Poll

Should creationism be banned from being taught in schools?

Yes, ban it!
11 (33.3%)
No, only creationism should be taught!
3 (9.1%)
Teach evolution and creationism! Woot for compromise.
11 (33.3%)
Hell, teach both and every other civilization's creation story!
8 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: January 03, 2008, 10:27:15 pm

Author Topic: Do you think creationism should be banned in schools?  (Read 9500 times)

Moogs21

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Do you think creationism should be banned in schools?
« on: January 03, 2008, 10:27:15 pm »
Today, I was watching ABC news and they were talking about banning schools from teaching about creationism and all the stuff that goes along with that.

I'm personally for banning it. I don't think that we should teach religious stories as scientific facts. Well, I guess I don't mind if evolution is also taught, then it's more fair. But then we should account for other religious and cultures and their creation stories (however similar or different). This most likely won't happen, and I sincerely doubt that they would cover all creation stories, and defiantly not with respect and sincerity that they deserve. I will vote for teach everything because I know that it would be a problem only teaching the two, because then you are excluding people who possibly have different beliefs! Actually, that would make an awesome class (I'm thinking college level though).

Also, what were you taught? I come from a small, conservative Christian farm town. I honestly don't remember being taught either way, but that's in part because everyone just ''knew'' that God created everything in 7 days.

Please don't start an immature fight, intelligent conversation is welcome from all sides!

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:37:15 pm »
Scopes Monkey Trial all over again.

I was taught Intelligent Design in school. It's what I believe and I'm all for it.

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:16:30 pm »
If you want to learn creationism, they should teach it at church. You shouldn't subject kids to learning religious ideology at a school. I have no problem with people believing whatever they want but don't force it onto anyone else. I'm not an atheist. I believe in God but I don't believe in organized religion.

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 03:44:24 pm »
I go to a public high school and we are just taught evolution. But at ccd its all like THEY ARE WRONG!!! lol its so funny but I mean if you go to a perocial (spelled wrong) school than yeah they should teach creationison. I just think they both have there place and should not cross.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

MyMelody

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 04:17:49 pm »
In biology class in high school they always prefaced the evolution unit with a class-long lecture about our "own opinions" and how if "anyone's uncomfortable we can find other options".

Someone being taught the theory of evolution is not the same as denouncing creationism. Kids need to learn that there are at least two sides to every issue. Who knows? Maybe they'll learn to think for themselves.

I'm all for banning creationism in the classroom entirely. I'm glad I wasn't raised in Kansas.

Suicidalboobs

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:05:28 pm »
I feel that those two are personal decisions to make, no? So why bring it into school. Let the family decide about it. School doesn't need to teach either one. If they taught one, it'd only be fair to teach the other as well. But that would be more work! I think it should be discussed among the family arrangement. Personally, I don't think that the sun and moon and earth all aligned by accident and that the complex precipitation system that sustains our planet was either.

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - deeperthansurface@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:59:47 am »
I am homeschooled, and we have a science textbook written by a Christian. However, he looks at both creation and evolution the same way to show the difference. With evolution, there are just too many questions. Suicidal is right in my opinion, everything natural of this world is way too complex to be an accident. Another good question I'd like to see answered is, if we evolved from lower life forms, why did we just stop here, at this stage?
That's what she said.

Suicidalboobs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:50:59 am »
Also true. And another point, Genisis 2:7 says that god formed the man our of dust, not out of a preexisting lifeform. Evolution is speculation.

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:50:25 am »
Quote from: "DeeperThanSurface"
I am homeschooled, and we have a science textbook written by a Christian. However, he looks at both creation and evolution the same way to show the difference. With evolution, there are just too many questions. Suicidal is right in my opinion, everything natural of this world is way too complex to be an accident. Another good question I'd like to see answered is, if we evolved from lower life forms, why did we just stop here, at this stage?

Actually, I can answer that question. we didn't just "stop" here. Evolution takes millions and millions of years to produce something radically different. Evolution is actually happening now as we speak, through interacial offsprings and constantly changing environments, humans learn to adapt to this new world either by modifying their morphological and/or psychologocial status and then pass that genetic trait to their child and then so on and so on until we see a dramatic change further down the road (like 2 million years later)...

heyheyitsaiste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 02:54:28 pm »
Are you serious? Please, unless you give me evidence provided by God himself, don't use some bible to prove that creationism is more true than evolution.

And just because evolution is complex and it is still being studied doesn't make creationism any more true. Creationism is more faulty then evolution.

I'm sure this guy who wrote your textbook is extremely biased towards creationism so I'm sure he isn't providing equal arguments.

I also don't think a 'family' should decide whether either of them is true. I think it's an individuals choice. The way parents force their kids to follow their religion and go to THEIR church is completely ridiculous.

I don't think creationism should be banned in schools because that would force certain books to be banned in school. I learned evolution in science and the basics of creationism through literature. However, I don't think a teacher should instill their beliefs into their students.

LimeTwister

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 03:26:54 pm »
My thought is this...evolution be taught in a science class and studies ABOUT (many different) relgions be taught in a history class...

Creationism is not science.

Suicidalboobs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 07:16:23 pm »
Well, if you do not beleive in the Bible (capatilized with respect towards others please), then surely you value the fossil record.The fossil record strongly indicates that the major kinds of plants and animals appeared abruptly and did not evolve into other kinds. Before the Cambrian period (about 540 million years ago) scientist expected to find the first ancestors of this supposed evolution but, did not find any (around 1959). In fact, those beds were barren almost of any evidence of life, such as flora.  So, obviously there was a sudden appearance of life. Some say it was because of lifted oxygen levels that organisms had that boost to evolve but, again, speculation.
   Look at human nature. It completely goes against darwin's theory of "survival of the fittest." The greatest proof lies in the fact that we actually have a spiritual side, as well as an appreciation for beauty and a desire to learn. We love and sacrifice things for other people. We feel compassion. These things are are not needed for survival, as evolution would teach.
   The only explanation that makes sense to me is that we were put here by someone who wanted us to enjoy life. Som intelligent designer. Thing is, I've looked at both sides. I'm familiar with Evolution, and I came to a logical conclusion. Aside from personal proof as well.

LimeTwister

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 08:36:10 pm »
It almost sounds like you're talking about Social Darwinsim, which wasn't what Darwin was really arguing.

And the idea of an after life was an effect of evolution.  The beginnings of religion are illustrated by early humans, potentially even neanderthals, intentionally burying the dead.

The humans' and chimpanzees' DNA sequence is 95% identicle. Other evidence of evolution comes from humans becoming bipedal and developing speech and exploring the advantages (and disadvantages) of bipedalism.

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - charmed.ashley@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:50:16 am »
I think both should be taught....or nothing at all....
Because it's not fair to teach abt creation only...because alot of people dont believe in that stuff...
And at the same it's not fair for the people who DO believe in 'creation' and have a religious background to be told in a way or another that what they believe in isnt true or important...hence they dont teach it in schools...

I think it's an all or nothing deal....

BTW i DO believe in CREATION :D :P
http://allpoetry.com/fallengoddess - Check out my poetry and tell me what you think! Many thanks! -

Zloska_of_yy

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - ernstkuiper@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yesteryearzloska
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 05:45:50 am »
Quote from: "Suicidalboobs"
Personally, I don't think that the sun and moon and earth all aligned by accident and that the complex precipitation system that sustains our planet was either.

I wonder what you mean when you say "by accident". It certainly was no accident that the sun and the moon and the earth aligned. Just by using simple physical processes you can explain why the Solar system looks the way it does. Also considering how many stars there are in the Universe or in the Milky Way alone (I'm an astrophysicist so bear with me) it is not very strange that a planet exists with the right characteristics for life.

To respond on the initial topic. In my opinion I think that creationism is not scientifically sound enough to be taught in school. This should be done in church. Not that it should be ignored all together but I believe a classroom isn;t the place for it.
"If it all went away, nothing left to say, oh would you fight it or would you lay down."