Author Topic: Vegan or Vegetarian?  (Read 16218 times)

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:55:02 am »
Well being Vegan is a complete plant based diet and Vegetarian isn't its more of just no red meat, chicken, fish. Are there any Vegans out there? I'm heading to the bookstore in a few minutes to see what I can find, I'm not going to eat red meat, chicken, or fish anymore. But I'm not fond of the taste of soy. so that interferes with me being vegan. anyway, I need some help! recipe books, books in general about the lifestyle of both, and personal experiences.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 10:26:36 am »
I'm not a vegetarian or vegan but try other legumes.  They are good for alot of low quality bulk protein.  Lentils, even though they have a lower BV  are extremely easy to cook and can be made within 10 minutes without the need for soaking.  Where as in other beans and legumes you have to soak them over night (the refrigerator is best for that I've found to prevent fermentation and consequently abdominal "gas" bloating.  Then you could add soy protein isolate to your diet to make up for any protein deficiency you believe you are missing from soy.

nat

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - nasty_candido@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/natalinha
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:19:39 pm »
well, i´m trying to be vegan since i was 13, it´s so difficult because i live with people who loves eat meat. but i have a normal life, vegan can have a normal and healthy life. there is many theories against and many favorable, you can choose yourtruth and live it. i chose mine.

Manda

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 03:18:37 pm »
Its been okay so far, I'm only on my second day being a vegetarian. I've started reading some books and resources online as well. But there is no real challenge for me right now, i'm always on the go now I hardly have time to eat. But when I do I crave meat, and I'm glad I'm changing that. My parents support me and my sister is determined to go through with this with me, so I'm not alone.  :wink: Are there any favorite recipes you could share?

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

tylor2000

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:42:22 am »
Do a google search on "Indian recipes" and go from there.  They are notorious for vegetarian recipes.  Although I'm not sure how healthy in terms  of protein content they are one source to check.  You'll find lots there.  If you like spicy food, including spicy hot you'll love them.  Stock up on you coriander, cumin, and cardamom spices.  You'll need them as well as alot of other traditional indian spices.  Also pre-mixed curry powder is good for quick meals for things like curry lentils on rice.  You can also mix your own curry powder so it doesn't always have the same exact taste every time.  I used to  but the exact proportions escape me at the moment of the spices needed.  LOTS of coriander for sure.

Curried Lentils on Rice

Cook rice.  While rice is cooking add curry powder into pot with water and add lentils.  Boil untill lentils are tender.  Take rice and spoon onto plate. Top with curried lentils and enjoy.  Those are the basic directions.  It doesn't take very much experimentation to figure out how much water, curry powder, and lentils to add to pot.  Just use common sense and you own sense of taste to know how much of each to add.  Lentils expand alot so you need enough water to take into account that expansion.....just like rice or beans do.  The ingredients are really really cheap especially if you know where to buy bulk curry powder and spices.  Good luck!

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:10:05 pm »
Im curious what your reasons are for changing your current lifestyle so that i may possibly mock/refute them.  Inform please.
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Manda

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:29:22 pm »
oh god pete...well I want to lose weight, fast. and I'm kind of sick of eating meat. oh, and I've never liked any type of fish/seafood, and I've never been big on chicken. I'll eat it if it happens to be on my plate but I don't enjoy it. I only like red meat.

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 03:54:06 pm »
Quote from: "Manda"
oh god pete...well I want to lose weight, fast. and I'm kind of sick of eating meat. oh, and I've never liked any type of fish/seafood, and I've never been big on chicken. I'll eat it if it happens to be on my plate but I don't enjoy it. I only like red meat.

Wasn't expecting that reason, usually people say something about animal cruelty and such. But good for you! Hope it works.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 05:33:35 pm »
Quote from: "Manda"

You saying seafood alone decreases my appetite i dislike it so much.

Though you have been alive quite some time and sustaining a particular diet that your digestive system is accustomed to.  I know you are not a large person, and im not saying it to be nice.  If you prefer to lose some weight i would cut down on breads and if you drink sodas definitely switch to water.  

Red meat is delicious.   How can you give up things like tacos and hamburgers?!?
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

tylor2000

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »
Definantly sugars since any excess of blood sugar get's converted to fat.  You don't really want to lose muscle mass since it lowers your metabolism and then you are more likely to gain weight.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 05:51:46 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
Definantly sugars since any excess of blood sugar get's converted to fat.  You don't really want to lose muscle mass since it lowers your metabolism and then you are more likely to gain weight.

Protein is good for that.  We have been getting it from meat for thousands of years.   Our species existance proves the viability of a diverse diet.

tylor2000

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 05:58:46 pm »
Quote from: "Logikal X"

Protein is good for that.  We have been getting it from meat for thousands of years.   Our species existance proves the viability of a diverse diet.

The problem is if you lower your complex carbohydrates too much and just eat protein it puts stain on your system to convert all that protein to energy.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 06:01:55 pm »
Quote from: "Logikal X"

The problem is if you lower your complex carbohydrates too much and just eat protein it puts stain on your system to convert all that protein to energy.

I said diversity!  I wouldnt suggest liviing off purely meat =P

Manda

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 06:26:12 pm »
I cut out soda a few months ago, also burgers, and I don't like mexican food. I do like italian food though, very much.  I'm a VERY picky eater. I love vegetables (not squash/zucchini), love fruit, not big on sweets but do have some now and then, I like ice cream, I never get sick of potatoes (cooked any way), hate fish bleh ick ew  :? , chicken tastes like crap (cooked any way)...and I do go to the gym regularly. I want that summer bod. I'm definitely going to miss beef jerky. that stuff is the shit. I think I may have one meat day a week, but I'm not sure yet.

tylor2000

• View Profile
Vegan or Vegetarian?
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 06:31:23 pm »
You changed your post on me at the last minute.  The proof of what kind of diet we should be eating is in the structure of our digestive systems.