Don't like it
4 (8.9%)
Not the best off heroes and thieves [or of what we've heard] but it's alright
4 (8.9%)
Need more time before I vote
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: September 18, 2007, 01:04:10 pm

Author Topic: Nolita Fairytale  (Read 10976 times)

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 04:04:51 pm »
Quote from: "MeganJane"
OOPS... I voted before I found out the full song was available... and I have changed my mind... I voted "it's alright"... but now as a whole I don't like it... while some parts of it sound cool, overall it sounds messy to me. It sounds all-over-the-place.... and the awkward "hey!" sounds cheesy to me :? [/i]

yea I agree the 'hey' is kinda strange... HI!!!

HarmySandwhich

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 04:08:05 pm »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
OOPS... I voted before I found out the full song was available... and I have changed my mind... I voted "it's alright"... but now as a whole I don't like it... while some parts of it sound cool, overall it sounds messy to me. It sounds all-over-the-place.... and the awkward "hey!" sounds cheesy to me :? [/i]

I agree too. Reminded me of Avril.  :oops:

I don't like Avril...

"HEY HEY I DON'T WANNA BE YOUR GIIIIIIIRLFWEND"

GAH! It's in my head now!!

Formerly known as Meraphix

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 09:57:34 pm »
Quote from: "HarmySandwhich"

I agree too. Reminded me of Avril.  :oops:

I don't like Avril...

"HEY HEY I DON'T WANNA BE YOUR GIIIIIIIRLFWEND"

GAH! It's in my head now!!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That song... *shudders*... some of her older stuff is cool, and I hate to say it but Avril does a better "hey!" than Nessa... it fits Avril, but not Vanessa  :?
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

reveng_desire

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 02:40:55 pm »
What hey are we talking about? or am I confused again? haha
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 04:09:12 pm »
They "Hey" kind of reminded me of Nelly Furtado moreso than Avril.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

rainforestspirit

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/nessacarltonfan/
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 04:43:05 pm »
Even this song is very personal to vanessa, I think it's really relateable... To me, it's about sticking it to the man and living the life you want to live the way you want to live it.

And it's been stuck in my head all day.. that's definitely good news. And what's weird is that it's catchy, even though the lyrics don't repeat nearly as much as the majority of top 40 songs.

Very well said. I completely agree. Even though it is personal to V as it contains events in her life, everyone can relate to the general theme. I am all for living your life the way you would like to live it - not the way others would like you to live.

The only thing is this is very similar to White Houses. Before any shouting starts - I LOVE White Houses. But I do think that one of the reasons why it didn't do well as a FIRST single is that even though everyone could relate to the theme of a coming of age story/song, the events were still very personal to V. Most singles are not this personal, but more general to the theme. I think it would have done well as a second or third single. Of course the main reason it didn't do well was the lack of promition which has been hashed out so many times. And of course Irv won't let that happen this time around. But I still say it is just as risky as WH was....maybe even more so since it doesn't have a chorus.

oh well, I love it and I still hope it does well. I'm sure she will promote it through the theme of living the way of your heart and soul. And I hope others see it for what it is.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 05:01:29 pm »
I'm really starting to like this song more after I've listened to it a few times over the past couple of days.  I think it's going to do fine on the radio.
 :)

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 04:55:39 pm »
Quote from: "rainforestspirit"
Even this song is very personal to vanessa, I think it's really relateable... To me, it's about sticking it to the man and living the life you want to live the way you want to live it.

And it's been stuck in my head all day.. that's definitely good news. And what's weird is that it's catchy, even though the lyrics don't repeat nearly as much as the majority of top 40 songs.

Very well said. I completely agree. Even though it is personal to V as it contains events in her life, everyone can relate to the general theme. I am all for living your life the way you would like to live it - not the way others would like you to live.

The only thing is this is very similar to White Houses. Before any shouting starts - I LOVE White Houses. But I do think that one of the reasons why it didn't do well as a FIRST single is that even though everyone could relate to the theme of a coming of age story/song, the events were still very personal to V. Most singles are not this personal, but more general to the theme. I think it would have done well as a second or third single. Of course the main reason it didn't do well was the lack of promition which has been hashed out so many times. And of course Irv won't let that happen this time around. But I still say it is just as risky as WH was....maybe even more so since it doesn't have a chorus.

yea I've always wondered what really went wrong with WH... if there was just 1 cause, or a combination of many things. It's my favorite song of v's, but personally, I don't find it catchy. I think it's a beautiful song, and she does get really personal, but I think a major problem was the line "rush of blood and a little bit of pain." I think it was honestly banned from some stations, because before I got my ipod I always called into radio to request songs, even obscure songs. They always seemed to play them, but I must have requested WH like 5 times from different radio stations -- they said they would play it, but they never did. hmmm

rainforestspirit

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/nessacarltonfan/
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 07:52:39 pm »
Quote from: "rainforestspirit"

yea I've always wondered what really went wrong with WH... if there was just 1 cause, or a combination of many things. It's my favorite song of v's, but personally, I don't find it catchy. I think it's a beautiful song, and she does get really personal, but I think a major problem was the line "rush of blood and a little bit of pain." I think it was honestly banned from some stations, because before I got my ipod I always called into radio to request songs, even obscure songs. They always seemed to play them, but I must have requested WH like 5 times from different radio stations -- they said they would play it, but they never did. hmmm

I forgot about that - I am sure that is yet another reason why it did not do well. It is sad that we live in a world where very realistic comments that allude to someone's experience towards sex can not be mentioned on the radio or on mtv but they can show the kind of videos that they do of other celebrities (I won't mention names here but you know what I am talking about) insinuating it - and these are the ones that are popular. I am sure that has been posted before since nessa has made comments to it but it still bothers me...

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 08:25:02 pm »
Quote from: "bran88"
I love it, it has potential to become a hit..can't wait to see how the video turns out.

mmhmm cant wait either!

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

Twilight_Angel

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 01:03:09 am »
I love it! especially the huge 'f*** you!' to her old record company hehe
well ok shes says it more nicely... :lol:

Rainy night

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 07:10:06 am »
Quote from: "Twilight_Angel"
I love it! especially the huge 'f*** you!' to her old record company hehe
well ok shes says it more nicely... :lol:

Lol yeah Nessa says it it more nicely  :lol:  éè
I love it too!!! Nolita Fairytale is such a great song... It now makes me happy when I'm down... I looove it!!  :heart:
Looking at you, holding my breath
For once in my life, I'm scared to death
I'm taking a chance, letting you inside...

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 01:06:22 pm »
Honestly I don't like it. I don't think it's as catchy as The One or HaT. It's not the dislike I have for Prince but it isn't going to be my favorite on the album. I think I know what I don't like about it. It's the bass part that seems repetitive

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2007, 12:51:46 am »
Quote from: "Steveau"
Honestly I don't like it. I don't think it's as catchy as The One or HaT. It's not the dislike I have for Prince but it isn't going to be my favorite on the album. I think I know what I don't like about it. It's the bass part that seems repetitive

Prince took me wayyyy long to come around to, but somehow I did get past it. Somehow it still reminds me of the music on one those darker levels on Super Mario. Anybody else get that vibe? haha

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
Nolita Fairytale
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 06:08:30 am »
Just watched/heard the live acoustic version and I like it much, MUCH better than the album version.  The piano seems so drowned in the other version, but I can appreciate it more in this version. Her voice sounds lovely. I think the "hey" sounds better too  :wink:  :D
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON