Author Topic: 11/06/2007: Ivar Theatre - Hollywood, CA (review)  (Read 12172 times)

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
11/06/2007: Ivar Theatre - Hollywood, CA (review)
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:58:56 pm »
Set List:
Nolita Fairytale
Hands on Me
Heroes & Thieves
Ordinary Day
This Time
My Best

C'est La Vie
Who's To Say
Half a week before the winter

The One (on Rhodes)
White Houses
All is Well
Home

*encore*

A Thousand Miles
More Than This

No "Fools Like Me" tonight :( :(
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

colorblindjune

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - pandemoniack@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - color+blind+june
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - suparjay
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/starwind
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:04:40 am »
True story I was sitting there saying man I'd wish she'd play Best Behavior, no wait I'd she'd play superhero, wait no, all I ask.. wait EVEN STILL I'D WISH SHE'D PLAY ALL IS WELL. Cut to her talking about this song did not make the album, and I died. Haha.

It was so amazing; I had a great time. The only thing that irked me when I was buying a copy of the CD because I didn't bring it on the way here is some girls were talking about how they bought the CD the day it came out and how superior they are because they did. Giving others attitude. I wanted to flip out and say oh well do you have the demo tape, or the rinse album. Even still can you play most to all her songs on the piano. Haha, some people.

Otherwise I was captivated in awe though out every last song. I'm happy ATM was an encore.

I also was lucky enough to take a picture of her dog on my cell phone before it (my cell phone) died. Haha, good times was had.
Thank you girl wearing the grey A&F sweater who had a friend not making it thereby giving me a ticket to see Vanessa tonight. 11-6-2007

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:01:04 am »
hey

the way you wrote your sentence it almost seems like your cell phone wasn't what died.  or that could just be me :(

glad you had fun at the l.a. show!

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:02:02 am »
:( at no Fools Like Me.

Thanks for the review! :)
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

colorblindjune

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:12:22 am »
Quote from: "nicole"
the way you wrote your sentence it almost seems like your cell phone wasn't what died.  or that could just be me :(

There fixed just for you.
Thank you girl wearing the grey A&F sweater who had a friend not making it thereby giving me a ticket to see Vanessa tonight. 11-6-2007

Eepots

• AOL Instant Messenger - dpd5125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:45:09 am »
great show..

too bad no stevie nicks...  :cry:

she said next time though.

things i learned: c'est la vie written in france. about first break up. (well sort of knew but more clarity now)

My Best was second to last song written on the album. Thought this was interesting. Is More Than This her last song written or Nolita Fairytale?

She explained This Time was a healing song for her; it seems like this song was a vital part of her recovery from the bad label, hence probably she felt it is important to be on Heroes & Thieves.

She wrote Heroes & Thieves(song) mostly in her head before writing it all down.

General Thoughts:

Seeing her perform Who's To Say and HAWBTW makes me have much more respect for Harmonium and appreciate the technicality of it.

Live version of My Best impressed me, but she seem to struggle with the "chorus" part.

Violins are good.

She's saying More Than This is her fav. song off the album, wasn't she saying that Home was during the summer? I assume its because nobody knew what More Than This was..but maybe ther eis another explanation.

colorblindjune

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 09:18:09 am »
Quote from: "Eepots"

Live version of My Best impressed me, but she seem to struggle with the "chorus" part.

Violins are good.

I didn't know My Best had a mixture of Best Behavior in it. It barley dawned on me when she played the live version.

Violins are amazing. I wish I would have known when try outs were to be her violin player. I'd of done it I can actually play the violin. Haha.

(Sorry I keep posting, I'm bored at work haha.)

Eepots

• AOL Instant Messenger - dpd5125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 10:39:10 am »
Quote from: "colorblindjune"

Violins are good.

I didn't know My Best had a mixture of Best Behavior in it. It barley dawned on me when she played the live version.

Violins are amazing. I wish I would have known when try outs were to be her violin player. I'd of done it I can actually play the violin. Haha.

(Sorry I keep posting, I'm bored at work haha.)

Yah the violin really adds to the show. Violin with all is well blew my brains out. ha Now I really wished she had released a recording of it.

Yah I didn't notice Best Behavior at the show, but now that you mention, it is familiar.

Oh and during All Is Well, it sounded like she changed "me listen" to "I listen"..not sure if she did this awhile ago and I missed it here on the board or if I am hearing things.

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:52:52 am »
Oh and during All Is Well, it sounded like she changed "me listen" to "I listen"..not sure if she did this awhile ago and I missed it here on the board or if I am hearing things.
I noticed that as well.  I was also reading the lyrics while she was performing it and noticed a few other differences.  Maybe Let's audio will be clearer from one of the other shows and we can try to get the updated lyrics.

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 11:07:36 am »
Quote from: "colorblindjune"
Quote from: "nicole"

There fixed just for you.

:)

ILoveHanson

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HansonGirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 11:25:23 am »
she was incredible last night. i had to leave during white houses and i wanted to cry, but i had already missed 6 hanson songs and i was torn. at least i got to see most of her show. thank god i only missed 4 songs.
*Nicole*

I'm always on the move, my heart is always on the mend

www.twitter.com/hansongirl
www.last.fm/user/ILoveHanson

lover-guy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - xtremefffan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/7590876
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 01:09:29 pm »
out of all the shows i have seen i have to say that this one was the best, the place was very intimate, the songs were amazing, and the vibe was just great, and Skye what can i say the brother got down on the violin it really added to the tone of the songs. The best moment for me was when she played "more than this" because that is exactly how i felt at that moment when it was all over.

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 04:47:45 pm »
It was a great show. I only wish she would have done Twilight with the violin. It was great seeing Nicole, Kaysha, and Let again. I really liked the venue. Home was awesome especially with the ending from the album. The One was great on the Rhodes and by herself. My Best is so good live.

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 05:36:04 pm »
i have a video of all is well with pretty decent audio except my camera stopped recording at 3 minutes so theres a few seconds gap until i could press record again if anyone is interested i'll see if i can youtube it

i LOVED the show. the sound was great (Really rich & vibrant piano sound) and sky is an amazing violinist!

and victor paid us a little visit while i was waiting in line for the bathroom. some roadie guy was walking him around.. he's so cute with his tiny black bandana and doggie bone tag waddling around!

my pictures turned out pretty bad because of the fog.. so with flash it came out completely white and without flash came out all greyish.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

lavender skies

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 07:15:28 pm »
i think we would all love if you posted it.