Author Topic: Regina Spektor  (Read 61905 times)

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2007, 07:25:04 pm »
i just got tickets to the Ny show!!! yESSS

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2007, 08:16:11 pm »
ever heard of her song FOLDING CHAIR, it's pure genius!

Bar

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2007, 01:34:38 pm »
Regina is really good.
I can't believe she was in Israel and I didn't know her yet and missed it!
fools never ask,afraid what lurks in your mind

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2007, 12:19:53 pm »
New Regina News! Her new video for "Better" is also in the Top 20 countdown... so I've been voting 1. Nf then 2. Better! haha anyways, it's a really cool video. Very Reginaesque. You'll think it's very weird at first but it's so amazingly artistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zA4oG4FJFY

Cheburashka

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2007, 07:21:10 pm »
She is definitely the most kick ass singer-song writer the world has ever known [besides V and that goes without saying because I am a member of this forum, aren't I ;)] She is very strange, though, and has a lot of singing quirks which throws a lot of people off, but she's a complete freaking genius and you should give all of her music [not just songs from her newest album "Begin to Hope" {ex: Fidelity, On the Radio, Better} for then you would all be dubbed "Begin to Hope"-ers] a good listen.

recommended listens from 1st album ["11:11" {Self released}]
Marry Ann
Buildings
Love Affair
2nd album ["Songs" {Self released}]
Samson
Prisoners
Consequence of Sounds
3rd album ["Soviet Kitsch" {major label}]
Us
The Flowers
Ode to Divorce
the world is ever-lasting;
it's coming and it's going

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2007, 08:43:08 pm »
dude you totally failed to mention Oedipus! You haven't lived if you haven't heard that song.

Cheburashka

• View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2007, 11:44:56 am »
Well, of course I've heard Oedipus! I have know all of her sons (all 130-something of them lol!) The ones I mentioned are the ones I think will first reel everyone in :)

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2007, 03:44:54 pm »
Quote from: "Cheburashka"
Well, of course I've heard Oedipus! I have know all of her sons (all 130-something of them lol!) The ones I mentioned are the ones I think will first reel everyone in :)

130? wow. what I would give for a 130 vanessa songs!!

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2007, 07:20:38 am »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"

130? wow. what I would give for a 130 vanessa songs!!

Regina's songs are all extremely simple, that's why there's so many of them. lol Vanessa's are a bit more complex in terms of arrangement.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

Cheburashka

• View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2007, 05:17:53 pm »
Regina's songs are all extremely simple, that's why there's so many of them. lol Vanessa's are a bit more complex in terms of arrangement.

Um, no? There are so many of them because she can write songs about anything, not just ones about things that happen in her life. In fact, almost none of her songs are autobiographical.
And Vanessa's songs are in no way more complex. I can play almost all of V's stuff and all Reg songs (that are available. It's hard to transcribe 130 songs lol!). Their writing styles are very similar, their influences are similar. Both have been playing classical piano for... forever basically, and draw a lot of playing style from Bach and Mozart in particular (I can hear that too). They're both even Russian-Jews (and wouldn't you know it, so am I)! If anything, to be honest, Reg's music may be a little more developed than Vanessa's, or more experimental at least. V's done her experiments (of course! She comes up with some weirdness ;)) but... I dunno; Reg seems more outgoing in her lyric writing and singing [have you heard those sounds!]
As for arrangment, what do you mean? There are two verses a chorus and a bridge. It's not really complex for any musician, and most contemporary songs repeat (as well as V's) so, I don't really understand what you mean there.
I may seem like I'm offended... and maybe I am lol! I've been a die hard Spektor fan since 2001 (I was an awesome 6th grader!), and got into V around 2004, so Reg is like my baby *cuddles Soviet Kitsch*

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2007, 06:45:17 pm »

Um, no? There are so many of them because she can write songs about anything, not just ones about things that happen in her life. In fact, almost none of her songs are autobiographical.
And Vanessa's songs are in no way more complex. I can play almost all of V's stuff and all Reg songs (that are available. It's hard to transcribe 130 songs lol!). Their writing styles are very similar, their influences are similar. Both have been playing classical piano for... forever basically, and draw a lot of playing style from Bach and Mozart in particular (I can hear that too). They're both even Russian-Jews (and wouldn't you know it, so am I)! If anything, to be honest, Reg's music may be a little more developed than Vanessa's, or more experimental at least. V's done her experiments (of course! She comes up with some weirdness ;)) but... I dunno; Reg seems more outgoing in her lyric writing and singing [have you heard those sounds!]
As for arrangment, what do you mean? There are two verses a chorus and a bridge. It's not really complex for any musician, and most contemporary songs repeat (as well as V's) so, I don't really understand what you mean there.
I may seem like I'm offended... and maybe I am lol! I've been a die hard Spektor fan since 2001 (I was an awesome 6th grader!), and got into V around 2004, so Reg is like my baby *cuddles Soviet Kitsch*

Uh... way to go off on a rant and argue points that wasn't even brought up in what I said. Jesus christ.

Um, yes, Regina has a shit load of songs, and they have to be simple in order for her to remember how to play them.

And are you serious? Their writing styles are not similar at all. Regina is much more alternative - she uses her voice completely differently and messes around with it a lot, and her style with the piano is much more percussive.

Where as Vanessa is more straight up pop, and can actually sing through a song without feeling the need to play around with her goddamn voice all the time.

Why are you even bringing up the non-autobiographical aspect of Regina's songs, I wasn't even talking about the subjects of her writing.

And jesus christ, arrangement as in what they're actually playing on the piano, I wasn't talking about verses, or choruses or song formulas. I think I know how songs are written jack ass.  :?

In conclusion, you're stupid. Piss off. I've been playing the piano for 13 years (I wrote 12 before and I just turned 21, so it's 13 now, I keep forgetting, heh) and study at a music school, and also have the ability to recognize simple writing when I see it.  :roll:

Also, I don't care how long you've been a fan of Regina's, that's the most retarded thing to brag about for any fan of a musician.

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2007, 07:02:51 pm »
I'm about to leave to go see her tonight!  I'll be seeing her tomorrow as well.  TEEHEE!

YAY!

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2007, 07:05:46 pm »
Quote from: "nicole"
I'm about to leave to go see her tonight!  I'll be seeing her tomorrow as well.  TEEHEE!

YAY!

That's cool, I saw her when she opened up for the Dresden Dolls 3 or 4 years ago, I forget, and that's how I got into her. It was a good show. Haven't seen her since - lol, I hear bad things about her shows now after Begin to Hope was released because of all the people that end up going.

At her last show in Cleveland a couple of guys stormed the stage while she was playing and she got really freaked and could barely finish her encore. :?

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2007, 10:05:05 pm »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"

Um, yes, Regina has a shit load of songs, and they have to be simple in order for her to remember how to play them.

That seems really funny to me. I suppose it's true. But don't you think if you wrote a complex song you would likely still remember it because of all the mental energy you put into it? And sometimes all I need to remember is the beginning of a piano song and it's like my hands know the rest.

but oh yea I just remember reading a regina quote where she said she's actually written tons more songs than she has recorded, but it's just been too many for her to remember. wow i guess that settles that

and I agree, Regina's piano is simple percussion most of the time and vanessa incorporates many many more classical elements. There are maybe 3 regina songs that show off any advanced piano at all. When I was first listening to her I assumed she was self taught.

Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"

I've been playing the piano for 13 years (I wrote 12 before and I just turned 21, so it's 13 now, I keep forgetting, heh) and study at a music school, and also have the ability to recognize simple writing when I see it.  

I've been playing for 13 too~ stopped taking lessons a few years ago and have been writing since. You probably know a hell of a lot more about music than I do, at least in some respects.  I have a few of my songs uploaded... I would love to get some critique, if you're down for it?

Cheburashka

• View Profile
Regina Spektor
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
What? I wasn't ranting, I just got defensive

And their writing styles are similar. Maybe not their newer stuff but their older songs, yes. Where the left hand will play the melody and the right hand just keeps it going by playing the same notes... does that make any sense? lol

and the way the hands "talk" to each other, playing the same notes with both hands at different times and it sounds like the keys are echoing. Just little things like that. I'm not saying, right off the bat listening to the songs you can hear similarities it takes a few times to pick it up I guess

So yeah, way to yell at me [I wasn't angry, so why are you?]