...and I heard "Memoirs..." is fantastic and can't wait to see that one too.

Memoirs... could have been really good if it would have stayed more true to its Japanese roots.  The film got 'Americanized' or got the 'Hollywood Treatment' or however you want to put it.  It was very over-romanticized and it didn't need to be.  It became a parody of itself at times.

As far as King Kong goes, Peter Jackson made a mockery out of the relationship between Kong and Watts's character.  She's not supposed to get along with the ape and love the ape.  She's supposed to fear the ape and her compassion for the beast is supposed to slowly grow during the film (albeit very, very subtlely) until the climax on the Empire State building.  That ultimate revelation is what the whole story is based on.  Jackson has Watts and Kong getting all chummy right away.  It ruins the impact of the ending.  When Watts juggles for Kong and he starts to laugh, my eyes almost popped out of my head.  I think that was one of the corniest, story shattering things I've ever seen on film.  From that point on, I couldn't take anything seriously.  I just waited for another creature battle/chase, which was the only good thing about the movie.

Well, there was one other cool thing.  At the beginning when Jack Black is naming the different actresses he could get to take the place of the one who drops out and he says, "what about Fay?"  and his guy tells him, "no, I think she's doing something for RKO right now."  Fay of course referring to Fay Ray, the woman who had Watts's role in the original, and RKO being the studio where the original King Kong was made.  I thought that was a pretty good inside joke.

BWilli

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 10:24:08 am »
As far as King Kong goes, Peter Jackson made a mockery out of the relationship between Kong and Watts's character.  She's not supposed to get along with the ape and love the ape.  She's supposed to fear the ape and her compassion for the beast is supposed to slowly grow during the film (albeit very, very subtlely) until the climax on the Empire State building.  That ultimate revelation is what the whole story is based on.  Jackson has Watts and Kong getting all chummy right away.  It ruins the impact of the ending.  When Watts juggles for Kong and he starts to laugh, my eyes almost popped out of my head.  I think that was one of the corniest, story shattering things I've ever seen on film.  From that point on, I couldn't take anything seriously.  I just waited for another creature battle/chase, which was the only good thing about the movie.

i respect your opinion, but i disagree 100%...the juggling act at the beginning was great, it showed the the character had strength, and wasn't just some scaredy cat...i love it.  and although it was near the end, the scene on ice....SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!   PJ is one hell of a film maker.

Re: Your Top 10 Best and Worst Films of 2005
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 10:50:39 am »
updated:

The Island - 8/10

Unless that rating stands for 8 rotten eggs out of ten, I'd like to know how you objectively came to the conclusion that The Island was anything but awful.  Even the people involved with that film were disgusted by the results.

And, on a sidenote, did you notice how much shit they did to Scarlett Johansson in that movie.  I know I'm not the only one who thinks she's really hot, so why the heck did they dye her hair, give her contact lenses to change the color of her eyes, give her lifts to wear to make her seem taller, and airbrush her to make her look more thin.  If that's what happens to the pretty girls in these big budget movies, I wonder what the hell they do to the ugly ones! :D

BWilli

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 11:25:29 am »
feel free to read my film review of The Island here

Its a straight up popcorn action flick...thats what makes a summer blockbuster.

And, on a sidenote, did you notice how much shit they did to Scarlett Johansson in that movie.  I know I'm not the only one who thinks she's really hot, so why the heck did they dye her hair, give her contact lenses to change the color of her eyes, give her lifts to wear to make her seem taller, and airbrush her to make her look more thin.  If that's what happens to the pretty girls in these big budget movies, I wonder what the hell they do to the ugly ones! :D

thats Hollywood for ya!

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 01:16:52 pm »
feel free to read my film review of The Island here

Its a straight up popcorn action flick...thats what makes a summer blockbuster.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one too. :lol:

I thought the screenplay was meandering and the action was lacking (as far as these types of flicks go).  And the normally uber-talented McGregor and Johansson seemed to be just going through the motions as if they only agreed to be in this movie to pick up a big paycheck so they could both go off and make some higher quality, but less profitable independent movies for low salaries.  I know talented actors like them use this economically and artistically profitable strategy all the time, and I found this to be a cut and dry case of that.  I've read a couple of articles about this movie and I guess it was pretty apparent to everyone on the set that, about halfway through filming, something wasn't right.

But Buscemi was the shit, like always!  :D

BWilli

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 06:29:34 pm »
But Buscemi was the shit, like always!  :D

Woooooooooooooooooord   :mrgreen:

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight