Author Topic: Getting out there -- tips for musicians  (Read 3641 times)

TheDarkCarnival

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thebrittisharesoddinghere
Getting out there -- tips for musicians
« on: September 14, 2006, 09:02:07 pm »
I suppose I call myself a musician. I write music and perform. Does anyone have any tips for getting your stuff oput there to possibly get picked up by a label, or even anything? For refence sake.

Gordo
Never thought it'd hurt so bad
Bring me a remedy
Never thought it'd feel so right
Bringing you to your knees...

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:25:47 am »
It's often about who you know. So meet lots of people!
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:49:48 am »
that's what I thought, and then I became friends with the guy who could get me ten feet in the door... but he has no interest whatsoever. hasn't even bothered to listen! it's all about image these days... sad. or maybe he can read into things well? ahhh, it's just been bugging me.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 05:42:24 am »
I suppose I call myself a musician.

Well maybe try again when you actually consider YOURSELF a musician. If you show him you are serious about music, then maybe he will listen. If YOU don't consider yourself to be a musician, why should this guy take you seriously?
-CONFUCIUS

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 05:27:43 pm »
who said I didn't consider myself a musician? I definitely do, although part of the problem could be that I become pretty insecure about all my music within a week or so after I'm done writing a song. And that might be why I keep chugging out more expressions, I think true musicianship is when you can relate something above and beyond everyday life and everyday comprehension.  Music should access those feelings that you may never known you had... and I'm officially rambling now. I definitely consider myself a musician, but at the same time I don't trust some of my songs. It's a little perfectionistic I suppose, but a musician should never be lazy with a few notes or a rhyme or a beginning or an ending.  I used to be lazy, now I've noticed I'm not at all. so maybe I AM ready now! haha, maybe I didn't consider myself a musician before... and maybe you're right! wow.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:17:03 pm »
Oh I'm sorry, I got mixed up... I didn't realize it was a DIFFERENT person who started the thread... I read it as if it were the SAME person...my bad... well I guess only a bit of what I said applies then.... confusing.... Sorry!
-CONFUCIUS

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 02:59:49 am »
haha no worries! Your mistake kinda applied in a wierd way and made me think...  :idea:

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 04:43:24 pm »
Write some songs.  Then write some more songs.  Get a band together, play anywhere and everywhere.  Develop your live act.  Record a CD to sell at shows.  Always have a blank piece of paper for people to write down names, emails, etc.(mailing list).

This is a way to stay competitive in a corrupt, cutthroat biz that eats albums like Harmonium for breakfast.  There are millions out there looking for a break, so keep at it....who knows what could happen?

Dan/NS

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 05:08:31 pm »
^True.

Well I've always wanted to be a singer/songwriter/musician, and everyone I knew thought this was some silly phase I would grow out of. No-one would take me seriously. Then for some reason my mum wanted me to sing at church. I didn't want to, and almost didn't go, but I did it anyway. Afterwards, someone came up to me, and told me she wanted to help me record a demo. She was just visiting this church because a friend invited her. Turns out she had worked in the music industry before having kids and now she wanted to get back into it. So she's now my manager and although things take time (that happened back in 2003), a big record company has requested my demo, so I'm making it soon. I don't know how things will turn out, but my point is that if it is meant to happen, opportunities will arise. You just have to make sure you use them. Good things do happen.
-CONFUCIUS

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 08:41:19 pm »
Yup!  There are two kinds of success---artistic and commercial.  Don't listen to anyone who tells you "no".  Go do it.  Music is a gift.  Enjoy it all you can.

Don't feel like you must be "signed" in order to make a living in music.
That's a myth.  My musical colleagues are touring musicians, traveling to Europe and Asia, as well as composers who have made great money by composing music for TV shows.  Very cool. When they're home, they do studio work.  But you have to wait for the phone to ring.  I'm not prepared to do that, nor am I a first-call, world class musician....so it's a day job for me! :lol:

It's all about getting out there.  It's knowing your instrument.  It's knowing the studio.  It's knowing how to play live well and getting people into your music. It's dealing with difficult club owners and having people skills.

Dan/NS