Author Topic: 8/15 Vanessa post  (Read 2911 times)

8/15 Vanessa post
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:17:24 pm »
Vanessa sounds very...settled.  Usually when artists get to this mental/emotional point in their lives, their songwriting becomes more open and all-encompassing.  Vanessa has always had pretty good range with her songwriting, but I'm looking forward to hearing songs reflecting a broadening horizon of topics.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the love songs and diary confessional style of songwriting that made up the majority of the first two albums, but she seems like that part of her life is pretty stable now and she's ready to be inspired by new things.  I hope this ends up being the case.  I think she's talented enough to take her music to the next level, and I don't think she's the type that would give a damn if she has to sacrifice the younger demographic in order to mature as an artist. :)

...I just hope she doesn't evolve in a direction that falls out of my taste! :lol:

Dora

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.org
8/15 Vanessa post
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 02:28:44 pm »
I think when you know an artist well and have grown to get to know theyre personality through their music you learn how to grow with them.  For example I have been a John Mayer fan for 4 years and his music is always changing, and I know him musically so well that I love anything he makes and I will always.  I think it just depends how comfortable you are with an artist, in a way.

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
8/15 Vanessa post
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:05:52 pm »
I know what you're saying, Dora, & I agree.   :wink:
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

8/15 Vanessa post
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 08:15:08 am »
I understand what you both are saying, but there are radical instances where an artist has changed in a way that left them so completely out of my general taste in music that there was no way I could keep liking them.

One example would be Gwen Stefani.  I really love No Doubt, but I liked their albums less and less as new ones came along until Gwen went solo and I absolutely despise that album.  I know that situation is a little different because it is a band and then just Gwen, but I went from being a big Gwen fan to being like, uhhhh, you ever going to make good music again?

Anyways, my point about Vanessa's post is that she sounds like she's ready to make a considerable jump as a songwriter, which is always a good thing.  I wasn't really talking about her sound.  I'm still not sure exactly what direction she's leaning in when it comes to that.

Dora

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.org
8/15 Vanessa post
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 08:37:50 am »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"

One example would be Gwen Stefani.  I really love No Doubt, but I liked their albums less and less as new ones came along until Gwen went solo and I absolutely despise that album.  I know that situation is a little different because it is a band and then just Gwen, but I went from being a big Gwen fan to being like, uhhhh, you ever going to make good music again?

see again even if the album is totally different, I still see Gwen in it, cause I have been a fan of her and ND for 11 years *cough*.  Haha. But yeah  I understand your pov.

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
8/15 Vanessa post
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 05:22:29 am »
I would like her to do things a little bit different this time, I mean I love both of her albums but it would be boring if the new one sounds too much like them.

8/15 Vanessa post
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 09:05:28 am »
Quote from: "ManuelD"
I would like her to do things a little bit different this time, I mean I love both of her albums but it would be boring if the new one sounds too much like them.

Yeah, I definately don't have a problem with her changing her sound and doing things different.  That would be just fine.  All I was doing is jokingly saying that, if there is any kind of significant change in sound, I hope it still ends up being something I like.

And, kind of going back to what Dora said, because I love Vanessa so much, she could evolve her sound in a way that I wouldn't be entirely thrilled with, but I'd still be okay because it's Vanessa and I already have a love for her subtle styles that will never go away no matter what her sound is.  At the same time, it is possible that she could change in such a radical way that she begins making the kind of music that I hate so much it supersedes the fact that it is her...but I really don't see that happening. :)