Author Topic: Nolita Fairytale-First single??  (Read 177783 times)

ordinaryday6

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ordinaryday6
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale-First single??
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2007, 01:42:01 pm »
to tell the truth, as much as i wish the song would grow on me everytime i listen, the opposite seems to be happening..
Samuel
(he/him)

initially_yours

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • My official site
« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2007, 03:42:15 pm »
Quote from: "ordinaryday6"
to tell the truth, as much as i wish the song would grow on me everytime i listen, the opposite seems to be happening..

I think I know what you mean.   I want to like this song, i really do, but I listened to the full thing and it just... didnt jive.  I can understand what shes saying but some of the words seem like theyre placed awkwardly in the song, and it comes off as somewhat amateur, which I KNOW Vanessa isnt.  I can see why she wanted to release this song as a single, but shes done wayyyy better, in my opinion.  

Also, my keyboard is acting weird and different keys are typing weird things... like the apostrophe key is typing èèèè  and the backslash key is éééé  .  This is probably the wrong place to ask, but... what the hell is wrongÉÉÉ (question mark key right there)
Musician, filmmaker, writer: http://www.theaaronchan.com

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2007, 03:51:55 pm »
Quote from: "HarmySandwhich"
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"
Wait....I am confused...Vanessa and Stephan (spelled wrong mabey..) broke up or just like producing wise?

They broke up a while ago, apparently and since the album is still in the making I was just deliberating whether that would have had an effect on the production of the album at all.

Nah, they broke up after the album was finished. Even if she wanted to take his shit off there, she couldn't have. It's too late. I'm sure they're still friends though. ;)

And thanks - so it was Stephen and Irv that did it? Cool.

Pyro

• AOL Instant Messenger - dead+am+pyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2007, 04:01:59 pm »
Hi, everyone! It's so great to have a new Vanessa song! I like it. I was a little surprised how personal and factual it was because not everyone's going to be familiar with what the lyrics mean. I'm really hoping this single does well for V, though. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get her new album in the Spring like we originally thought, but we Nessaholics are patient. I can certainly wait a few more months. I'm still so excited, though! I love her so much! I always have!

HarmySandwhich

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2007, 04:06:51 pm »
Quote from: "Pyro"
Hi, everyone! It's so great to have a new Vanessa song! I like it. I was a little surprised how personal and factual it was because not everyone's going to be familiar with what the lyrics mean. I'm really hoping this single does well for V, though. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get her new album in the Spring like we originally thought, but we Nessaholics are patient. I can certainly wait a few more months. I'm still so excited, though! I love her so much! I always have!

:lol:

I'm not sure about that statement but I know for sure we'll all wait, no matter how long, until it comes out.

Formerly known as Meraphix

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2007, 04:08:31 pm »
My guess is that vanessa will do a lot of radio promotion. that way the DJs can ask her about the lyrics from the song.. about stevie, about the record label. Then she can play the song and people will understand.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2007, 06:12:21 pm »
Quote from: "initially_yours"
Also, my keyboard is acting weird and different keys are typing weird things... like the apostrophe key is typing èèèè  and the backslash key is éééé  .  This is probably the wrong place to ask, but... what the hell is wrongÉÉÉ (question mark key right there)

My keyboard does that too...its pissing me off...

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2007, 07:14:20 pm »
go to your language bar. you probably have it in french or spanish or something. is there a little thing at the bottom right of your screen with a blue box that says FR or something that is not EN? Change it.
Joe

remixx

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2007, 10:19:08 pm »
this might be my favorite vanessa song ever.... i love the bridge

can someone give me the background about the whole "take my record deal away" thing? and stevie nicks?? what does she have to do with this besides being a tour mate?

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #279 on: June 11, 2007, 11:30:19 pm »
I like this.  I really like this.  The sound is pretty, and the lyrics are personal, but I think it could actually lead some people who don't know her that well to dig in and try to find out what the hell she's referring to and uncover the story.
Dustin

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2007, 11:36:18 pm »
i'm really trying to like it.
but i just don't.

its like it came from a children's cd or something.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2007, 12:35:50 am »
Quote from: "Jessica"
but i just don't.

Is there a such thing as an adult fairytale?  I think most fairytales are in children's books.  A fairytale is a type of story.  Even though we all know of some right off the top of our heads, most the time we have already have heard of them when we were kids, perhaps in a small book our parents read to us from a small book at bedtime.  Maybe the song is depicting that through  a format we can all relate to.  Vanessa's idea of a musical children's book, or a G rated fairytale movie about her life and what she has learned from the events of her life.  If you have been following her you could imagine how that might be seen as a sort of fairytale.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2007, 12:42:13 am »
Quote from: "Jessica"
but i just don't.

:lol:  That's so funny  :lol:
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

jsbachsonata

• MSN Messenger - jsbach_sonata@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jsbachsonata
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2007, 01:36:32 am »
I think this song has a more mature AC sound especially with the instrumentation... "White Houses" on the other hand really sounds like it comes from a children's cd (yea, nessa does have a tendency to write songs that might be too "kiddy")

I think everything's ok when Vanessa finds that balance between a more rock oriented sound and a female singer songwriter tone. I think production, instrumentation, and rhythmic complexity in vanessa's line  play a big part and I think NOlita covers those areas successfully to reach a more mature audienc.

When i first heard white houses, pyhom, and those linda perry songs they sounded like they came from a children's cd. The harmonic content is too bright.  Coupled with rhythmic simplicity in most of these songs, they tend to drift to the "children's realm". I am sincerely hoping they are not on her newest album.

Rainy night

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2007, 03:38:07 am »
A lot of people seem to don't really like V new song  :cry:

I think Nolita Fairytale is her way to show people she's still here and able to evoluate as an artist, try new sounds, talk about her experiences... I actually feel this song as the big new start for V. She's definately back!!
I love Nolita Fairytale, I think it's a beautiful song... Makes me think of a sunny summer day...  :razz:
And the bridge  :heart:  that's my favourite part!!
Looking at you, holding my breath
For once in my life, I'm scared to death
I'm taking a chance, letting you inside...