Author Topic: Unreleased Vanessa tracks  (Read 2153 times)

Unreleased Vanessa tracks
« on: January 06, 2006, 05:06:39 pm »
Some of my favorite Vanessa songs haven't made her albums.  "All I Ask," "Little Mary," "Burden," and "Wonder" are all among my favorite 5 or 6 Vanessa songs; however, other than "All I Ask" (because of the Rinse version) none of these songs are available with very good fidelity, or at least I haven't come across a quality version of them.  And I don't think I like those songs so passionately because I don't get to hear them as often; I genuinely love the music and lyrics to those particular songs.  After discovering those unreleased Vanessa tracks, she went from being one of my favorite modern artists to being the top dog.

Does anyone else like these unreleased tracks as much as me, or am I just a little nuts?!!

:lol:

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 06:45:07 am »
"All I Ask" is certainly one of my two favorite Vanessa Songs ever.  And I love many of her demo tape tracks as well.  Supposedly, there are at least two, maybe three other demo tapes that even us fans have never heard!  It seems to me that a lot of her best stuff is staying off the record store shelves.  Why is that?
Dustin

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 09:52:56 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
Supposedly, there are at least two, maybe three other demo tapes that even us fans have never heard!  It seems to me that a lot of her best stuff is staying off the record store shelves.  Why is that?

I'd give up my ears to hear those other demo tapes if they exist [wait a minute...okay, anything but my ears, I would need those]. :lol:

I've read about instances where other artists have recordings that never get leaked out just like this.  Usually the case is that they are songs the artist wrote when they were quite young or not as musically mature as they are now, and they are kind of embarassed by them.  I know that sounds kind of stupid, because fans would kill to hear anything by their favorite artists, and, in my opinion, it would be interesting as hell to hear what someone like Vanessa sounded like when she was in her early stages of development as a songwriter; however, musicians are often perfectionists and allowing the public to hear what they consider trash is hard for them to do.  All of this may be way off, but that's my guess.

As far as the unreleased songs we have heard, I'd like to think that it has always been Vanessa's decision on which tracks get on her albums, and in her case that might be the way it is, considering the songs on her album are so great too.  But, I've noticed that some of the unreleased songs have slightly more edgy lyrics and themes.  Maybe her label suggested she try to leave those off of the album so Soccer Mom's don't get pissed and not buy the CDs for their kids?  Little Mary is similar, but decidedly more detailed and to-the-point than Paradise.  And, Birdie, Wonder, and Swinger are pretty mature/dark.  

Then again, Wreckage made it onto Harmonium, so what the hell do I know?!! :lol:

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Demo
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:10:32 pm »
"Faces" has to be one of my favorites from the Demo Tape, also "Little Mary", just felt like sharing!

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...