Author Topic: Haha Brits!  (Read 7493 times)

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Haha Brits!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 03:10:02 am »
I say couldn't because THATS WHAT MAKES SENSE. Again, Todd shows us he is thick as a plank.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Zebrakorn

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Haha Brits!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 03:19:35 am »
A thick plank?

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Haha Brits!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 03:34:00 am »
Quote from: "Zebrakorn"
A thick plank?

two planks is the expression.

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Zebrakorn

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Haha Brits!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 05:38:07 am »
Quote from: "Scotty"
A thick plank?

Wow. That's even thicker than ONE plank!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Re: Haha Brits!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 06:51:44 am »
Quote from: "kev222"
Quote from: "Katia's Lover"
Simply because Americans could care less.

Why do people say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less"?

If you *could* care less about something, then that means that you care about it at least more than the minimum. And it doesn't rule out that you care about it a lot.

I doesn't annoy me, I've just never understood it.

2nded.  Except it does annoy me.

Also @ Todd - It's a fair point.  Because if you actually research it, a fairly healthy portion of "foreign" tennis players actually learned to play here in the states in some of the big training facilities.  Which, do exist here, BTW.

For example, Sharapova.

Edit for re-emphasis: Men's tennis sucks.  Also, the women I cheer for are all foreign.  In fact, some of the most popular Tennis stars in the US are foreign.  American's honestly dont' do the whole nationalism thing the way europe does.  We will happily cheer for another countries athletes.

I know a lot of people who cheered for Argentina in basketball when the beat the US, simply because they loved Manu.

I know plenty of people who cheer for Beckham.

Many NBA and MLB players are foreign these days, and still wildly popular here.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Haha Brits!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 07:19:49 am »
Graks, thats just American opportunism. They want to be on the side of someone who wins. Obviously you're going to opt to support Beckham over some rubbish American football player.

Every year we watch Tim Henman be thrashed somewhere around the quarter finals and every year we think he's going to win. Every World Cup or European Championship we still get in a massive flurry of excitement and think we're going to win and its always somehow the 'ref's fault'. Still can't decide if we're patriotic or just idiots. Probably both.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
Haha Brits!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 07:46:31 am »
Sheesh people.  It was an attempt at satire and to piss of the Brits.  I took it.  Evidently my plan worked--because there are about 20 replies now. Do you actually think I give a damn about tennis when baseball is in full swing?  Ha!  Give me a break.  

"I couldn't care less."  I was just being an asshole.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Re: Haha Brits!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 08:00:55 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Many NBA and MLB players are foreign these days, and still wildly popular here.

Very true, especially the MLB which is like 50% Dominicans, or so it seems sometimes  :lol:.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Haha Brits!
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2005, 08:24:51 am »
Quote from: "Scotty"
A thick plank?

Wow. That's even thicker than ONE plank!

it depends on the thickness of the plank....B&Q standard is 12cm

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Haha Brits!
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 10:47:03 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Graks, thats just American opportunism. They want to be on the side of someone who wins. Obviously you're going to opt to support Beckham over some rubbish American football player.

I don't think so.  I mean, we have american clubs here.  And they don't compete internationally.... so you could cheer for the best American players and not have them be losers.

I think it's because we cheer for personalities and stories more than we cheer for nationalities.

Forumla 1 racing is full of foreign drivers and we cheer for them.  The NHL is full of foreign players and we cheer for them.

Again, I tell you, it's because Amercan's trace their roots back several generations to other countries, and our country is full of people from other countries.  We have mixed races and nationalities.  We don't have a close nit group the way many other nations do.

We even identify ourselves with our states as much as our countries.

It's not the same culture.  We really don't care as much about where a person is from as foreign countries do.  We just care that they are talented and entertaining.

Hell, look at how much hollywood loves foreign actors and actresses.  Ian McKellan, Ewan McGregor, Mel Gibson, Russel Crowe, Emma Thompson, Penelope Cruz, etc etc.

Edit: Also, there are several foreign players on the Clippers, and I cheer for them.  And Clippers sure as fuck don't win much.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Haha Brits!
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 11:46:06 am »
Forumla 1 racing is full of foreign drivers and we cheer for them.

All 6 of them ;-)

Edit: Also, there are several foreign players on the Clippers, and I cheer for them. And Clippers sure as fuck don't win much.

I cheer for foreign football players too if they're playing for my club (Leicester City). But in an international tournament, it's bitter hatred all the way.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Haha Brits!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 12:37:43 pm »
I cheer for foreign football players too if they're playing for my club (Leicester City). But in an international tournament, it's bitter hatred all the way.

I think that's reasonably true..... but Amercan sports aren't internationally based the way European sports are.

In fact, we barely notice the international games.  International basketball gets far less attention here than the NBA.  And people don't particularly care that some NBA, MLB and NHL teams are Canadian.

I mean... you'll see a few people get excited about soccer.... but most people here don't even know the world cup is happening.

People here are more interested in CITY vs CITY than COUNTRY vs COUNTRY.

Hell, the Olympics here gets half as much attention as the Super Bowl.

---Andrew

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
Haha Brits!
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 02:11:26 pm »
Forumla 1 racing is full of foreign drivers and we cheer for them.

All 6 of them ;-)

Post of the day.  Seriously, how come everytime Formula 1 racing comes to the states they trip over themselves repeatedly?  

And I disagree that Americans cheer for F1 racers.  We don't.  No one cares about F1 racing here.  It barely got a mention on ESPN (America's sports programming network), except for the whole Michelen tire fiasco.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Haha Brits!
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2005, 02:41:33 pm »
Quote from: "Katia's Lover"
And I disagree that Americans cheer for F1 racers.  We don't.  No one cares about F1 racing here.

And rightly so. It's crap (unless you happen to be interested in a lot of technical details about downforce, track temperature, tyre compound, etc.)

A lot of people in europe think F1 is dull (which, funnily enough, is why they introduced the limit on the number of tyre types that could be taken to a race, which was part of the problem last weekend). If people over this side of the Atlantic think it's boring, then American's have no chance. Your sports are all about in your face excitement, crashing into a wall at 200mph, smashing a backboard with a reverse slam dunk, smashing an oppents teeth out with a hockey stick, smashing into each other at neck height in full body armour, and the like.

Jophess

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
Haha Brits!
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2005, 02:44:17 pm »
I can't believe I missed this topic.

Yeah, I could physically feel the British anger and upset-ness from over the seas right after he lost. I liked ballboying for the women better (maybe because, while at baseline, watching them in their position to return the serve is delightful :twisted: )

Russia dominates the Women's Top 10. 5/10! 8/20, too.

Grakky, you like Hantuchova?

Nagyova lost in the first qualifying round to Kurhajcova, a fellow Slovak. She's only 138th in the world. :( Ehh, in the WHOLE world, though, that's pretty good.
Joe