Author Topic: Huge compliment to Vanessa!!!  (Read 3084 times)

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Huge compliment to Vanessa!!!
« on: September 20, 2003, 04:07:26 am »
So I bought Instyle magazine ... September issue ...
There was an article in it about Vanessa Carlton and Michelle Branch ... and their respective inspirations and yeah ... just read damn it! :-) LOL

Title ...
You're the inspiration
For each of the six young musicians on our pages, there's a fellow artist who strikes a chord. Here, they get a chance to sing their idol's praises (and hear a little feedback)

List of ppl
(1)Fan: Shirly Manson (Zena: you know! Lead singer of Garbage???)
Idol: Deborah Harry
(2)Fan: Norah Jones
Idol: Etta james ...
(3)Fan: Michelle Branch
Idol: Stevie nicks
(4)Alison Krauss ... (Zena: who???)
Idol: Dolly Parton ...
(Zena: it's so sad how I know the idol and not the fan ...
sigh ... first sign of aging ... losing touch with the "fan" and being able to sing at least 3 songs from the "idol" :-) LOL
(5)Vanessa Carlton
Idol: Carol King
(6)Fan: Kelly Rowland
Idol:Patti LaBelle

Article ...
The Fan:
Singer songwriter Vanessa Carlton (VC), whose 2002 debut CD BNNB, earned Grammy nominations for both song and record of the year; she is currently recording a follow-up. (Zena: We knew thtat already though so ner :-))

The idol:
Carole King, whose Tapesty sold more than 25 million (Zena: OH MY SHIT!!! 25 million!!! That was obviously before we could get music off the net free ;-)) ) copies and who recently re-released "Love Makes the World" on her own label, Rockingale reconrds.

Carlton on King
"My mother used to listen to Tapestry from beginning to end. The song that struck me was "Natural Woman", and I knew every word. When I sang along to it, I would do this sexy dance. I just felt so empowered. And I was nine! (Zena: how does/did she know it's sexy ... wait a better question is ... how did she know about sexy at that age O_o ...) Carole's music has the power to do that. The thing about her that is so exciting is that she has always gone with her own instincts, and that inspires me the follow mine and create my own path."

King on Carlton
(Zena: This is the compliment bit I was talking about)
"When I was the age of this generation's crop of singer songwriters, I didn't even know that I was a singer-songwriter. I just did what I did. And the fact that it's being carried forward by talented people as Vanessa is very satisfying. Her music is free, it's exciting, and it has a big emotional range. She's not copying something else, she's influienced by many different things and prople, I turn out to be one of them, but she's an original."

so there :-)
That's a big compliment.
I really like Carole King, like Vanessa's mum, my mum has all CK's albums ,including Tapestry which she used to play every single Saturday while doing the housework.

But I've always loved Fleetwood Mac. Yes such is sad I know, but it's something about Stevie Nick's voice. I love their song Seven Wonders.
So heres what Nicks says about Michelle.
(come on ... you know I love Michelle)

The fan:
Singer songwroter Michelle Branch, a grammy winner for her collaboration with Santana. Her 2nd CD Hotel Paper was released in July.
The idol:
Stevie Nicks, whose combined album sales from Fleetwood Mac and solo projects total more than 60 million ... Zena: 8O  8O  8O SSSSSSSHIIITTT!!!) (the groups latest album Say You Will, was released in April)
Branch on Nicks
"I grew up listening to my mom's (Zena ... that's MUM in Australia!!!)Fleetwood mac's records. I remember hearing Stevies voice on Rhiannon for the first time. It just sucks you in. She was my favourite part - in front of the whole band, carrying it with her voice and songs as a female, as a writer, as a musician. I'm from arizona and she's from Arizona, and as i got older, it was kind of like, "Wow, someone actually made it out of Arizona and did this?" I admire her for being strong and living thru' it ...(Zena: Thru' what exactly? What does "it" mean???) She's a rock chick, one of the girls you're always jealous of because sh'es hanging out with the guys ... a living
Nicks on Branch.
"Michelle's got a funky thing going on. I can see she want's to be kind of what I wanted to be like: able to kick butt in order to have ppl take me seriously (Zena: talk about delusions of grandeur.... O_o). I didn't want to be too beautiful (Zena: Good job LMAO! :-) :lol: It's not true, but comeone I had to say it :-)). As far as being a music maven goes, I'm still doing this, and I want her to see that the road is unending if you get into your craft and fight for it. It's alot about your attitute - your attitude to not give up.

Good stuff.
Thanks.

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

LifelessPie

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RoxyTatyy+22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 08:19:54 am »
great article thanks muchh
"How you gon' say, that I remind you, a yo jeep?!"

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 07:37:51 am »
awesome, thanks for sharin
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 10:59:46 am »
thanks for sharing! thats so cool!
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 06:11:27 am »
That's great Zee. Thanks.

Alison Krauss sings with a band called Union Station. They're really rather good, if you like that sort of thing.

http://www.alisonkrauss.com

-Kev

Blake

• **BANNED**
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 09:57:40 am »
Ohhhh!

Cool!

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

LimeTwister

Re: Huge compliment to Vanessa!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 11:28:12 am »
Quote from: "happyzen"

(4)Alison Krauss ... (Zena: who???)
Idol: Dolly Parton ...
(Zena: it's so sad how I know the idol and not the fan ...
sigh ... first sign of aging ... losing touch with the "fan" and being able to sing at least 3 songs from the "idol" :-) LOL.

alison is great! she is a bluegrass singer and she rocks (bluegrass is like traditional american music or "mountain music"...) but she has the most amazing voice!

Alecs

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
ummm
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 06:09:57 am »
interesting thanks for sharing...
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 04:09:01 pm »
nnnnnnnnnnnooott a problem!
It was my first Nessa sharing!
Truth be told, I was notified of this article by a non-nessa fan who buys the mag, and assume i'd seen the article. I suck! :-)

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

VanessaLover03

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GodMustHateMe003
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 05:08:13 pm »
sweet article!  Always good to here the compliments she gets...
A Very Proud NESSAholic and NESSAjedi PadVan,
Alex

NESSAholics forever!!!!

Mountaineer

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - guitragirl6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jumpergirl3eb
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jumpergirl3eb
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/beepr
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 07:56:47 am »