Author Topic: "Fools Like Me"  (Read 59764 times)

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2007, 09:03:00 am »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"
Quote from: "blueglove"
I don't know, but I just have an odd feeling that we might not be hearing this one a lot. It shot her voice for the rest of the concert.. I am not sure how this is going to work. This is just speculation, but that is why she did not sing house. It is very hard for her to sing- and this is harder

ya just from listening to clip of Fools like me you can tell shes really pushing to hit those notes...i can imagine that that would affect her performance...unless she always keeps it till last...

She did it in the late middle. It messed up her performances of Home, and nolita fairy tale and  A thousandmiles...... and Edge of 17
Peace
-S

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2007, 09:05:33 am »
I think part of her problem with those notes is that she tries to sing them strongly. When most people sing high notes in that way, they do it in a whispery, light tone. I'm not sure why V doesn't just do it that way. Maybe she can't, I've never heard her sing whispery and light, but if she can I think she should. It sounds prettier anyway. V sounds nasal when she goes falsetto because it sounds like she is pushing the sound out through her nose, like her throat closes up or something. Maybe she will practice more and get better at the high notes, but her voice might just not be that high =\

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2007, 09:07:08 am »
OMG she did a cover of Edge of 17? I must be psychic. When she first started touring with Stevie I predicted she might cover that, and that it would be the best Stevie Nicks song for her to redo =P Was it good?!

blueglove

• View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2007, 09:27:58 am »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
I think part of her problem with those notes is that she tries to sing them strongly. When most people sing high notes in that way, they do it in a whispery, light tone. I'm not sure why V doesn't just do it that way. Maybe she can't, I've never heard her sing whispery and light, but if she can I think she should. It sounds prettier anyway. V sounds nasal when she goes falsetto because it sounds like she is pushing the sound out through her nose, like her throat closes up or something. Maybe she will practice more and get better at the high notes, but her voice might just not be that high =\

Personaly when an artist does that to me it is like lower the song or something because you can clearly not sing that! I love how like a m. Carey can sing loud and high.. she has gotten a lot better with her high notes.. her head voice is improving a lot! I would not doubt that she will work at it. It is very easy for a woman to go nasaly in a falsetto
Peace
-S

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2007, 09:41:05 am »
I'm sorry, but this is just a common assumption made by people that's always bothered me... haha. Woman don't have falsetto. Only men use falsetto and women transition to their head voice. Vanessa is using her head voice in Home and Fools Like Me, she can't use falsetto because she isn't a man. Falsetto and head voice are different from each other but I don't feel like explaining why. lol Now that that's said... I'll shut up. Haha.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

blueglove

• View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 09:46:37 am »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"
I'm sorry, but this is just a common assumption made by people that's always bothered me... haha. Woman don't have falsetto. Only men use falsetto and women transition to their head voice. Vanessa is using her head voice in Home and Fools Like Me, she can't use falsetto because she isn't a man. Falsetto and head voice are different from each other but I don't feel like explaining why. lol Now that that's said... I'll shut up. Haha.

ahaha I think I beat you to that too.. it made me cringe.. There is a falcetto- only on M. Carey though... Vanessa no
Peace
-S

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2007, 09:50:00 am »

ahaha I think I beat you to that too.. it made me cringe.. There is a falcetto- only on M. Carey though... Vanessa no

Mariah goes into what's called a whistle register. Which is also different from falsetto. Haha, sorry. :3 It's basically like a super high head voice. Like, super super high.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2007, 11:31:07 am »
Hey steve....is Edge of 17 a song that just V sang with the piano...or did she sing it with Stevie?

Do you think it could be the cover for this Album??

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2007, 01:36:29 pm »
God, I'm sorry I made you cringe. How dare I misuse a musical term. I know that men go falsetto and that the term is usually meant for men, but I didn't know the female equivalent so I just said that. Stop being a musical snob.

(let me add that I'm only really referencing Blueglove, the other person's response didn't bother me, but blueglove often uses condescending tones with people and it gets on my nerves)

blueglove

• View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2007, 02:45:04 pm »

Mariah goes into what's called a whistle register. Which is also different from falsetto. Haha, sorry. :3 It's basically like a super high head voice. Like, super super high.

by definition isn't is falcetto.... she moves those end strands on a vocal cord... normally woman can not do that. Men can that is what gives them false voice- just a question, not trying to sound conceded
Peace
-S

blueglove

• View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2007, 02:46:02 pm »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
God, I'm sorry I made you cringe. How dare I misuse a musical term. I know that men go falsetto and that the term is usually meant for men, but I didn't know the female equivalent so I just said that. Stop being a musical snob.

(let me add that I'm only really referencing Blueglove, the other person's response didn't bother me, but blueglove often uses condescending tones with people and it gets on my nerves)

OK i'm sorry I just must type condecendingly... I am sorry, but what ev.. I don't feel like fighting about the way that I type- just don't read into the way that I type things... it was not to make fun of you
Peace
-S

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
TESTY
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2007, 03:00:40 pm »
Why is everyone so testy?.....SAM I NEED YOU

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

reveng_desire

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 03:07:46 pm »
What what? For what?
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:02 pm »

by definition isn't is falcetto.... she moves those end strands on a vocal cord... normally woman can not do that. Men can that is what gives them false voice- just a question, not trying to sound conceded

Nooo. I'm pretty positive she's still using the head voice register when she does that. Mariah is known for her whistle range, which is the highest register of the human voice. It's like those... super high pitched whistly "ooo's" that she does. I've never heard or read anything about her being able to use falsetto.

I could be wrong though.

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
"Fools Like Me"
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2007, 02:36:15 am »

Nooo. I'm pretty positive she's still using the head voice register when she does that. Mariah is known for her whistle range, which is the highest register of the human voice. It's like those... super high pitched whistly "ooo's" that she does. I've never heard or read anything about her being able to use falsetto.

I could be wrong though.

I have always found this to be a very interesting topic.

I have only ever heard Vanessa use her chest voice and her head voice.  You can tell when she flips to her head voice because it can sometimes sound very breathy.  One of the keys is to be able to control the transition from your chest voice to your head voice smoothly and almost undetectably.

A second important fact to managing these multiple registers is knowing when to hit what note out of what register... for example you can belt a note out of your chest voice or flip it up to your head voice.  I think there are also instances of Vanessa stressing her chest voice instead of leveraging her head voice.

Mariah Carey is one of the few pop artists i know of to make use of the whistle register aside from JoJo recently and Timberlake is a great example of the falsetto register being used.

My understanding is the following...
Women have chest, head and whistle registers.

Men have chest, head and falsetto registers

And roughly, the head voice of a woman is generally compared to the falsetto register of a man.

I friend of mine is an exceptional singer and she worked with vocal coaches to overall improve her voice, range, air control, etc.  I think Vanessa could be even more amazing with some coaching.

-katia

EDIT: fixed a typo :)
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton