Author Topic: Teen Killed Liked Vanessa  (Read 5463 times)

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Teen Killed Liked Vanessa
« on: December 07, 2007, 01:43:29 pm »
By KAREN KELLER
HERALD NEWS

CLIFTON -- His kidneys, lungs, liver and pancreas saved the lives of four people.

But the hospital couldn't find a home for the heart of 17-year-old Michael Hamade, despite keeping him on life support for two days for just that purpose, said the teenager's grandfather, William Kowal.

"I think God just wouldn't let the heart come out of Michael," Kowal said. His grandson was struck and killed on Route 46 by a car last Friday.

On Thursday, Michael and his heart were buried.

Dozens of teenagers, with excused absences from school, dressed in black to grieve for one of their own. About 400 people attended Michael's funeral, held at 10 a.m. at St. Andrew The Apostle R.C. Church, in the city's Athenia section.

Students said that Michael was well known at Clifton High School. Even with 3,400 students roaming the halls of the largest high school in New Jersey on a single campus, Michael stood out.

"Everyone knew him," said Robert Regazzi, a junior.

Several boys wore red Clifton sports jackets, some with a "lacrosse" emblem on the back -- a sport Michael used to play. A boy in a burgundy knit cap after the service solemnly distributed cigarettes outside to buddies, all clustered in a small circle in silence.

The youngest of four siblings, "Mikey" loved to fish, hunt, cook, make people laugh, and change his hair color and style. Recently it was a Beatles style, and before that, he tried to match his girlfriend's golden hair color, his brother, James, 18, said.

During the funeral, his siblings recalled their generous, hilarious baby brother.

"He would go fearlessly down the gigantic water slide over and over again," James said. "He'd come out with a huge wedgie. We'd call him 'sumo wrestler.' He didn't care. He just wanted to make us laugh."

Michael's sister, Jessica, 21, said he had saved for months to buy his girlfriend earrings for her birthday.

On the night of Nov. 30, Michael had just celebrated his girlfriend Natalia's, sweet-16 birthday party at her home. He drove on Route 46 eastbound with two passengers in his car. At 9:06 p.m. he made a right turn onto Vernon Avenue, said Capt. Robert Rowan, a police spokesman.

He drove over a curb, up a grassy slope and hit a wooden fence, said police Lt. John Link, the city's traffic commander.

But the accident was minor and no one was hurt, Rowan said.

At some point over the next hour, Rowan said, police arrived on the scene.

It was Friday night and police were delayed because they were stretched thin, he said. A police officer took Michael's information. Then the officer sat back in his car to write a report.

At 10:01 p.m., Michael was struck in the left lane, or the "fast lane" of the highway, Rowan said. The motorist who hit Michael had informed the officer, still in his car, of the accident, Rowan said.

Before Michael's funeral, his father said he faults the officer for not ensuring the safety of a minor. Rowan said the police generally try to "secure" accident scenes when they arrive, which sometimes involves the addition of lights and flares.

Rowan and Link -- who is heading an investigation of the accident -- said they couldn't confirm any further details of the accident. The Passaic County Prosecutor's Office is helping with the investigation, Link said. All traffic fatalities are investigated as a matter of course, he said.

Michael's father, Rocky, said his son had been talking to him on his cell phone when he was struck. The conversation ended in mid-sentence, he said.

Standing in the foyer of the funeral home, Rocky Hamade said his son had always been lucky. He used to catch the first fish on family fishing trips, even as a child with simple equipment.

His famous words were, "'I got another!'" his father said.

Michael's favorite song, several people said, was "White Houses," by Vanessa Carlton. He sang the song in a YouTube video, several people said.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkzNTcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcyMzA3OTUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkz

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 02:51:07 pm »
Thats so sad i feel so bad for him and the family and friends of his.    :(  its so terrible how things like these happen.....at least he is other peoples bodies and saving there lives. RIP Michael.    :cry:

LadyLavender

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 02:55:27 pm »
aw, that's horrible. it's so sad to hear about accidents like these.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 03:17:11 pm »
Nice song choice.

milla

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/millatraylen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:18:46 pm »
that sucks. poor family.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:23:15 pm »
ya thats really sad.

has anyoe found the video?

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

raacheeel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:12:18 am »
pray for the boy and his family.

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 09:13:31 am »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"
ya thats really sad.

has anyoe found the video?

I was trying to search for it but the guy probabley had a name like his name tingy was not his real name.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - deeperthansurface@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:19:47 am »
That is SO sad.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
I almost did cry when I read that.
I would be so sad if one of my siblings died.
Family is like, everything to me.
That's what she said.

Moogs21

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 01:02:40 pm »
That is really sad, but yay for him being an organ donater. At least some good comes out of tragedies then.

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - charmed.ashley@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 04:32:55 am »
how awful!!!
RIP  :cry:  :cry:

and everyone pray for him and his family.... :(  :(
http://allpoetry.com/fallengoddess - Check out my poetry and tell me what you think! Many thanks! -