Author Topic: are you giving anything up for lent?  (Read 6243 times)

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
are you giving anything up for lent?
« on: February 21, 2007, 03:06:40 am »
I'm not religious, but every year I try to give something up for lent and I always fail... not sure what it is. Usually it's that I get almost all the way through, then spring break hits and I'm like fuck it I've made it this far, obviously I could do it if I wanted to. But this time around I really want to... there's something about this lent thing that I'm just not getting. So maybe the trick is to give up basically everything possible? So that's what I'm doing, no soda no coffee no junk food no alcohol or related recreations no TV no movies. wish me luck!

I seriously might not last a week... apparently.  Somebody in my dorm has money on the 25th.

[edit] oh and no internet except for school/email... that was the purpose of this post haha see ya guys in 40

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 03:35:02 am »
I haven't done that since I was like 12.

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:30:28 am »
good luck with that =)

my one friend is going without facebook...

i cant do that :-p
i donno what to do, so i always just dont think about it.

Emmyspiano

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EmilyRMiller89
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/imaginationplayground
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:52:21 am »
im not very religous but im going to give up eating meat.  good luck to you guys
And if you don't believe me just put your hands on me
I see the dalai lama, I feel him blessing me

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:12:50 am »
One of my friends is giving up masturbation. I am seriously considering betting against her ability to do so.

I'm not Catholic, so I'm not giving anything up. YAY!
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 12:53:33 pm »
I honestly don't know what I want to give up. If I take out soda, that means no more energy drinks and I need the energy since I don't drink coffee anymore. I'm not giving up going to the gym because my goal is to lose 20 more pounds, which will not happen if I give up the gym, and I pay for that! I don't eat junk food or fast food...or sweets. I've already set aside my credit card and debit card because I was buying way too many things with my discount at work. Its been like three weeks now. I don't party or drink. My life is simple and ordinary and if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:51:32 pm »
Quote from: "Manda"
I honestly don't know what I want to give up. If I take out soda, that means no more energy drinks and I need the energy since I don't drink coffee anymore. I'm not giving up going to the gym because my goal is to lose 20 more pounds, which will not happen if I give up the gym, and I pay for that! I don't eat junk food or fast food...or sweets. I've already set aside my credit card and debit card because I was buying way too many things with my discount at work. Its been like three weeks now. I don't party or drink. My life is simple and ordinary and if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

My suggestion would be to not give anything up.  :lol:  

Do you watch too much tv?
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:36:39 pm »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
Quote from: "Manda"

My suggestion would be to not give anything up.  :lol:  

Do you watch too much tv?

No, I don't watch television. Just movies now and then I buy at work. But I haven't bought anything in a while without my credit/debit card.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 09:20:55 pm »
I couldn't give up watching tv for the world, even on my busiest days I manage to watch at least an hour.

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 10:28:16 pm »
Quote from: "ManuelD"
I couldn't give up watching tv for the world, even on my busiest days I manage to watch at least an hour.

everyone is different. television was always something I hated, it just bugs me. I used to go around and turn off the televisions, I still do now, just not as much. the sound, shows, the light, it all bugs me. I LOVE the peace and quiet, maybe a little music, but no tv.

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 08:46:47 am »
giving up the meats...(everything non veg...)

And I managed to fast on Ash Wednesday...(I normally never manage to do this...but this time...YAY!!!)
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 02:56:24 pm »
I love meat! I don't think I could give up meat every day until easter. yikes, the horror it may bring me. haha

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 11:07:51 am »
I'm back! wow lent was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I was kinda going off the deep end there... I wasn't successful in everything. I kinda learned what "addictions" I had control over, and which were controlling me. I messed up weed and it was really disappointing. There was a point where I seriously felt like I had no option but to smoke. How ridiculous is that?

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 04:14:54 pm »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
I'm back! wow lent was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I was kinda going off the deep end there... I wasn't successful in everything. I kinda learned what "addictions" I had control over, and which were controlling me. I messed up weed and it was really disappointing. There was a point where I seriously felt like I had no option but to smoke. How ridiculous is that?

I just heard on the radio that meat and coffee make the cigarette taste more attractive while many vegetables make it less attractive, so maybe changing your diet a bit could help you.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 05:54:53 pm »
I'm giving up my religious beliefs for lent.  :wink: :razz: