Author Topic: 11/2/2007: Martini Ranch - Scottsdale, AZ (review)  (Read 25970 times)

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
11/2/2007: Martini Ranch - Scottsdale, AZ (review)
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 05:04:32 pm »
always an amazing show.   pics to come soon.

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 05:04:33 pm »
Quote from: "IfICouldFall"
Yay, it sounds so intimate with just the violin and piano... ooh *insert musical orgasm lol*. lovE love all is well and H&T with the violin.

lol musical orgasm can't even some up how well I think it is just her the piano and the amazing violin skills of (forgot his name..) its like a tripple orgasm..it that exsists...

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

reveng_desire

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 07:03:03 pm »
Wait...

Didn't V say at the show that his name was Scotty, not Skye? Or I might have been drink. But I was in the under 21 zone lol.
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 07:04:02 pm »
Live Review: Vanessa Carlton in Scottsdale, AZ
November 5, 2007 11:11 AM
By Christina Fuoco-Karasinski
LiveDaily Contributor
Singer-pianist Vanessa Carlton [ tickets ] kicked off her tour Friday (11/2) at Scottsdale, AZ's Martini Ranch with a few opening-night jitters, but nonetheless delivered 90 minutes of elegantly performed pop songs.
Accompanied by her piano and Mellotron, as well as a violinist, Carlton breathed a sigh of relief when she finished several songs, some of which were making their live debut. At one point she said, "God help us," which was met by laughter from the crowd. Carlton sat stiffly at the piano for the first two songs, but finally let go and began to sway during the melancholy "Heroes and Thieves," the title track from her latest album.

"I'm so excited," the piano tickler told the crowd. "We're like circus freaks who travel around the country."

Carlton kicked off her set with the passionate and fun "Nolita Fairytale," which didn't necessarily work in this setting. The first single from "Heroes and Thieves," the song has an undercurrent of marching band drums. With that missing, it relied solely on Carlton and the violinist, leaving the song feeling a bit empty.

With a crocheted afghan thrown over her grand piano, Carlton introduced several of her songs as "chapters," creating a storytellers vibe in the intimate club. She told stories about the making of various songs.

She complained about her former record label, A&M, sending her into the studio after she was finished supporting her 2004 album "Harmonium." During those sessions, Carlton said she had a "revelation" to leave the label and pursue a different deal.

For the song "C'est La Vie," she ignored the underage show patrons and gave her English translation of the French saying.

"It is translated in my lexicon as f--- it," she said. The song, which Carlton played alone on the Mellotron, brought down the set's energy. She described the song as one that helped her get through a rough break up.

Curiously, she asked the audience if they were all Republicans. Before the crowd had a chance to answer, she said "never mind." Instead she spoke about how intolerance makes her "very upset."

"There are people in this room that are in love with others that your mother doesn't approve of," she said in introducing "Who's to Say."

Carlton's comfort level rose during the latter half of the show. The set list, shown below, showcased how her career has evolved. Many of the newer songs, such as "Nolita Fairytale," had more energy than the songs she wrote as a gangly teenager, like "A Thousand Miles."

Opener Graham Colton [ tickets ], perhaps best known for being Kelly Clarkson's ex-boyfriend, entertained the crowd with acoustic renditions of his songs. The boy-next-door look worked well for Colton, who said he rarely plays shows in which he's alone on stage with his acoustic guitar.

Set List:
"Nolita Fairytale"
"Hands on Me"
"Heroes and Thieves"
"Ordinary Day"
"This Time"
"My Best"
"C'est La Vie"
"Who's to Say"
"Winter"
"The One"
"White Houses"
"All is Well"
"Fools Like Me"
"Home"
"More than This"
"A Thousand Miles"

A review of the show. oh and "winter" is HAWBTW right?

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 07:12:42 pm »
Winter = HAWBTW for lazy people.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2007, 08:13:30 pm »
ok just making sure I was not missing something..it had me going kinda nuts for a mintue...

so far so good at the start of the tour!  :D

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2007, 09:40:43 pm »
His name is Skye.. it's funny because a friend of mine thought V said Scott at the AZ show too.. i think it was just poor enunciation.

http://www.skyesteele.com

http://www.myspace.com/skyesteele
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2007, 10:12:08 pm »
I fucked up Let's recording too  because I kept yelling YES! with excitement everytime the violin rocked my world!  whoops!

HEE HEE

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2007, 10:19:58 pm »
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"
Live Review: Vanessa Carlton in Scottsdale, AZ
November 5, 2007 11:11 AM
By Christina Fuoco-Karasinski
LiveDaily Contributor
Singer-pianist Vanessa Carlton [ tickets ] kicked off her tour Friday (11/2) at Scottsdale, AZ's Martini Ranch with a few opening-night jitters, but nonetheless delivered 90 minutes of elegantly performed pop songs.
Accompanied by her piano and Mellotron, as well as a violinist, Carlton breathed a sigh of relief when she finished several songs, some of which were making their live debut. At one point she said, "God help us," which was met by laughter from the crowd. Carlton sat stiffly at the piano for the first two songs, but finally let go and began to sway during the melancholy "Heroes and Thieves," the title track from her latest album.

"I'm so excited," the piano tickler told the crowd. "We're like circus freaks who travel around the country."

Carlton kicked off her set with the passionate and fun "Nolita Fairytale," which didn't necessarily work in this setting. The first single from "Heroes and Thieves," the song has an undercurrent of marching band drums. With that missing, it relied solely on Carlton and the violinist, leaving the song feeling a bit empty.

With a crocheted afghan thrown over her grand piano, Carlton introduced several of her songs as "chapters," creating a storytellers vibe in the intimate club. She told stories about the making of various songs.

She complained about her former record label, A&M, sending her into the studio after she was finished supporting her 2004 album "Harmonium." During those sessions, Carlton said she had a "revelation" to leave the label and pursue a different deal.

For the song "C'est La Vie," she ignored the underage show patrons and gave her English translation of the French saying.

"It is translated in my lexicon as f--- it," she said. The song, which Carlton played alone on the Mellotron, brought down the set's energy. She described the song as one that helped her get through a rough break up.

Curiously, she asked the audience if they were all Republicans. Before the crowd had a chance to answer, she said "never mind." Instead she spoke about how intolerance makes her "very upset."

"There are people in this room that are in love with others that your mother doesn't approve of," she said in introducing "Who's to Say."

Carlton's comfort level rose during the latter half of the show. The set list, shown below, showcased how her career has evolved. Many of the newer songs, such as "Nolita Fairytale," had more energy than the songs she wrote as a gangly teenager, like "A Thousand Miles."

Opener Graham Colton [ tickets ], perhaps best known for being Kelly Clarkson's ex-boyfriend, entertained the crowd with acoustic renditions of his songs. The boy-next-door look worked well for Colton, who said he rarely plays shows in which he's alone on stage with his acoustic guitar.

Set List:
"Nolita Fairytale"
"Hands on Me"
"Heroes and Thieves"
"Ordinary Day"
"This Time"
"My Best"
"C'est La Vie"
"Who's to Say"
"Winter"
"The One"
"White Houses"
"All is Well"
"Fools Like Me"
"Home"
"More than This"
"A Thousand Miles"

A review of the show. oh and "winter" is HAWBTW right?
hah, funny how this is basically just a copy of the set list... as we know she didn't do More than This and Winter is HAWBTW...

This is an interesting review... I think V was comfortable during the whole set...  and C'est La Vie is fine on the Rhodes (not Mellotron), i didn't think it brought anything down.  However when V played The One on the rhodes the following day in Vegas that was a little odd.

I also don't recall her "complaining" about Interscope but yea... there are so many other things inaccurate about this review that is probably another one :)
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Ivy Lynne

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - look+ivys+on
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2007, 12:14:51 am »
Quote from: "kaysha"
Nicole, Let and I are in AZ at the hotel getting ready for the show.

Let spoke w/ Brian and Ivy and they're at the venue and report that Vanessa is doing sound check.

:) :)

-katia

hahahah that we did ;)
...I see you now, at the show....
7TH IN THE 7TH ROW.

reveng_desire

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2007, 06:29:22 am »
His name is Skye.. it's funny because a friend of mine thought V said Scott at the AZ show too.. i think it was just poor enunciation.

Ohhhhhh.

Some girl kept yelling SCOTTY'S HOT!!! when we were waiting for V to come out to give autographs.

She did it like five times. It was kind of getting annoying.
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

KULPDOGG

• View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2007, 06:55:38 pm »
audio (from the videos posted, (thanks!))

All Is Well -- http://nolitafairytale.googlepages.com/VanessaCarlton-AllIsWellLive11-02-20.mp3

Hands On Me -- http://nolitafairytale.googlepages.com/VanessaCarlton-HandsOnMeLive11-02-20.mp3

Heroes & Thieves -- http://nolitafairytale.googlepages.com/VanessaCarlton-HeroesThievesLive11-0.mp3

Nolita Fairytale -- isn't loading right now, I'm having internet issues :/ grrr.
but as soon as I can, I'll get the audio from it and post it.

edit:
Nolita Fairytale --

editttt:
messed up Nolita Fairytale, have to do it over again

edit:
ok, fixed.
http://nolitafairytale.googlepages.com/VanessaCarlton-NolitaFairytale11-02-.mp3

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2007, 07:36:04 pm »
a lot of our pics from this show came out bad due to the fact that we couldn't use the flash...and the security guard at the front made sure of that...these are the good ones

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2007, 08:00:08 pm »
ooo nice pics :)

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Ugh
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2007, 08:12:33 pm »
Quote from: "reveng_desire"

Ohhhhhh.

Some girl kept yelling SCOTTY'S HOT!!! when we were waiting for V to come out to give autographs.

She did it like five times. It was kind of getting annoying.

Oh I know! he looked uncomfortable everytime she said it.

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...