Author Topic: Vanessa Appearances / Magazines  (Read 67928 times)

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
Vanessa Appearances / Magazines
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2007, 04:22:22 pm »
AWESOME!!! could you possible scan it for uss?? :D

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2007, 05:48:33 pm »
Did anyone catch her on the CBS morning show today?
Peace
-S

WhiteHouses108

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Makemesmile108
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2007, 05:59:17 pm »
My scanner is broken.  :cry:
But i took a picture.

You're very exotic looking. Was your dad a GI?

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2007, 06:03:58 pm »
oo the article looks neat. thanks for the pic :)

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone

rainforestspirit

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/nessacarltonfan/
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2007, 06:54:22 pm »
Quote from: "WhiteHouses108"
Vanessa was in Cosmogirl! I got mine today with the cover of Blake Lively from the new Gossip Girl show. Vanessa has one page with a big picture of her and she talks about what some of her songs mean. I think they are Nolita Fairytale, Fools Like Me, Home, The One, and Heroes and Thieves.

Nice! Can you please scan it or take a photo and post it? Thanks!

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2007, 07:00:45 pm »
Quote from: "rainforestspirit"
Vanessa was in Cosmogirl! I got mine today with the cover of Blake Lively from the new Gossip Girl show. Vanessa has one page with a big picture of her and she talks about what some of her songs mean. I think they are Nolita Fairytale, Fools Like Me, Home, The One, and Heroes and Thieves.

Nice! Can you please scan it or take a photo and post it? Thanks!

My scanner is broken.  :cry:
But i took a picture.

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2007, 08:09:31 pm »
Here's my scan for the CosmoGirl mag page...

Also here's a scan of the People Magazine review of H&T....

and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2007, 10:42:03 pm »
thank you for the pics :)

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2007, 12:41:54 am »
PutYourHandsOnMe101, sorry but could you please post bigger scans so it is possible to read the articles?
Thanks! :)
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

ste_uel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2007, 12:53:38 pm »
mm bah!

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2007, 08:36:36 pm »
I can't make them much bigger without making them slightly blurry but I will retype everything in the articles for you guys.....

CosmoGirl Making Tracks Interview

After crushing the piano from her "A Thousand Miles" video, Vanessa Carlton has found inner peace. By Rachel Chang

The moment Vanessa Carlton welcomed us into her New York City loft to hear songs from her new cd, Heroes & Thieves (out October 9) we were greeted by a sense of serenity. Surrounded by exposed-brick walls, Victorian paintings, and tons of candles, the 27 year-old from Milford, Pennsylvania, shared the thoughtfulness she puts into all her songs.

1 Nolita Fairytale "This is about me being in this gritty, sweaty city and finding this peace and quiet. Nolita is like a haunting yet charming village- the lyrics are full of contrasts like that."

2 Home "You assume someone with a big house on a hill has a charmed life, but they don't. Home isn't always what you expect. It can be triggered by a person, smell, or spot on the street- whatever brings you calm."

3 The One "We all have a kryptonite person who makes us melt and lose our defenses. The boy in this song doesn't realize she's The One until it's too late. The girl finds peace in moving on- it's one of those great tragedies we all experience."

4 Heroes & Thieves "In A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson, there's a spooky but profound story about thieves who climb walls under the moonlight. It made me realize I needed to suss out the heroes and thieves in my life. This is about putting someone in the wrong category."

5 Fools Like Me "Girls are so guilty of holding on to something that is broken. It often takes a relationship breaking down to the lowst level before we realize it's not going to work. But it's important to have that approach- I'd rather be the fool instead of being just a hardened girl."

I believe the second article is easy to read but if not let me know...
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

Ivan

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2007, 03:43:55 pm »
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/entertainment/5228678.html

Vanessa Carlton returns after heartbreak and a label divorce

By MARK KENNEDY
Associated Press

NEW YORK — In her latest video, Vanessa Carlton very deliberately kills a piano.

The clip for Nolita Fairytale begins with her entering a garage and removing the cover from a red piano. She sits down at the keyboard and — whoosh — the artist and piano soon float above a city street.

At this point, viewers may feel a little deja vu: So far, the new video is a step-by-step copy of the one for her breakout 2002 single A Thousand Miles.

Only this time, things go screwy. Carlton cracks a sly smile before scampering away, abandoning the piano in the street. Seconds later, it gets creamed by a yellow taxi.

The destruction of the instrument is Carlton's attempt to make a fresh start — plowing through a five-year-old image that got bigger than the artist herself.

"That image kind of trumped everything else. It became almost iconic — the girl and the piano," says Carlton during an interview at an outdoor cafe near her apartment in the Nolita neighborhood of Manhattan. "They don't know who I am, they don't know the song, they don't know any of it. But they know the traveling piano video."

So Carlton and video director Mark Klasfeld, who created the floating piano, decided to purge it.

"To start anew, you have to kind of open the old book and then close it so you can then open the next book," says Carlton, who this day wears a floppy hat, black nail polish, skintight jeans, a knitted top and a nose stud.

Carlton, 27, is hoping a new book opens with Heroes & Thieves, her third album after a turbulent few years that saw her break up with both her longtime boyfriend and her record label.

"I think the past couple of years have been one of those really hard-core evolutionary chapters for me," she says, sipping a double espresso. "This album reflects that."

The CD — co-written with Third Eye Blind founder Stephan Jenkins and songwriter Linda Perry — is an 11-song collection that mines the veins of longing, heartbreak and independence.

"Take away my record deal/Go on I don't need it," she sings on the first single. "Spent the last two years getting to what's real/And now I can see so clear."

For Carlton to lose her record deal seemed unfathomable in 2002 when her debut album, Be Not Nobody, earned three Grammy nominations, including Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

Her second album, 2004's Harmonium, which yielded the single White Houses, also garnered good reviews but made little splash. MTV, VH1 and some radio stations balked at playing the single, which deals with a girl losing her virginity.

Carlton said she was frustrated by her then-label, Interscope Records, feeling like the second album wasn't supported as hard as she'd like.

"I felt I was being punished or smacked on the hand for kind of making a left turn," she says. "It's not like I had released an avant-garde album. I'd made certain choices that weren't typical or weren't expected of me."

She found comfort in an unexpected place: The Inc. Records — once known as Murder Inc. After being wooed by label head Irv "Gotti" Lorenzo, Carlton found herself among a stable of stars that includes Ja Rule, Ashanti and R&B singer Lloyd.

"It's an odd coupling. You would never think to put us together," Carlton admits. "He just blew me away with his level of passion and devotion in creating good music, no matter what genre it is. And his ear is excellent."

For his part, Lorenzo says he was smitten while listening to Carlton perform one of her new songs. "I was completely blown away, in all honesty," he says. "I was jumping around, cursing and everything. She was just looking at me, laughing. I thought she was thinking, 'This dude is completely crazy.'

"I think it was a breath of fresh air for her. I think the people who she worked with, even when they liked the record, they didn't jump and scream. I think she's one of the best talents that I've ever come across," he adds.

The new album also benefits from Carlton's association with Jenkins, who helped produce the disc and co-wrote five tracks. That made things slightly complicated when, during recording, they broke up their four-year romantic relationship.

"It's just such a special project for us. I'm proud of our musical partnership. I really think we just did our best work and so I look at it as my duty to bring this record to this stage in a way that continues the high standard that we reached in the studio," she says.

Though the topic of Jenkins still seems a tad raw, Carlton says she would happily work with her ex again. "He's a fantastic songwriter. I just think he's extraordinary. That mutual respect will forever live on," she says.

While her heart was breaking and her career was in tatters, Carlton relied on someone she'd toured with and befriended: Stevie Nicks, who appears on a song on the new CD.

"When I met her and was touring with her I was really in fragile state of mind and very unsure about what my next move was going to be," she says. "She became my home. She put her chiffon wing around me. She told me, 'You are up for this fight. You have no choice. You have to continue.'

"She thinks I'm this great songwriter. She said, 'You're one of those artists that need to get to their best-of record.' I just don't want to let her down," Carlton says. "And now I don't want to let myself down, either."

Armed with the new album, Carlton launches a two-year schedule of tours and promotions. Lorenzo insists she's under no pressure to produce sales immediately.

"I call her music 'forever music.' The record that she's writing is the record they'll be playing in the next 20 or 30 years," he says.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
i got the people one
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2007, 05:57:55 pm »
They gave her a good review!

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2007, 06:00:32 pm »
Quote from: "Ivan"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/entertainment/5228678.html

Vanessa Carlton returns after heartbreak and a label divorce

By MARK KENNEDY
Associated Press

NEW YORK — In her latest video, Vanessa Carlton very deliberately kills a piano.

The clip for Nolita Fairytale begins with her entering a garage and removing the cover from a red piano. She sits down at the keyboard and — whoosh — the artist and piano soon float above a city street.

At this point, viewers may feel a little deja vu: So far, the new video is a step-by-step copy of the one for her breakout 2002 single A Thousand Miles.

i no i acctually turned it off the 1st time i saw it on youtube cause i thought it was a thousand miles and that they got the titles mixed up......lol

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2007, 07:47:49 pm »
Multiplatinum recording star Vanessa Carlton is getting critical acclaim for a record she collaborated on with Stephan Jenkins of Third Eye Blind, her former boyfriend. That sounds like a bittersweet victory, but she insists it's not like that.
"We're still friends and so very proud of this record because it's our child," says Carlton of her new Heroes and Thieves album. "I think this record was the whole reason we were together in the first place. In some ways, it was like the music was always most important, and in the end, that's probably why we evolved into being friends."

The singer/songwriter/pianist says The Inc./Universal Motown Records' release is her most introspective work yet.

"I'm 27 now, and the past year for me has brought up a lot of questions that come from evolving into a real woman, and the theme of the album is deciphering the heroes from the thieves in a very black-and-white way: What kind of life do I want to lead and carve out for myself? What kind of characters do I want to surround myself with?"

She adds, "I call my songs chapters, and the last chapter, More than This, talks about: What if we could declare right now that I don't need any more than I have - the person sitting next to me, the shoes on my feet, my dog, my career? If I just kind of declare that, in theory, I would experience this bliss. . . . Every song on the album involves those kinds of things."

Carlton just headed out on a limited four-week promo tour. She plans to "shoot the video for the second single Hands on Me in December, then next year, I'll take the band out and do a bigger tour."