Author Topic: Vegan or Vegetarian?  (Read 16281 times)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 06:21:53 am »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
A lot of vegetarian products are infused with B12, like the Koshi cereal I have every morning. But I understand what you're saying, I had the same concern when I started to read about becoming vegetarian. Most experts just suggest eating B12 infused foods, and if you're still not getting enough, then taking a B12 supplement during the winter.

Also, since I juuuust started, I'm not really strict. For example, if I'm eating pasta with friends and they have a meatball in a pan of sauce, I'll still eat the sauce and just skip the meatball - a lot of vegetarians won't do that, they'll just go without the sauce altogether.  So, I'm still getting some meat proteins, which I think is fine - if your body goes too long without something eventually it will forget how to process it. A lot of strict vegetarians get sick if they somehow accidently eat a meat product after so many years of going without because their body has forgotten how to process and break down meat proteins. One of my friends got really violently ill when he ordered something off the grill at our dining hall, just because what he orderd was cooked on the same grill that a hamburger was being cooked on.

Anyone who gets ill from a little beef fat is unhealthy.  That's not a joke... even a strict vegetarian should not get ill from eating meat again.

That's a sign of digestive problems.

Also, be careful with suplements.  Studies are pretty iffy on wheather injesting suplments or suplemented foods actually does you any good.  Now, they still tell you to keep taking vitamins anyways, but there is no evidence that you can get vitamins that way.  Some doctors think you can only injest them in their natural state.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 06:42:25 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
A small factor in my reasoning for becoming a vegetarian has to do with health, but it mostly has to do with how I feel about factory farming and the serious impact it has on the environment, not to mention the inhumane treatment towards animals. After reading a few (completely non-biased I might add) books on factory farming, I really just can't look at a slice of ham and not think about the awful treatment that pig went through just so I can eat it, when I can easily make a meal without it. And then I think about the impact that the factory it came from has had on the environment, and I really just lose any craving for meat whatsoever :-P I think the only thing I miss is the convenience of it - like when I'm at restaurants or something.

Well, there are plenty of non-factory farmed meat options.  You can get lots of free range meats at places like Whole Foots and Wild Oats.  Now, I realize even Free Range doesn't mean what it used to, but it's a huge step up from the factory farms.

Quote from: "JL"
I also know exactly what you're talking about with soy - I'm not saying that I add it in to every single thing that I eat. But many people, when they find out someone is vegetarian, immediately try and make vegetarians look dumb by saying "and where do you get your protein? where do you get your nutrients?" without realizing that those proteins and nutrients can be attained through soy products.

Right.  but beause that is such a default answer for vegetarians, they over rely on Soy.  Which is bad times for you in the long run.

Eat lots of nuts, whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, dark green leafy veggies (buy fresh and try steaming instead of boiling whenver possible, cause most of the good stuff is water soluble and leaks out when you cook it).

But yeah, you don't need meat.  I tried doing the vegetarian thing for about 4 months last summer, just to see what it was like.  I knew it would be short term, but I wanted to experience it and see what it was like.

It def wasn't for me, but I learned a LOT in the process.

Most of the food I eat I prepare myself. I buy a lot of fresh produce and mix it with other foods. For example, I have boxed dry mixes for veggie burgers and mock taco-fillings, but I only eat a small-regular portion of them and have fruits, veggies, and beans for the bulk of my meals.

Good girl ^_^

Plus, learning to cook is always a valuable skill.

If you ever get into gardening or want to try it (after college, obv) let me know.  I actually grow about half of what I eat during the summer and I can a ton of stuff for winter too.

I also buy about 75% of my groceries from the organic section. Being a poor college student it gets kind of difficult, but I do as much as I can afford.

Yeah.  That's understandable.  Even *I* don't buy organic in some things because of the cost.  Like, organic milk is clearly better, but it's more than twice the price for the same amount and I have a hard time justifying the cost difference especially when the conventional is local.

And in some cases the organic version is actually worse... like, all of the organic apple juices I find are made from concentrate and rehydrated with organic cane sugar.  I buy fresh press conventional instead, because less processing is more important to me than organic.

It's a weird balance.  But if you're intersted, there is a great newsleter I get (http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/index.cfm) that does a really good job of helping you figure out what is in what foods and boxed food items.  It kinda tells you which brands are full of GMO's and who likes to hide unhealthy things and play games with labels.  It's also really good about keeping you informed on what is going on in government regarding food safety issues.

It's not nutty left-wing liberal, either.  It's pretty balanced.

edit: I didn't want this to sound preachy, but I had a friend who was a vegan in college and he ended up in the hospital for malnutrition because his heart was int he rigtht place but he didn't educate himself first.  He just jumped into a bad idea.

I'm definitely going to check out that newsletter. I did research before making the decision to be vegetarian, but like you said a lot of food that claims to be healthy really isn't - you really have to research each company you buy from - I find myself reading the nutrition labels even more carefully than I did before I was vegetarian. It's very easy to eat a lot of "empty calories" which I don't want to do.

I get what you're saying about non-factory farmed meat, but where I live in upstate NY, there aren't any specialty-food stores close enough that I could buy from. The closest we have is Wegmans, which is a chain grocery store but has a decent organic section. I never ate that much meat to begin with, so I don't really miss it at all.

And I eat plenty of nuts and whole wheats - I actually have a small container of unsalted almonds that I bring with me everywhere for when I get a little hungry. Everyone laughs at me but it's a good way to get good nutrients and it keeps me from eating potatoe chips all the time. And I'm obsessed with whole-wheat pasta. One of my friends introduced me to it last year and I've never gone back to regular pasta. Even my mother, a full blooded Italian swears by it :-P.

For the gardening thing - you're talking to a country girl, I've been gardening since I can remember :-P On of my jobs when I was a kid was to pick the tomatoes and shell the peas.  This year my roomate and I are in an apartment and are going to try growing our own herbs.

I understand what you're saying about your friend. I definitely do not want to become vegan without doing a lot of research first. I figured I would do the vegetarian thing for a year, and then if I wanted to try a vegan diet. You can be a vegan and be completely healthy, but you have to know exactly what you're doing and know exactly what foods to eat every day. I would never do it without becoming well educated on it.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2007, 07:03:43 am »
For the gardening thing - you're talking to a country girl, I've been gardening since I can remember :-P On of my jobs when I was a kid was to pick the tomatoes and shell the peas.  This year my roomate and I are in an apartment and are going to try growing our own herbs.

Sometimes I forget how rural upstate NY is.  I think NY and I think NYC and Buffalo.

A windowsill or deck herb garden should be easy enough to do in an apartment.  I bring my Rosemary inside every fall and put it back out during the summer and it does great.  Everything else I just freeze and dry.

I keep saying that my next house is going to have a grow room in it.  Just a big room that faces south and is full of windows.  I have two small tea plants and 2 small coffee plants and I desperatly want to try growing cirtus someday.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2007, 07:20:29 am »

Sometimes I forget how rural upstate NY is.  I think NY and I think NYC and Buffalo.

A windowsill or deck herb garden should be easy enough to do in an apartment.  I bring my Rosemary inside every fall and put it back out during the summer and it does great.  Everything else I just freeze and dry.

I keep saying that my next house is going to have a grow room in it.  Just a big room that faces south and is full of windows.  I have two small tea plants and 2 small coffee plants and I desperatly want to try growing cirtus someday.

I think it's hilarious that you compare Buffalo to NYC....they are nothing alike :-P But yeah, except for NYC really, the rest of NY is farm country. It's the second largest dairy state in the country.

I definitely miss gardening while at school - that's one thing about the country that I really love. This summer my parents didn't have time to do our big garden, and when I went home last weekend it looked so empty and sad. Food you grow yourself just tastes better.

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2007, 07:37:01 am »

I think it's hilarious that you compare Buffalo to NYC....they are nothing alike :-P But yeah, except for NYC really, the rest of NY is farm country. It's the second largest dairy state in the country.

I definitely miss gardening while at school - that's one thing about the country that I really love. This summer my parents didn't have time to do our big garden, and when I went home last weekend it looked so empty and sad. Food you grow yourself just tastes better.

LOLOLOL.  When i htink of New York I definately don't think Buffalo.  And I used to live there.

Good for you sis, you're a much better vegitarian than I ever was.  Man that week was tough.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2007, 08:22:03 am »

I did not mean that I think those two are similar... I meant that those are the kinds of places I think of when I think of NYC.  I do not think of Farm land.  When it hink of Farmland, I think of Iowa, Indiana and Northern OH.  And west, obv.

---Andrew

Heysexy

• **BANNED**
  • You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 03:07:54 pm »
I've been a vegetarian since I was 12 or 13. I love it

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 05:56:07 pm »
Quote from: "Heysexy"
I've been a vegetarian since I was 12 or 13. I love it

Can you tell us about your diet?  If you don't want to feel like you are being grilled (no pun intended) you vegetarians can PM me.  I'm very interested in vegetarian diets and what people do and have learned from them, even if I will never be one.  Otherwise just post it here so we can check out different diets and such.  Other vegetarians might learn something from what you have to say.

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2007, 11:37:14 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
Hey Jessica, can you tell us what a vegetarian diet in your family was like?  I'm very curious.  Did you guys have certain concerns or ideas on how you would receive the nutrition you needed?  And how did you get around those.  Not that you were really really worried, I'm just wondering what the make up of the diet was.  Even for people who eat meat the information could be useful and interesting.  There are probably variations from vegetarian to vegetarian, so the more perspective we can get the better.

it wasn't strictly vegetarian, we still some meat such as chicken, but we mostly tried to make foods that we all could eat... and over time we just ate less and less meat. theres lots of meals you can make without meat... eggplant parmesan is delicious, fresh buffalo mozarella salads with basil leaves, olive oil and tomatoes, spinach quiche, asian style stir fry tofu, vegetable sushi & tempura, bean tostadas, cheese and onion empanadas, grilled vegetable sandwiches, theres tons of options!

i've heard soy isn't all that great for you. there are some pros and cons but studies show that certain amounts of soy in your diet can lead to some types of health issues. milk grosses me out (its not even good for you), or the taste of soy milk, but i dont like eating cereal dry so i usually go for rice milk.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven