Poll

Should college students be allowed to keep pets on campus?

yes
7 (41.2%)
no
6 (35.3%)
just small animals like rodents
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: July 04, 2007, 06:05:55 am

Author Topic: pet friendly colleges  (Read 5435 times)

givemer0mance

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - givemer0mance
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/letsgetdowntodisco
pet friendly colleges
« on: July 04, 2007, 06:05:55 am »
do you think that college students should be allowed to keep pets on campus in their dorms?  there are two colleges that are doing it right now, and it seems pretty successful.  eckard in st. petersburg, fl, and stephens college in st. louis i think.  obviously, the rules would be strict as they are in both of those colleges, like they can't be taken from the dorms, can't be over 40 pounds, can't have more than one dog/cat, etc.  also, nyu is allowing dogs who are being trained to become seeing eye dogs.

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »
I think it would be helpful to some students who are dealing with a lot of stress, etc. and are animal lovers, but it may cause more trouble that it would be worth on a lot of campuses.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 04:58:25 pm »
As someone who is allergic to dogs, I'd say no. Also dorms are pretty small (I went to college and it's not like TV)... The health issues can be even more complex when now you also have animals living in confined spaces. Dorms can be messy enough as is, without animals. Just my 2 cents.
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:00:01 am »
I think dogs/cats would be a bad idea in dorms. Kids could convince their parents to let them take the family dog or whatever, but they probably wont time-manage well enough to take care of them, they might expose the dogs to weed and other drugs. They probably wouldn't find the time to walk them as much, preferring to party instead. They'd probably be too stoned to remember to feed them. And this applies to all college kids, of course.

But everybody loves a stoned hampster.

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 07:05:24 am »
i looked up these 2 colleges, and at least one of them has a separate floor for the people who have pets with them.  that eliminates the allergy factor, so i'd definitely say yes.  then again, i've had pets around me my entire life.   i have 2 twin cats that i'm really attached to, too, so i don't know which one i would bring!
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 07:06:38 am »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
I think dogs/cats would be a bad idea in dorms. Kids could convince their parents to let them take the family dog or whatever, but they probably wont time-manage well enough to take care of them, they might expose the dogs to weed and other drugs. They probably wouldn't find the time to walk them as much, preferring to party instead. They'd probably be too stoned to remember to feed them. And this applies to all college kids, of course.

But everybody loves a stoned hampster.

that's sad, but unfortunately probably true, too. :cry:
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 03:41:05 pm »
eh having a pet at a college...that has its pros and its cons...not sure I put no but you never know.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:30:53 pm »
Freshman year is hard enough without having to worry about taking care of a pet.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Twilight_Angel

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:51:15 am »
Quote from: "B"
I think it would be helpful to some students who are dealing with a lot of stress, etc. and are animal lovers, but it may cause more trouble that it would be worth on a lot of campuses.

yeah i agree...i would like to have pets in college.

LimeTwister

pet friendly colleges
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 05:20:09 pm »
I voted no, but I had (and still have) two rats.  But, for the most part, a lot of college students can't take care of themselves enough to be able to have a pet.

tylor2000

• View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 12:08:57 am »
When I went to college people usually found cheap rent around the university.  Some people like living in the dorms for certain reasons, but others would move out and share a house or apartment.  I think most of the time you can find places around the university which are not so expensive as they normally would be because of the high concentration of college students in the area.  Not because of supply and demand based solely on the overall population but because the local market has to cater to the majority of people who are looking for places.  If people won't or can't afford to to pay a price you have more vacancies which drives down the price rather than up.  Cheaper prices students will flock to and so it causes other places to follow suit.  Of course you can pay alot of money if you don't look around.

tylor2000

• View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 12:30:05 am »
For instance, at one time I had found, by word of mouth, a two bedroom apartment for $450, where two couples lived, me and my girlfriend and her friend and boyfriend.  That's $112.50 a month for rent!  Enough for lots of beer and parties.  Extreme example but still.  We were very low drama, which is the only way.....for sure.

Rainy night

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 08:00:52 am »
I don't think "big" pets should be allowed... Staying locked all day is too sad for an animal...  :cry:  

But small pets should be allowed. They are mostly living in a cage so they can stay lonely when students are out. Here, many university students I'm friend with have small pets in their room. But it's not legally allowed.

But they really cause no troubles, so I think small pets like rodent should be allowed...
Looking at you, holding my breath
For once in my life, I'm scared to death
I'm taking a chance, letting you inside...

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 09:38:58 am »
Hell no! That would suck so bad. Who's going to watch it while you're in class. No one wants to hear a dumb dog bark or whine, smell a cat box etc. College kids can barely afford to feed themselves let alone feed an animal.

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
pet friendly colleges
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 12:42:03 am »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
For instance, at one time I had found, by word of mouth, a two bedroom apartment for $450, where two couples lived, me and my girlfriend and her friend and boyfriend.  That's $112.50 a month for rent!  Enough for lots of beer and parties.  Extreme example but still.  We were very low drama, which is the only way.....for sure.

$450 for a 2 bedroom apt?! where the hell do you live?!  $450 wont even be close to cover half the rent in a ghetto place over here. damn.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven