Author Topic: Oh, Vanessa  (Read 17482 times)

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 01:02:03 pm »
My life sucks right now, but I'm willing to root her on if I knew it was wanted or needed.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 03:25:06 pm »
Yes, thank you..and thats totally my point..there has been no appreciation shown at all...I mean half of the 'shows' shes played in last 6 months have been posted and 'dugg up' by board members prowling the internet looking for 'news'.  sad.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

shinesobright07

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - kami_lynn713@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 01:31:38 pm »
I say we work together and do something. Big. Something that has never happened before...major promotion... LOL imagine if we all stood outside her apartment singing her lyrics! Anway, I've read a few threads similar to this topic, and it all mentions the same thing. Not enough promotion/sales. Why doesn't she just do it; go mainstream with her music. I hear enough Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, Justin Timberlake. We need a new sound.. enough pop crap and time for real. Let others hear real soul and realize what music means. Accept different styles. Just go.

** Didn't mean to offend anyone in the mention of the celebrities above.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :o  :o   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 02:16:09 pm »
I don't think Vanessa really has as strong a fan base as Hanson does at all to keep her going. Hanson is going on 10-11 years now and they seem to continually appease their fans and I'm not sure I'd say the same for Vanessa. Maybe she should tour with them :)

And I like alot of Vanessa's music, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it has gotten progressively better as I'd expected when she first came out of the gate with Be Not Nobody. Alot of her lyrics (not all by any means) seem distant/too abstract to the general public or unrelatable. I mean, how many people were really going to relate to Nolita Fairytale in any specific way??? Then again, I have not been as enthusiastic about much music in general lately - could just be partially my own mood towards it.

But, to be honest, most people don't like her voice. My mom, who likes Vanessa, heard her newest album and said "Why does she sound even younger now? Isn't she almost 30?" I think her voice is cute, and I personally like it, but I'm not sure it *fits* with some of the songs she writes. I think a song like "More Than This" could be even better with maybe a bit more mature voice behind it.

I think she gave away some of her hidden agenda in one of her latest interviews where she talked about being a songwriter (for other artists) and a composer in the future. We'll see. I hope she continues making her own music though. I still like it better than alot of other crap out there.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 03:53:55 pm »
Quote from: "shinesobright07"
I say we work together and do something. Big. Something that has never happened before...major promotion... LOL imagine if we all stood outside her apartment singing her lyrics! Anway, I've read a few threads similar to this topic, and it all mentions the same thing. Not enough promotion/sales. Why doesn't she just do it; go mainstream with her music. I hear enough Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, Justin Timberlake. We need a new sound.. enough pop crap and time for real. Let others hear real soul and realize what music means. Accept different styles. Just go.

** Didn't mean to offend anyone in the mention of the celebrities above.

i totally agree and i think i found her apartment [i want trying to sound like a stalker, i was on frontdoor.com and saw an apartment that looked like the outside of hers.]

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :o  :o   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Twilight_Angel

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 07:45:42 am »
Personally, I found BNN really good and Harmonium incredible.

They were musically addictive and songs you never get bored of.

But H&T? Its really disappointing. Not her sound at all, its more mainstream but she should have stuck to her roots.
As long as she sells enough to keep going who cares about fame?

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 01:21:41 am »
Quote from: "Twilight_Angel"
Personally, I found BNN really good and Harmonium incredible.

They were musically addictive and songs you never get bored of.

But H&T? Its really disappointing. Not her sound at all, its more mainstream but she should have stuck to her roots.
As long as she sells enough to keep going who cares about fame?

THANKYOU!!
I know I'm not the only one who feels that way!
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2008, 11:30:11 am »
I like H&T, but I don't think it's a very cohesive album. The songs don't really go that well together in my opinion. It seems sort of thrown together. And I'm sure she'd have an explanation as to the song order and everything, and maybe lyrically it works, but the songs don't SOUND cohesive I guess. Idk.

I hope her next album will be a little bit more interesting. I am starting to feel a little bit like... yeah, she's done that before. A couple of the songs are different than anything else though (like Spring Street and More Than This)

Ryou-Neko

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - heavily_toasted_bread@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - damnedColonists
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wirelesswizarding
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carbon-arts.org
    • Email
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2008, 07:54:49 pm »
I liked Harmonium more, but I found Heroes & Thieves to be a much better album altogether.
Why don't you come on over? Stop making a fool out of me.

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - deeperthansurface@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 09:02:35 am »
I do like that all of her albums have a different kind of feel to them, musically. Because why would you want to waste your time putting the same music out on a different album(question mark goes here. it`s just not working for some reason)
Heroes and Thieves just strays a little bit farther from what you would usually like, perhaps.
That's what she said.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 06:52:49 am »
Quote from: "DeeperThanSurface"
I do like that all of her albums have a different kind of feel to them, musically. Because why would you want to waste your time putting the same music out on a different album(question mark goes here. it`s just not working for some reason)
Heroes and Thieves just strays a little bit farther from what you would usually like, perhaps.

I agree.

darkcarnival13

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Spaztasticgrl13
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 08:25:04 pm »
we all know, but lots of us don't really want to accept it.

but really, we don't want to see Vanessa go mainstream. We just want her to have another big hit like those off of BNN mainly because we all want her to be happy...
well, maybe that's not everyone's opinon, but that's certainly mine.

But i think she's just gonna keep doing her own thing. As long as she's happy, and she still makes music that i enjoy, i could care less if she was mainstream or not.
Want a garden by the ocean tide
but i lose my way, searching for stage lights....

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2008, 08:51:04 pm »
naive fool alert? yes.

i don't feel like she's happy? i don't know. the photos and the interviews - meager as they are - seem to show a discontent artist.

and ummm. i want her to have a big hit. i do.

i feel bad about wanting this, almost. because of course i don't want her to sell out. i don't want her to change her sound because of that; her sound is evolving just fine and i love it myself.

but i think that though she says she doesn't need another phenomenal smash like that - and i believe her - i think it wouldn't be unwelcome, either.

i want to be able to say yo guys, i'm a NESSAholic, and not have to explain what that is to my befuddled pals. haha. or no. i don't mind so much that, but when i say "vanessa carlton" i wish someone would say like, "i love that [insert non-ATM song] of hers." and no derisive laughs and "one-hit wonder" remarks.

not that i mind ATM being iconic, either. :]

ummm. yeah. i just think the v sound is so special. me wants to share with the world :]
formerly fish_for__stars.

SadAsBlue

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2008, 05:51:07 am »
i agree, she hasn't looked too happy in past few interviews :(
ENS

fairytales

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Oh, Vanessa
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2008, 10:00:12 am »
Quote from: "darkcarnival13"

But i think she's just gonna keep doing her own thing. As long as she's happy, and she still makes music that i enjoy, i could care less if she was mainstream or not.

i cant agree with u more... i think vanessa's happy in her own way. but ive heard of her that she doesnt care about the mainstream.. she knows that nolita fairytale wouldnt really relate to many cuz its about her...and thats what she really wanted... she just wanna share people how she does right now... and from hearing the song... u'll know she's sounding better... maybe she's not gonna be like before...yknow BIG....but we shouldnt stress about it... cuz we're still hearing her songs..and she's prolly making a new one...(how lucky we are) and that's all the matters...so what if not so many like it...? as long as u like vanessa then stay a fan....cuz even us could give her pressure...so pls, stop complaining of what she does and how she make differene in her music..keep it cool.. cuz thats v, that's how she likes it.. accept it or leave it.
--Funny how the things you need will find you
The things you want will leave you wanting some more
Everything that comes along reminds you
You can either rise above or you can hit the floor--