Author Topic: Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves  (Read 31400 times)

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
UM
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 06:19:41 am »
What the hell is up with stevie's voice not in sync with vanessa's they should have shadowed her voice so it stands out more it just sounds really weird but the song is awesome.

mike
.........the one and only!

Dora

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.org
Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 07:44:26 am »
i havent listened to everything yet but Spring Street brought me to TEARS the first listen. she really touched a nerve with that one, I can't say how much i relate to it.

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 07:48:12 am »
I know... I love Spring Street!
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

Boy of Summer

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thenolitafairyta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 08:15:41 am »
stevie and nessa both have wonderful voices independently, but jesus christ..........putting them together are like nails on a fucking chalkboard! their voices dont harmonize well at all. anyway , im saddened to say that im pretty "meh" about most of the album... with the exception of the song "home", HOLY MOSES that song makes up for it!

"nolila fairytale" "hands on me" and "heroes and thieves" and really good too.

Dora

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.org
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 08:24:12 am »
spring street is still the best song on the album
home is right after.

but the rest of the songs need to grow on me, and I've already listened to this time and the one, hands on me so many times so I'm outgrown them :/

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 09:01:11 am »
"Come Undone" has grown on me a lot. I like her vocals on it a lot.

Suicidalboobs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 09:16:09 am »
I'll review the songs I've chosen to listen to before the release date:

Nolita Fairytale.
Well, we all know it. It's great.

Hands On Me. The intro is nice. First verse is nice. Chorus is nice. Second verse is ok, my only complaint is that the strings repeated that same note in harmonization with the verse. I mean, they could've articulated a bit. The bridge is great, especially when the na na na na na choir comes in. After the choir, i was completely dissappointed with the string arrangement. They make that whining type sound when moving to the different notes. If they would have not slid into each note, the strings
would've created a much more epic feel. The last verse is amzing and grand with the finishing choir. Overall the song is great. Single material.

Spring Street. OMG, I thought The Beatles when I first listened. Granted, it is different, but I thought it was really good. The na na na na na na nah's are smooth and sultry to me. I love them. The story of the song is beautiful and my eyes were "wet with tears." I love the ending verse about how she speaks about having a daughter in the future.  The nanah's aren't that profound, but it doesn't ruin the song whatsoever. I think it's nice. The bridge is nice. I still get the Beatles feel with the background singing. especially when she transitions into the chorus afterward ("even when we have to say.../chorus") I like this song a lot. I don't see what everyone is complaining about. I think it's single material.

My Best. Short and sweet. Cute melody throughout. It's obvious this song is about Stephan. A lot of these songs are actually. I like the strings in this song. The ending could've been a little better. Overall nice song.

Come Undone
. The phased organ intro could be likened to some Deep Purple keyboarding. I like it, but what the hell is it doing in front of this song? On to the song, the piano is nice. I have to say, this is probably my least favorite song so far. This song reminds me so much of one of those dime-a-dozen lame pop songs from women you hear in the music at the grocery store, if you know what I'm talking about. Just with the clapping in tempo and the light guitar. That's my only let down. I love the outro with just the jamming and piano.

and This Time We were soooo used to the speedy live version. This one was slowed down noticably. When i first listened i was singing way ahead of her. But you get used to it. It does sound mostly like the promosquad clip we heard. It's a good song. Maybe even single material.

Fools Like Me My god this song is completely different. The intro is like wtf. The song is too fast paced. Getting into the song though, it gets better. but it's definately not what we expected, a sad dark song. It needs a different drum beat to go along. I love the ending where we finally get a break from the upbeat fast tempoed crap. but all in all, it's not a bad song. Possiblysingle worthy.

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
GO STEVIE!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 12:39:05 pm »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"
Gorgeous like the cries of a dying water buffalo.

I am curious to know how many dying water buffalo you have heard.

hahaha

If you watch programs like Nature on PBS you'd be surprised.

haha. good one.

p.s. I love stevie's vocals.

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 01:57:36 pm »
I think Hands on Me, Spring Street, and Home are the best options for singles but My Best, Fools Like Me, and maybe even More Than This could all be possibilities.
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 02:01:50 pm »
If "More Than This" is a single, it should be the last one. <3

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 02:23:59 pm »
Quote from: "Dora"
i havent listened to everything yet but Spring Street brought me to TEARS the first listen. she really touched a nerve with that one, I can't say how much i relate to it.

I cried when I heard Spring Street too! That and Home. The ending of Home is just incredible. I thought it was over and then it starts up again.
I have had Spring Street stuck in my head all day. "Na na na na na..."

Gingernut

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 02:31:15 pm »
Spring Street intro reminds me of the Clarissa Explains It All Intro.
Other than that, the whole thing's brilliant :D

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 02:39:42 pm »
Quote from: "Ms.Arwen"

I cried when I heard Spring Street too! That and Home. The ending of Home is just incredible. I thought it was over and then it starts up again.

I bet they play Spring Street on "The Hills" lol ... "And everything changes, and friends become strangers. What we hold so dear, slips away. My past keeps on fading, but I'll never forget you. It's hard to see that you're a part of me even when we have to say... na na na"

^ To that show's credit, they do play good music sometimes haha

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 02:45:25 pm »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
Quote from: "Ms.Arwen"

I bet they play Spring Street on "The Hills" lol ... "And everything changes, and friends become strangers. What we hold so dear, slips away. My past keeps on fading, but I'll never forget you. It's hard to see that you're a part of me even when we have to say... na na na"

^ To that show's credit, they do play good music sometimes haha

Ya i think that would be a good song to play on this hills :) they have been playing some okay music lately...

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

bumblebee429

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 02:56:23 pm »
Quote from: "Suicidalboobs"
This Time We were soooo used to the speedy live version. This one was slowed down noticably. When i first listened i was singing way ahead of her. But you get used to it.

I was just about to comment about how slow This Time is! except I can't get used to it  :(