Author Topic: 12/31/2006: Fiesta Bowl Block Party - Tempe, AZ  (Read 17324 times)

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
12/31/2006: Fiesta Bowl Block Party - Tempe, AZ
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 11:18:47 pm »
I've been wanting to take the train somewhere... so this might be a good place to go! I've never taken the train... it always looks fun in the movies. Would NOT be fun to go alone though... I'll have to seek out a nessaholic on campus or something.

Ivy Lynne

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - look+ivys+on
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 08:32:22 am »
Quote from: "eclv"
You're funny Ivy. But if that was an issue it still wouldn't stop me.

:razz:
...I see you now, at the show....
7TH IN THE 7TH ROW.

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 01:21:15 am »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
I've been wanting to take the train somewhere... so this might be a good place to go! I've never taken the train... it always looks fun in the movies. Would NOT be fun to go alone though... I'll have to seek out a nessaholic on campus or something.

The train is fun!  I took it to Memphis back in May to go to the Beale Street Music Festival with Megan.  It wasn't a long trip, but it was nice, so soft and comforting.  I'm looking forward to a longer trip sometime, though. :D
Dustin

charmedguy18

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 01:30:44 pm »
I.WANT.TO.GO.SOOOOO.DAMN.BADLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magicalsleeper

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 09:48:32 am »
I was looking for something to do this new years.  And it just happens to be in my town, woo hoo!

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 05:22:32 pm »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"

The train is fun!  I took it to Memphis back in May to go to the Beale Street Music Festival with Megan.  It wasn't a long trip, but it was nice, so soft and comforting.  I'm looking forward to a longer trip sometime, though. :D

ohhhh yea! I might just do it. The chances have been upped from 25 to 50%... it's there or NYC. It's all so up in the air, or on the ground... exciting...

loveplasticlove

• Moderators
  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - loveplasticlove
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 11:30:40 pm »
Quote from: "eclv"
Katia is trying to talk me into this. We'll see...

you're disowned.
"I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist."  -Marilyn Manson
SuperScientific: I have a eggroll to shove in your rice patty lol

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 12:39:09 am »
I'm jealous of you all who get to go! Have fun!!!!!!
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
New Year's Eve Party featuring Vanessa and 3eb
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 07:09:02 am »
Vanessa Carlton

December, 31 2006 at Tempe Fiesta Bowl Block Party
Downtown, Tempe, Arizona
Cost: $15.00

I don't know if this has been posted or whatever but I thought I'd let people know! I know I'm not going, I live like hundreds of miles away but maybe someone can go and tape it for us!  :D

clamicas

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - claricecassou@hotmail.com
    • View Profile

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 03:38:50 pm »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  Thanks a lot for putting it in the right section! *awkward laugh* hehehe  :D

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 07:55:40 am »
here's a little Q&A thing posted on VCMB about the party:

Pianist-singer Vanessa Carlton will have her work cut out when she co-headlines with Third Eye Blind on the main concert stage at this year's raucous Insight Fiesta Bowl Block Party, which is expected to draw 150,000 revelers to downtown Tempe on Sunday night.

Carlton, who rose to fame in 2002 with her single A Thousand Miles, will perform without the band that enlivens several songs on her two albums, but she sounds fearless about the gig.

Perhaps that's because her boyfriend, Third Eye Blind singer Stephan Jenkins, will be watching as she performs songs from her two CDs, 2002's Be Not Nobody and 2004's Harmonium.

Carlton, 26, called from a restaurant in Santa Monica, Calif., to talk about the New Year's show.

Question: A huge crowd of partyers, many of whom start early in the afternoon, is expected at this year's party. Are you worried that some of your mellow songs might be overpowered?

Answer: I can party as hard as the best of them, play my piano and join the party.

Q: Will it just be you and your piano onstage?

A: Yes. I'm the more contemplative chapter of the evening. People can still get a buzz on while watching me and getting prepared for the New Year's celebration.

Q: What do you have planned for the set? Will you spotlight Harmonium?

A: I'm going to play a couple of songs from Harmonium, a couple from Be Not Nobody and a couple of new songs. We'll have a little mixed salad. I'm in the midst of finishing up my third record, and I'd like to test it on the crowd. Audiences are the best judge for me, how they react to a song.

Q: With Harmonium being less polished than Be Not Nobody, you've mentioned that your live show is a bit more rough around the edges. How so?

A: I really enjoy playing by myself; I control the entire sound of the show. It's a very intense, intimate, like you're-in-my-living-room, VH1 Unplugged vibe. I (provide) this pure, kind of raw version of my performing self.

Q: Have you spent much time in Arizona during your tours?

A: I love Arizona. I'm actually going there, outside of Tucson. My parents, my family and I get together at this dude ranch and we ride horses for two weeks. Then I'll just hop over to Tempe from there. I love the desert.

Q: Third Eye Blind is also on the New Year's bill. Was that planned or a coincidence?

A: We met the promoter at one of their gigs . . . and he said, "You guys should come and do a show together." So they invited both of us, which is nice because we get to spend New Year's Eve together.

Q: Have you preferred to play on New Year's Eve over the years or have it off?

A: New Year's Eve, for me, ends up being a really anticlimactic moment. I'm sure everyone has related to the idea of there being so many parties going on but you can't really find the right one. So you just end up going to bed, which has happened to me many times. So I'd rather be playing music.

Q: Is there a chance you might end up onstage with Third Eye Blind in Tempe?

A: Maybe as a background singer or a pole dancer.

Q: You ran in the New York Marathon last year for charity. We have the P.F. Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Marathon here Jan. 14, in case you want to tackle another one.

A: I have continued running, but I don't think I will ever run in another marathon. It was an incredible experience, and I realized I'm a tough (woman), which is what I wanted to figure out.

Q: The charity you supported, Musicians on Call, connects artists with sick people. Has your schedule allowed you to do some playing as well as the fund-raising?

A: It's life-changing. I've visited the children's hospital on (Manhattan's) Upper West Side. I've gone in there and had a little keyboard and just went from bed to bed and played. The kids are in such a depression and darkness. Their eyes light up and get wider when you play. I think music has a huge impact on sick people.

Q: When will that new album be released?

A: I think spring of next year. It's the happiest I've ever been in preparing for recording a record.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/articles/1230carlton1230.html
Thanks to i gotta wear shades.

VaderDawsn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 09:19:00 am »
thanks for sharing!  Sounds like she's gonna be doing a great show.
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 01:23:16 pm »
Q: Is there a chance you might end up onstage with Third Eye Blind in Tempe?

A: Maybe as a background singer or a pole dancer.

ROFL
Vanessa still cracks me up!  :lol:
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 10:46:47 pm »