Author Topic: Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves  (Read 31458 times)

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007, 04:05:31 pm »
SPRING STREET. ENOUGH SAID.

Zloska_of_yy

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - ernstkuiper@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yesteryearzloska
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 05:48:47 am »
My turn!

Nolita Fairytale - Nice introduction to the new sound that she created for herself. Heard it already a lot of times, but holds up nicely.

Hands On Me - Well wasn't expecting this to be so different from what we heard so far, but love it. Really like the mellowness of the first verse. All the odd sounds strangely add a lot to the song. Last piece with the choir is GREAT.

Spring Street - Don't know about this one yet. I like the emotion it tries to convey (and conveys very well) and the subdued nature of both the music and vocals. But due to its repetitive nature and the nananana's I think it might get old quickly.

My Best - Another one I am not sure about. It's beginning to grow on me, but it has a slight childish feel to it, but after the first minute it gets better. Ending is sort of awkward.

Come Undone - Intro is nice, but sort of weird in the context of the rest of the song. The song itself is very poppy, but I like it. Vocals are incredible and it is a showcase of how much her vocals have grown from BnN. Nice lyrics as well. It's interesting to note that without the intro and lengthy outro (which I love) the song would last about two minutes.

The One - Well what to say about this one.... Stevie's vocals are criticized rather heavily, but they don't bother me that much. Yes they are flat and they sound like a myriad of different things (dying water buffalo anyone, my own description can be found in the "it's leaked" topic), but for some reason they don't bug me. Maybe it's because I'm not too interested in this song. It's one of the weaker ones one the album for me. Can't put my finger on why.

Heroes & Thieves - Really like it and I didn't expect I would. Very Ordinary Day as some people already pointed out, but that's a good thing in my book. The vocals are great and the whole song has an amazing uplifting feel to it.

This Time - Personal worst of the album (at the time). It's basically the Promosquad version and it's sloooow. Vocals are completely off at times and resemble shouting at times and it just doesn't work in the framework of the rest of the album. Seems Vanessa matured musically beyond this song but had to include this for some reason. Why, oh why not Best Behaviour (or All is Well for that matter)?????

Fools Like Me - Love it, love it, love it. Was one of my pre-album favourites and now I like it even more, very powerful (and danceable). Strong vocals, great lyrics and a showcase of the new style she adopted. And I disagree that this is purely a sad song, because I think it does have a very positive message.

Home - Great song. Pre-album it did little for me, but listening to the full studio version has given me a greater appreciation of it. First few lines of lyrics are a little 12-years-old, but the general message is a beautiful one. Furthermore, it becomes stronger and stronger as the song progresses adding new layers until it really becomes a beautifully complete song. Don't think I have to say anything about the outro.

More Than This - I have been ranting about this song ever since I heard it. GORGEOUS. No doubt about it and I totally agree with the 11/10 someone else gave it. Great vocals and lyrics and most of all a beautiful message to conclude the album with. The addition of the choir near the end of the song is the single best addition to the entire album. Also great build-up of the song and the music and vocals create an amazingly warm and earthy atmosphere.

If you read this far, congratulations!!!!
I love Heroes & Thieves. There are some weaker songs, but the new style is one I really like even though I was not expecting it. A very pleasant surprise.
"If it all went away, nothing left to say, oh would you fight it or would you lay down."

Nessaholic4Ever

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - none
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 08:09:39 am »
Ok, now that I've had time to let the album sink in, here is my review.

1. Nolita Fairytale- Great introduction to the album. Very unique for Vanessa, and when I first heard it, I thought it would be the only one of its kind on the album. I was completely wrong, and as a result, was disappointed upon my first listen, but now I love it.

2. Hands on Me- I've always hated the lyrics to this song, they're incredibly stupid, but I've always loved the melody. And to hear it fully produced...WOW. The vocals, the drums, the strings...WOW. If this is not the second single, it will be the biggest mistake of Vanessa's life. This song will be a hit. It's singable and fast and beautiful and exhilarating.

3. Spring Street- My only peeve with this song is that it's slower than what I would have liked, without a strong beat. But other than that, I love it. The lyrics are amazing and the message is one that everyone can relate to. It especially hit me at this point in my life. Strangely enough, the "na na na na" thing doesn't get on my nerves. Usually I HATE repetition. Huh.

4. My Best- A huge disappointment the first time I heard it. Now I love it. I love the lyrics and the sentiment of it. And the melody...adore that melody.

5. Come Undone- Another one I didn't like. Now, it's becoming one of my favorites. The piano and the melody are so gorgeous. And it's such a sad song. I love so many of the lines in it, but these in particular really strike a chord: "There are so many people in this lifetime we should never meet. To be here without you now, my life's so incomplete." So sad!!!  :(

6. The One- I've always loved this song, and to hear the studio version at last is awesome. Two problems, however: A. Stevie. She sounds bad. Very bad. They should have just used her vocals as backing vocals. Instead it's like a duet. Ugh. The times when Vanessa sings by herself, it's like, "Ah. relief." :) And B. The mix. Sometimes Vanessa's voice gets buried by the instruments, particularly during the "And now you look at me..." part, which sucks, because that's one of my favorite parts.

7. Heroes and Thieves- One of my favorites before, and now I love it even more. I certainly didn't expect it to be like it is, but I LOVE it. It's so sunny and uplifting. One of my favorites on the album.

8. This Time- I like it. Would definitely make a good single. It's very commercial.

9. Fools Like Me- Another one that I loved beforehand. I NEVER expected it to be so fast. I thought it would be very slow. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE what they've done with it. Another favorite.

10. Home- Such a beautiful song. Vanessa's voice, the lyrics, gorgeous. And that piano playing at the end?  8O It's dizzying.

11. More Than This- Without a doubt, the best song on the album, and in my opinion, the best song she's EVER written. EVER. It hit me like a ton of bricks. The first time I heard it, I sobbed. I bawled. I can't believe how good it is. Sheer perfection.[/b]
I waste the days away
Waiting on a new age
But time betrays me
And I get older one more year

HarmySandwhich

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 09:11:45 am »
I promised to write a review of Heroes and Thieves and so I think I will now. Admitably, upon first listening, I didn't think the album was anything really special. I don't mean that in a negative way - of course I really enjoyed listening to it the first time and the anticipation of what the next one track would sound like. But personally, I didn't get any real amazement until I heard Home. Obviously, I had heard it to some extent thanks to Ghisy hooking me up and the recording Nessa did with Star Lounge Radio. I had always loved this song and there wasn't one second that I thought it could get any better. Well, I was wrong. The thought of this song having strings, a piano solo and a drum rhythm never cross my mind at all. Saying that, these additions make Home even more special that it already is. I can't really beging to explain just how wonderful that piece of music is, especially the piano solo. Its melody and the way the drums are placed - it's just something you'll be humming for many years to come. I love the way Home stops [as if finished] and starts again. Whenever I listen to that piano solo, I keep thinking to myself that I'm really lucky to be able to find music which is so gorgeous. If I had to make a negative critisism, I would say that the very ending sounds too much like Pachabel's Canon.

Let's get back to the start with Nolita Fairytale. Ever since I heard that promo clip of this song, I thought, "that's it - this is going to be such a John Mayer Continuum-like album". I couldn't be more right and suprisingly, I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. This isn't necessarily a bad opinion, in fact it isn't. I like John Mayer but I always thought he was much better sticking at the acoustic-pop stuff. Getting back on Nessa, I believe that this swift change is good for her. It's refreshingly different from both Be Not Nobody and Harmonium. I think she's at a stage where she's producing more singable tracks and she knows she's getting better at creating melody. Nolita Fairytale is no exception and I generally find this song to be completely solid. My only pet peeve is the part where Nessa shouts out, "Hey!", which reminds me too much of Avril. I'm not a fan of Avril and anyone is perfectly entitled to write any lyrics they want to but in my opinion, the "Hey!" part just didn't think. It would be better off without it.

Moving swiftly to Put Your Hands on Me - i've got to say that I don't like the production of this song. I think that it's an awesome song. I loved it ever since she debuted it. I was actually expecting this track to be a solo song with little drumming much like Afterglow was. Instead, I heard the track which appeared to me, as being over-produced. The more I listen to this track the more I can pick things that I don't like. Those strings that appear - upond first listen I didn't think they were too bad but I do now. Let's be honest, it's not the best violin you've heard is it? The sound of the violins sound weak and sound more like added effects rather than actually coming from a wooded and holed instrument. Another thing which I didn't like it how upbeat the song was - the drumming sounded as if it came from a drum machine [I'm a guitar player and that drum machine sound is only too familiar to my ears]. I disliked the way the track included added vocal effects just before the chorus. If you listen real carefully, you can hear some vocal effect thats very subdued and sounds very much like - "Oh boy!" There are two further things that annoy me about this song - the added vocals on the chorus sounded terrible I think - those high vocals harmonized with Nessas. I didn't like that too much and the same goes with the Choir. I don't hate this song but I was just disappointed - way too overproduced.

I'm going to go on one of my favourites, Spring Street. Like many, I didn't like this upon first listen. It was hard to pick a real melody I think. You can always tell whether a song has melody. Likewise, you can always tell when the melody consists mainly of aimless singing trying to stick to a particular tune. This was exactly the first thing that I thought of. However, it grew on me and there is definitely a melody there in the verses, even though it's quite hard to make out. The "Nanana" part doesn't really annoy me but I believe that Nessa could have done better with the verses. My favourite part of this song is the part beginning, "Everything Changes". It sounds like a completely different song but like Home, I think it's a gorgeous piece of music, especially when Nessa sings the note, "Never Forget You". It's that gorgeous voice which really makes me adore her - it's very admirable. It's a very well produced track I think.

The next song is one which is still growing on me. The song is called My Best and it is evidently not her best track but that doesn't matter because that's not what the reference is to :lol:. It's a heartbreaking story about two lovers who have decided to split but never forget they their partner's always gave their best so even though there are no tears it just commemorates a very unfortunate happening. My favourite part of this song is the chorus - no doubt about it. It's sticks in your head and it's very catchy. I also like the way Nessa changes her pitch when she sings, "Never Tell" - if only she did more of those in this track.
The only criticism of this track I can think of is the fact that the verses are just too long. At least that's just what I think. I find myself trying to sing the chorus but falling short just because I didn't expect the verse to be too long. It's a great effort Nessa but I would have enjoyed a much simpler verse.

The next song is Come Undone and i'll be frank, it's alright at best. But by contrast, Come Undone has one of my favourite highlights of the album - i'll comment on this later. I really like the piano bridge but I think the verse is too weak. It's quite like My Best where I didn't know if there was an actual melody or aimless singing. In my opinion, there is very little melody in the beginning verse but I really like her singing when she does actually sing. I think she used the words, "Come Undone" too much. I mentioned briefly that Come Undone had one of my favourite parts of the whole album: this happens beginning, "I tell you what you mean to me" - where she hums out the main bridge. Oh wow - I love music with a lot of humming exactly like this, which is why i'm a huuuge Jessica Harp fan. It's simply beautiful!

Now - let's skip to the worst of the album. The One - let me just stress how much I really, really like this song but I am so disappointed with the way it turned out especially with the vocals Stevie did. A lot of Nessaholics here have expressed the same opinion. Some have suggested not listening to Stevie but how is that really possible? It's there like drowning Cow, mooing. No disrespect to Stevie of course who is legendary but I really didn't like the way she sang The One. The fact that she sang this song the way she did is a major negative criticism. I love everything else but I think Stevie has ruined it for me because I always dread hearing the chorus whenever I listen to this song. So far, editing Stevie's vocals have been a impossible feat for me but i'm still trying, :lol:. One of the things i'm glad about the way The One did turn out was the fact that she played the Alternate version that she debuted live in Japan. This features a difference in the way she uses the chords on the verse, which makes the song sound much more sad as she gradually steps down from each chord she plays. But personally, i'd give anything to have the old version of The One back [the one she debuted Live @ The Living Room] on the condition that Stevie is excluded.

The next track is Heroes and Thieves. In my personal opinion, I think this is quite a neutral track but I didn't think it was that great as to call the album after it. I would be more satisfied if the album was called something like, "Fools Like Me" [*asks for a show of hands of those who agree*]. Even Nolita Fairytale would have sounded better. However, I think there's a reason why elected Heroes and Thieves - would it be perhaps because it's the main theme of the album? I'm pretty sure this is the reason. Heroes and Thieves is a wonderful track and I have to give Nessa a lot of credit for singing and keeping the parts she struggled with - the crack in her voice in the chorus. In some places such as the very end it sounds quite bad but better than the promo version that was released a while ago. However, saying that I think she did a realy good attempt at the second chorus where it was almost perfect. Heroes and Thieves for me is quite a neutral track - amazing melody but there wasn't anything particularly special about it. What I liked most was the bridge towards the end where she builds up a beautiful hum - "without you...ohh..". It's lovely. +10 for more of these on the next album. All these hums are a great way of producing melody in the album.

This time, I have to say is one of my favourites off the new album, if not, my favourite. It's exactly the way I envisioned it. Of course, we all had the promo version but there was some confusion about whether this would actually be the final product. The album version is exactly the promo version and I couldn't ask for more. This song is absolutely perfect, from head to toe. There is nothing negative about it and I really mean it. This along with Home are, in my opinion two very, very solid songs without any fault at all. I'm not being nice, I'm telling you "my truth" [no pun intended]. I love the ending where Nessa sings, "This Time" - it's heartbreaking just listening to it but that crucial element is what makes this song so enjoyable. It's got so much emotion to it and i'm astounded how deep this track is.

Alright, i'm coming towards the end of the album with Fools like me. Initially, this track really took me be suprise because the first time Nessa sang this track, it was quite quite dark. To be completely honest, I was expecting this to be very similar to Afterglow. I couldn't be more wrong. This track is upbeat and I'd like to compare this track to Private Radio. I love the additional male vocals which I believe adds something more depth to this song - is that Stephen? It's also very nice to hear Nessa trying to grow as a singer by singing higher notes than she did previously with Be Not Nobody and Harmonium. All credit goes to Nessa because she's evolving into a better singer with each record.

Last track review before my fucking hands fall off. It's called More than This and I still stand my opinion that it sounds like Over the Rainbow, especially the beginning piano bridge. This track is a really personal and beautiful track, I feel. It's full of melody but I have to say the only thing I didn't like about it was the part beginning, "The Tree grows so thick". Quite simply, it doesn't go. No. I didn't like it. To me, it just sounded like aimless singing which I was quite disappointed about. This is a pretty negative criticism I think. This along with Stevie's Vocals are the only two very bad things about this albums, I believe.
In contrast, good call on the choir.

Overall, i'm astounded. Nessa has outdone herself. I never thought for one second that she couldn't. This album is by far superior to Be Not Nobody and in a total different league to Harmonium. Sure, Harmonium was more technical but i'm glad that Nessa traded that for improved vocals on this album. This album has got me playing it, over 15 times and still counting. Great job Nessa - I will love your music forever.

Formerly known as Meraphix

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 09:57:13 am »
Are you all joking about Spring Street not being melodic? You MUST be joking. I would argue it's one of (if not) the MOST melodic song on the album. This song gets stuck in my head already and I have only known it for less than a day. And I don't just mean the "na na na" part- the verses I even find catchy.

If you've ever heard Josh Rouse's Nashville album, and you probably haven't because he's not very well known at all, Spring Street sounds very much like some of the songs on that album.

I call them breezy - because they are so melodic.

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 10:01:10 am »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
Are you all joking about Spring Street not being melodic? You MUST be joking. I would argue it's one of (if not) the MOST melodic song on the album. This song gets stuck in my head already and I have only known it for less than a day. And I don't just mean the "na na na" part- the verses I even find catchy.

If you've ever heard Josh Rouse's Nashville album, and you probably haven't because he's not very well known at all, Spring Street sounds very much like some of the songs on that album.

lol. I was expecting some sort of retaliation from the Nessaholics. Simply put, I don't deny there is melody in there but I thought that there was very little in the verses and it was quite hard to pick it up. Towards the second half, however there was a clear melody. In my opinion, the track with the most melody would have to be either This Time or The One.

I haven't actually heard of Josh Rouse but I will have to check him out and compare him to Nessa. Thank You for the recommendation.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 10:14:58 am »
Maybe it's just what we're used to because I thought there was a clear melody all the way through it! But then again I listen to a lot of music similar in style to this particular song and so I might just be used to it.

But I agree that This Time's melody is definitely very structured. Almost annoyingly so, haha.

And Josh Rouse is really good. I only have his Nashville album, but it's excellent. Seriously, every song is good. If I were you I'd check out "My Love Has Gone", "Middle School From", "It's the Nighttime", and "Carolina" in particular. But he does have a new cd he's promoting now. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 10:37:24 am »
So, here's my opinion on the album now that I've had time to sit down with it.

The album's poorly paced in my opinion. The album is very bright - there's nothing wrong with that, but the album goes from begining to end without straying far from this very stylized and bright sound that's been created. The songs tend to bleed into one another, since they don't differ in intensity, or feel, or style, so the album just moves along in this very straight line and doesn't fluxuate or breathe under its own weight.

~~~

Nolita Fairytale - One of the stronger tracks on the album, and after now being able to compare it the rest of the album I can see why Irv and Vanessa used it as the lead single. This is the only track on the album which doesn't use strings either, the string work throughout the album is awesome, but it would've been nice to see other forms of instrumentation used on some tracks besides strings. This is also the most percussive song she's ever written, and it's well written, so it stands out.

Hands On Me - I really think Put Your Hands On Me would've been a more attention grabbing title, and Vanessa's sexy, even if she isn't walking around in belly shirts, she shouldn't be afraid to exhibit some part of her sexuality. We're all sexual beings, and there's plenty of people that wouldn't mind putting their hands on Vanessa. Haha. Sorry.

This track was the biggest surprise for me production wise, completely different from what I was expecting. I was anticipating a ballad, and woaaah, instead we get smacked down with a catchy uptempo song. This definately needs to be the next single, Irv and Vanessa would be mad not use it as a follow up to Nolita Fairytale.

A friend of mine is also convinced that the begining samples 50 Cent's "I Got Money In The Bank" song, but for some reason I doubt that since Irv's got beef 50. lol

Spring Street - Alright, in my opinion this is the worst track on the album. The na na's are nasally and sung in a monotone manner. It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't so goddamn prominent throughout the whole song. The song has strong moments (the lyrics are also very good), especially the bridge, but then it just goes back into that boring drawl of "na na na" and I feel that it ruins the song. But other people seem to really enjoy this track, so to each their own. It just better not be a single, because no matter how much song of you like, this is NOT good radio material no matter how you look at it, there are better tracks on this album that can be used as singles.

My Best - This is my favorite song on the album! And I seem to be the only one that insantly took the song upon first listen. This song is the only song that really departs from the other tracks, the production and her approach to writing the song is a change of pace for her, and I think it's the only song where she delves into this other side of her.

It's got a very Regina Spektor-ish vibe to the song, but surpasses any of Regina's work in my opinion (Regina's too goddamn artsy fartsy for my tastes). I love how she hums the melody, it's extremely cute and endearing. My only complaint is that the song is so short! And when it finally builds up and she sings, "It's like a promise kept, it's like you never left" which is an extremely strong and catchy moment in the song, it's over before you realize it. The verses are a little long, and the chorus is too short.

But I guess that's what I like about it in the end, it's a little unconventional in it's format.

Come Undone - I love the begining of this song, I absolutely love organ and the filtered effect she uses on it is great I think. When I first heard the song, I thought this was going to be a dark and brooding track, but the organ is a bit of a false start, you'd think the song would continue in that direction but then it does a 180 and goes back into this very bright and light sound present throughout the album, which is frusterating.

The song however is very good, even if it is bright, however I don't think it's single material. She only starts singing 1 minute into the song, and she only continues to sing for 2 minutes, and then closes the song with an outro that lasts a minute and a half. And it's only because the song features very little singing that I don't think it'd make a good single, even though it's very catchy.

The One - So, here we go. This song is amazing, the intro is awesome, and the production is great. BUT. Stevie Nick's is not an asset for Vanessa during this song, Stevie is a distraction. Their voices do not harmonize well at all. Stevie has a tendancy to sound like a billie goat when she sings, and her register is a lot lower than Vanessa's, they have very different voices that do not blend and work together well at all.

And it's a shame, because this really is a great song, but Stevie does more harm than good I feel.

Heroes & Thieves - The title track is awesome, what more can you say. This song has a very folky vibe to it, for some reason I could totally see River Dance performed to this song, hahaha. I absolutely love the bridge in this song, it's the songs strongest moment I think. Vanessa has a bit of trouble performing this song live, but I think she pulls it off here (with the help of some studio work, lol). This song has a great message, it's like a coming of age piece, great great song.

This Time - Alright, I don't like This Time, even when she debuted it for the first time I still didn't like it. Linda Perry was great when she first hit the scene as a producer working with people such as Pink and Christina Aguilera, but now this is stuff we've all heard before. This song is traditional standard Linda Perry ballad affair, and nothing more. It's uninspired, conventional and boring. It's also got some pretty cliche lyrics. "And when it hurts - I cry", oh please, whatever. These lyrics piss me off.

Fools Like Me - Okay, this is an awesomely dark and poignant song live. WHAT IS UP WITH THE STUDIO VERSION. lol The whistling during the begining completely threw me off, it sounds like the music for those stupid Vehix.com commercials, you know, like the one with the dog and the whistling. It's stupid.

I like the little electronic nuances they throw in, and this is a fun song, but jesus, it completely alters the tone of the song, this is the one song that had the potential to be a dark track, but nooo, we got more of this bright happy sound, again.

Home - Beautiful song, everyone loves this song, you'd have to be an idiot to not like it, the outro is beautiful, there's really not much I can say about this song that no one else already hasn't.

More Than This - I like More Than This, I love the harpsichord at the end and such. But I really don't think this is the song of Vanessa's career, that's very much an overstatement but it is her strongest album closer thus far.

~~~

I was disapointed that there wasn't a piano only track, this album is heavily heavily produced, and a piano only track would have given the album a short moment to breathe and relax under all it's production. That's another problem with this album, this is album is so heavily produced that it suffocates the songs under all its heavy production. No matter how epic a song is in scale, the production still constricts it.

Overall this is a strong album, and I really like it, but I just wish it was a more balanced album, it's very in your face throughout the entire listen. It's like, when your listening to it you can see Vanessa popping up on your shoulder being all, "LOOK AT HOW AMAZING THE PRODUCTION IS. LISTEN. SEE. I'M BACK BITCHES. GIVE THEM MORE STRINGS - MOOORE STRIIINGS" And then she'll start cackling, because apparently she cackles according to The Post. lol
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

Nessaholic4Ever

• MSN Messenger - none
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 11:04:12 am »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"
So, here's my opinion on the album now that I've had time to sit down with it.

The album's poorly paced in my opinion. The album is very bright - there's nothing wrong with that, but the album goes from begining to end without straying far from this very stylized and bright sound that's been created. The songs tend to bleed into one another, since they don't differ in intensity, or feel, or style, so the album just moves along in this very straight line and doesn't fluxuate or breathe under its own weight.

~~~

Nolita Fairytale - One of the stronger tracks on the album, and after now being able to compare it the rest of the album I can see why Irv and Vanessa used it as the lead single. This is the only track on the album which doesn't use strings either, the string work throughout the album is awesome, but it would've been nice to see other forms of instrumentation used on some tracks besides strings. This is also the most percussive song she's ever written, and it's well written, so it stands out.

Hands On Me - I really think Put Your Hands On Me would've been a more attention grabbing title, and Vanessa's sexy, even if she isn't walking around in belly shirts, she shouldn't be afraid to exhibit some part of her sexuality. We're all sexual beings, and there's plenty of people that wouldn't mind putting their hands on Vanessa. Haha. Sorry.

This track was the biggest surprise for me production wise, completely different from what I was expecting. I was anticipating a ballad, and woaaah, instead we get smacked down with a catchy uptempo song. This definately needs to be the next single, Irv and Vanessa would be mad not use it as a follow up to Nolita Fairytale.

A friend of mine is also convinced that the begining samples 50 Cent's "I Got Money In The Bank" song, but for some reason I doubt that since Irv's got beef 50. lol

Spring Street - Alright, in my opinion this is the worst track on the album. The na na's are nasally and sung in a monotone manner. It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't so goddamn prominent throughout the whole song. The song has strong moments (the lyrics are also very good), especially the bridge, but then it just goes back into that boring drawl of "na na na" and I feel that it ruins the song. But other people seem to really enjoy this track, so to each their own. It just better not be a single, because no matter how much song of you like, this is NOT good radio material no matter how you look at it, there are better tracks on this album that can be used as singles.

My Best - This is my favorite song on the album! And I seem to be the only one that insantly took the song upon first listen. This song is the only song that really departs from the other tracks, the production and her approach to writing the song is a change of pace for her, and I think it's the only song where she delves into this other side of her.

It's got a very Regina Spektor-ish vibe to the song, but surpasses any of Regina's work in my opinion (Regina's too goddamn artsy fartsy for my tastes). I love how she hums the melody, it's extremely cute and endearing. My only complaint is that the song is so short! And when it finally builds up and she sings, "It's like a promise kept, it's like you never left" which is an extremely strong and catchy moment in the song, it's over before you realize it. The verses are a little long, and the chorus is too short.

But I guess that's what I like about it in the end, it's a little unconventional in it's format.

Come Undone - I love the begining of this song, I absolutely love organ and the filtered effect she uses on it is great I think. When I first heard the song, I thought this was going to be a dark and brooding track, but the organ is a bit of a false start, you'd think the song would continue in that direction but then it does a 180 and goes back into this very bright and light sound present throughout the album, which is frusterating.

The song however is very good, even if it is bright, however I don't think it's single material. She only starts singing 1 minute into the song, and she only continues to sing for 2 minutes, and then closes the song with an outro that lasts a minute and a half. And it's only because the song features very little singing that I don't think it'd make a good single, even though it's very catchy.

The One - So, here we go. This song is amazing, the intro is awesome, and the production is great. BUT. Stevie Nick's is not an asset for Vanessa during this song, Stevie is a distraction. Their voices do not harmonize well at all. Stevie has a tendancy to sound like a billie goat when she sings, and her register is a lot lower than Vanessa's, they have very different voices that do not blend and work together well at all.

And it's a shame, because this really is a great song, but Stevie does more harm than good I feel.

Heroes & Thieves - The title track is awesome, what more can you say. This song has a very folky vibe to it, for some reason I could totally see River Dance performed to this song, hahaha. I absolutely love the bridge in this song, it's the songs strongest moment I think. Vanessa has a bit of trouble performing this song live, but I think she pulls it off here (with the help of some studio work, lol). This song has a great message, it's like a coming of age piece, great great song.

This Time - Alright, I don't like This Time, even when she debuted it for the first time I still didn't like it. Linda Perry was great when she first hit the scene as a producer working with people such as Pink and Christina Aguilera, but now this is stuff we've all heard before. This song is traditional standard Linda Perry ballad affair, and nothing more. It's uninspired, conventional and boring. It's also got some pretty cliche lyrics. "And when it hurts - I cry", oh please, whatever. These lyrics piss me off.

Fools Like Me - Okay, this is an awesomely dark and poignant song live. WHAT IS UP WITH THE STUDIO VERSION. lol The whistling during the begining completely threw me off, it sounds like the music for those stupid Vehix.com commercials, you know, like the one with the dog and the whistling. It's stupid.

I like the little electronic nuances they throw in, and this is a fun song, but jesus, it completely alters the tone of the song, this is the one song that had the potential to be a dark track, but nooo, we got more of this bright happy sound, again.

Home - Beautiful song, everyone loves this song, you'd have to be an idiot to not like it, the outro is beautiful, there's really not much I can say about this song that no one else already hasn't.

More Than This - I like More Than This, I love the harpsichord at the end and such. But I really don't think this is the song of Vanessa's career, that's very much an overstatement but it is her strongest album closer thus far.

~~~

I was disapointed that there wasn't a piano only track, this album is heavily heavily produced, and a piano only track would have given the album a short moment to breathe and relax under all it's production. That's another problem with this album, this is album is so heavily produced that it suffocates the songs under all its heavy production. No matter how epic a song is in scale, the production still constricts it.

Overall this is a strong album, and I really like it, but I just wish it was a more balanced album, it's very in your face throughout the entire listen. It's like, when your listening to it you can see Vanessa popping up on your shoulder being all, "LOOK AT HOW AMAZING THE PRODUCTION IS. LISTEN. SEE. I'M BACK BITCHES. GIVE THEM MORE STRINGS - MOOORE STRIIINGS" And then she'll start cackling, because apparently she cackles according to The Post. lol

I really don't think this album is overproduced. Be Not Nobody was; it was overproduced to death. This one is every bit as organic as Harmonium...it just has way more layers. It's more complex, but I think that makes it amazing.
I waste the days away
Waiting on a new age
But time betrays me
And I get older one more year

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 11:59:09 am »
I don't mind the more upbeat feel, but in my opinion it doesn't really go with the feeling we've been getting from her live performances of the songs- the album art- and the lyrics of all the songs. It's like she took all these dark songs and brightened them up with lively piano and what I think of as "twinkling" effects- or cutesy things that add a more happy tone.

Idk if she's trying to be ironic or if she just wants to make the songs more appealing- and I like a lot of the songs both ways- but I wonder if she is going to stay with the dark, solemn tone on tours.

Boy of Summer

• AOL Instant Messenger - thenolitafairyta
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 02:09:22 pm »
seems the more i listen to this album the more i love it

damn songs are growing on me

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 02:17:53 pm »
My review of Come Undone has changed slightly. It's really growing on me.

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 02:23:40 pm »

I love spring street too! its just so good!!!

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 02:28:46 pm »
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"

it just might be the best song she has ever written

Boy of Summer

• AOL Instant Messenger - thenolitafairyta
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 02:37:58 pm »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"

it just might be the best song she has ever written

not a chance

"home" is