Author Topic: I got into Law School  (Read 16309 times)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 07:31:15 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"
The distinction between value and importance?   Oh um let me look up "value" in the dictionary....

1.   relative worth, merit, or importance

Let's check with a real dictionary, the OED.

value, n. I. 1. a. That amount of some commodity, medium of exchange, etc., which is considered to be an equivalent for something else; a fair or adequate equivalent or return. Phr. value for money (freq. attrib.).
value, v. I. 1. trans. To estimate or appraise as being worth a specified sum or amount. Const. at, to, or with inf.

In any case, when talking economics, the above definition is the only one used.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2006, 07:42:30 am »
Quote from: "Will"

The distinction between value and importance? Oh um let me look up "value" in the dictionary....

1. relative worth, merit, or importance

Let's check with a real dictionary, the OED.

value, v. I. 1. trans. To estimate or appraise as being worth a specified sum or amount. Const. at, to, or with inf.

In any case, when talking economics, the above definition is the only one used.

Lets check with the statement i was referring too "Salary isn't a direct measure of your value to society or anything"

And now with importance "Salary isn't a direct measure of your importance to society or anything"

Pretty much proves that what you were trying to derail my statement with is incorrect. I'm not so sure he meant "Salary isn't a direct measure of your monetary value to society or anything" because that would be a completely redundant and pointless statement.

You pulled the word out of the context of the argument to attempt and debunk me! GG

Sorry, I meant to reply and I hit edit instead. I think I got your original post back. Sorry for me being stupid. :-p - Will
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2006, 07:52:17 am »
I'm quite sure the good 'ol OED would have defined "Value" as more than what you said. In fact, let me take a look for myself. Straight out of the compact OED online. And it's the word 'value' alone. Not any of the prefixed variations I'm sure you found.

• noun 1 the regard that something is held to deserve; importance or worth. 2 material or monetary worth. 3 (values) principles or standards of behaviour. 4 the numerical amount denoted by an algebraic term; a magnitude, quantity, or number. 5 Music the relative duration of the sound signified by a note.

• verb (values, valued, valuing) 1 estimate the value of. 2 consider to be important or beneficial.

— DERIVATIVES valueless adjective valuer noun.

— ORIGIN Old French, from Latin valere.

And I understand what you are saying about the economic definition, but Grak didn't make that especially clear. Like I said, he called them unvaluable and useless!

Harmonius

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - Harmonium@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.seattlecommunity.tz4.com
    • Email
I got into Law School
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2006, 07:55:51 am »
What has become of my thread?

:cry:

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 08:01:11 am »
I know, I'm sorry, but I had to defend myself and my major!!

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 08:02:13 am »
Lets check with the statement i was referring too "Salary isn't a direct measure of your value to society or anything"

And now with importance "Salary isn't a direct measure of your importance to society or anything"

Pretty much proves that what you were trying to derail my statement with is incorrect.   I'm not so sure he meant "Salary isn't a direct measure of your monetary value to society or anything"  because that would be a completely redundant and pointless statement.

It doesn't matter. Salary, by definition, is the value society ("the market") gives to a person. If you're talking economics (salary was the topic of discussion), it isn't unreasonable to assume that you're using economic terms.

Edit:  "To estimate or appraise as being worth a specified sum or amount."  That sum or amount being determined by what Will?

The job market is what dictates that.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 08:05:15 am »
You know what? All I want is Grakthis to come back and just apologize for calling certain jobs or majors in college useless. And actually it doesn't even matter if he apologizes, it just frustrates me that he would say something like that, as if he's better than somebody else.  :evil:

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 08:11:33 am »
Quote from: "Will"

Pretty much proves that what you were trying to derail my statement with is incorrect.   I'm not so sure he meant "Salary isn't a direct measure of your monetary value to society or anything"  because that would be a completely redundant and pointless statement.

It doesn't matter. Salary, by definition, is the value society ("the market") gives to a person. If you're talking economics (salary was the topic of discussion), it isn't unreasonable to assume that you're using economic terms.

Edit:  "To estimate or appraise as being worth a specified sum or amount."  That sum or amount being determined by what Will?

The job market is what dictates that.

Well i interpreted his use of the word value as importance.  So it does matter.  Value can be used in such a way and if Andrew meant value in a monetary sense im not even sure his statement makes sense.   Excuse me while i find a dead horse.
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2006, 08:26:58 am »
Well to be honest im not sure Andrew's statement was meant as a 100% scenario regarding those majors being useless.   I know some very well paid IT directors who never even went to college.  Im not sure but he may have been stressing that people who typically just get those degrees are those incapable of or too lazy to endure a more difficult major.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2006, 09:01:07 am »
They are not necessarily easy majors. It depends on what school you go to. At my school, for example, the hardest major is Biology. I'm sure I would not do so well in upper level Math and Chemistry either, but most of the other majors available after that: including (among others) English, Philosophy, Psychology, Education, Art, Art History, Theater, History, Music, Sociology, and Anthropology are all pretty much equally difficult in my opinion. I majored in English because I have always loved it, it is what I am best at, not because I'm lazy or incapable of anything else. I have also taken a number of upper level philosophy and psychology courses just because it interests me. Just because someone may not excel in math and science does not mean they are not as smart as somebody who does. My best friend from school is a biochem major and she is good at that, but she never looked down on me or my other friends who are English majors as slackers. The amount of reading and writing she saw us having to do alone gave her respect for our major.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
I got into Law School
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2006, 02:53:26 am »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
Oh, then I guess anyone in an underpaid job isn't really valuable to society. I guess teachers are useless, huh?

Teachers aren't USELESS, teachers are easily replaced :teach:

It's a job that lots of people can do and would do.  Therefore, it has a low value.  Which is exactly what I said.

Quote from: "Noelle"
And my point was that I didn't learn anything in my gen ed Chemistry class that I didn't already know... And I'm also not trying to say that the classes are altogether pointless with no benefit, just that I don't think in a lot of cases  they are worth the thousands of dollars in tuition they each cost.

Good for you.  That's because you are a smart person.  Most people get more out of those classes.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2006, 02:55:27 am »
Will, you are right, but that isn't the way Grakthis presented his argument

You know, that old legend about teachers not getting paid enough is bogus in most counties now.  Starting teacher salaries are like 40G at public schools in most cities.

It's private school teachers who don't make shit.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2006, 02:57:46 am »
You know what? All I want is Grakthis to come back and just apologize for calling certain jobs or majors in college useless. And actually it doesn't even matter if he apologizes, it just frustrates me that he would say something like that, as if he's better than somebody else.  :evil:

1) I am sorry.  English majors are not useless.  I minored in English and would have majored had I been in school longer.  I love studying literature and there are some jobs to which it is advantagous.  In fact, when I made that post I didn't realize you were an Eng major cause I missed that in your previous post.  It was intended to be hyperbole... English majors are low income degrees, but not completely useless.

2) I am better than you.  You have to learn in life that some people really ARE better than other people.  It's why Bill Gates has billions and I don't.

---Andrew

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2006, 05:50:19 am »
8O That last comment was a little bit uncalled for. What makes you better than me? How would you know?((I don't think money makes someone better than another)))

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
I got into Law School
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2006, 05:56:47 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

2) I am better than you.

No, she is much better than you.