Author Topic: 7/24/2007: Roxy Theatre - West Hollywood, CA (review)  (Read 39276 times)

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
7/24/2007: Roxy Theatre - West Hollywood, CA (review)
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2007, 11:17:58 pm »
lol i really like listening to the little tunning thing they did before singing the one...i think she add that to the actual song..hahaha

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2007, 11:38:39 pm »
i am pretty sure that is part of the song - it's called an intro

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2007, 12:17:37 am »
Quote from: "divasteph"
i am pretty sure that is part of the song - it's called an intro

really you think it will be part of the song on the album? i really hope so.
i couldnt tell if it was tunning or part of the song...

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2007, 01:26:46 am »
no - because they didnt sing those harmonies at all IN the actual song when they performed it - it was just an intro

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2007, 02:08:27 am »
I think this show at The Roxy might be the best Vanessa show I have seen thus far.  I have so much respect for Vanessa and am really happy to have had the opportunity to observe her for the past 5 years.

Vanessa has always seemed very introverted but for the first time ever, i watched her shake the hands of fans from on stage and even sign something for a fan!  I don't think she is even remotely close to acting like a diva, in fact i think the opposite... she was very humble.

The highlights from the show for me were...

- The new songs... Nolita Fairytale, The One, Hands On Me, Fools Like Me and Home were awesome.  It is so amazing how much Vanessa opens up through her lyrics and music.  Her courage to put herself out there is amazing.

- Her vocal range in the new songs and how White Houses and Who's To Say were changed blew me away.  The added lyrics in Who's To Say was really hot.

- The duet with Stevie was truly touching.  I thought it was so cute how while Vanessa was playing she was looking at Stevie and visa versa.

- Irv watching Vanessa from the side, knowing all the lyrics and singing along.  I think they’re a match made in heaven.  More than anything, I want Vanessa to be very successful and from what I’ve seen, Irv is going to make that happen.

- Irv running on stage yelling at V that she is the f'ing shit.  Followed by V saying that he needs to do that for all the songs or else she will think the other ones weren't as good as that one.

I can’t imagine what it must be like to handle the stress and popularity she received in 2002 with the success of A Thousand Miles and the fiasco with the label in 2004 with no promotion and no support.  I think Vanessa has a lot of courage to get back out there and open up so much in the new songs.

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2007, 02:11:10 am »
Awesome review Katia. I definitely feel the same way about a lot of what you said. :)

And thanks to everyone who has posted pics/vids/reviews so far!  :D
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2007, 01:18:29 pm »
Hey Kulp...are you gunna be able to convert those youtube vids to mp3?? :)

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2007, 01:26:02 pm »
at one point vanessa looked like she was in tears of awe - i think it was after stevie was saying how proud of her she was... anyone agree?

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2007, 04:14:18 pm »
Quote from: "divasteph"
at one point vanessa looked like she was in tears of awe - i think it was after stevie was saying how proud of her she was... anyone agree?

I don't think it was awe. I think it was more just being moved by having Stevie there and talking like a proud mom. I definitely saw her eyes welling up. It was a unique moment I'm glad I was there to share it as I'm sure everyone else there was too.

I agree with Kaysha that she seems very comfortable now with the spotlight. For a time she would never smile for pictures with fans and now her smile is back and brighter than ever. It's great to see!

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2007, 10:15:40 pm »
I really loved the performance and I got choked up too to see them both sharing that moment and her choking up, trying to hold back tears and even taking a few seconds to start off the song.

But...I have to address this, Stevie didn't even know the lines well you can't deny it she even told the audience and she had papers scattered trying to figure out what to sing. When she was singing it was kind of just, all over the place in my opinion. It was nice to see the reunion-reaction/love going on, but as for Stevie Nicks I'm not a huge fan of her at all she's  on my list with Bjork someone I don't care for and I think doesn't have much singing talent, especially when all she was mostly doing was humming or kind of moaning. "to each his own."

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2007, 10:32:03 pm »
I am going to have to agree with that she seems much happier and friendly.

OK, I finally finished putting up the videos. Again, excuse the aim, if you hear singing it's not me there was a crazy old lady next to us. The beeps are the photographer dude but I am sure you all will enjoy them anyway.

Ordinary Day
Hands On Me
Nolita Fairytale
The One
White Houses
Heroes and Thieves
Fools Like Me
ATM
Home
Who's To Say

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2007, 11:29:50 pm »
Quote from: "eclv"
I am going to have to agree with that she seems much happier and friendly.

OK, I finally finished putting up the videos. Again, excuse the aim, if you hear singing it's not me there was a crazy old lady next to us. The beeps are the photographer dude but I am sure you all will enjoy them anyway.

Ordinary Day
Hands On Me
Nolita Fairytale
The One
White Houses
Heroes and Thieves
Fools Like Me
ATM
Home
Who's To Say

Thanks sooo much! So it was a crazy lady beside you who was singing?LOL in the fools like me vid, when V goes into the really high notes, i coul hear someone else singing...and it made V sound bad in the recoring...i was like wow that person sucks..lol but i ddidnt say anything because i thought it mightve been you...hahahaha

but aneways...thanks again :)

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2007, 12:35:41 pm »
Hey, can someone dl the vids from googlevideos and host them somewhere else please?
My Firefox plug-in that works with youtube won't let me...:(
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2007, 04:53:56 pm »
Quote from: "Manda"
I really loved the performance and I got choked up too to see them both sharing that moment and her choking up, trying to hold back tears and even taking a few seconds to start off the song.

But...I have to address this, Stevie didn't even know the lines well you can't deny it she even told the audience and she had papers scattered trying to figure out what to sing. When she was singing it was kind of just, all over the place in my opinion. It was nice to see the reunion-reaction/love going on, but as for Stevie Nicks I'm not a huge fan of her at all she's  on my list with Bjork someone I don't care for and I think doesn't have much singing talent, especially when all she was mostly doing was humming or kind of moaning. "to each his own."

I do agree with you that Stevie didn't really add anything to the song that night because she obviously didn't know the song at all it seemed. That's probably why Vanessa played it over and over at soundcheck. I'm sure it will be better on the album because they can make it perfect during production. I've never been a fan of Stevie or Fleetwood Mac and I'm not crazy about the sound of her voice. That's just my taste.