Author Topic: Beautiful French text translated into English  (Read 9576 times)

Potdconfitur'

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - Tiphaine_Huet@msn.com
    • View Profile
Beautiful French text translated into English
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:49:30 pm »
Hi everyone I'm a French fan and I'm new here. I wrote a text in French and then I translated it into English. It's about Ireland...
So here it is:

Une bouteille à la mer

Depuis la toute première fois que mes yeux se sont posés sur toi, tu as amené la joie dans mon cœur. Jamais je n'avais vu quelque chose d'aussi beau, cette émeraude parsemée de joyaux colorés sur cette mer calme. Ce ciel gris, ces collines vertes: tout était comme je l'avais imaginé, et pourtant si neuf. J'avais peur, je ne parlais pas ta langue, mais ton sourire, le bleu de tes yeux m'ont réconfortée.
Ces jours passés avec toi, je ne les ai jamais oubliés. Dès le moment où je t'ai quittée, tu me manquais, j'étais seule.
Alors, juste pour te revoir, j'ai volé par-delà la mer, et ce fut meilleur encore que dans mes rêves. Rieuse malgré tes larmes, lumineuse sous tes habits gris: un ange tombé du ciel, posé sur la mer. Je n'avais plus si peur de toi alors, et j'ai pu mieux t'entrevoir. Tu m'as réchauffé le cœur, tu m'as entraînée dans ta tourmente, mais surtout, tu as chanté pour moi. Jamais je n'avais entendu plus belle musique, mélancolique et enjouée, si fragile, si puissante. Mais je savais que j'allais de nouveau te quitter.
Toute une année, tu m'as manqué. Ta musique dans les oreilles, je traversais ma vie comme on traverse une nuit. Mais je savais qu'un jour, je te reverrais.
Alors je suis revenue te voir. Mais je ne comprenais plus si bien, avais-je oublié ta langue? Tes collines n'étaient plus si vertes, ton ciel était trop gris, le bleu de tes yeux même me semblait plus terne. Pourquoi m'as-tu renvoyée chez moi, pourquoi donc m'as-tu blessée? J'ai tant pleuré, je ne savais même plus si je t'aimais.
Mais une nuit, tu as de nouveau chanté pour moi, de nouveau, tu m'as enchantée. Je n'ai jamais rien entendu de si doux que ta voix! J'aime tant être si loin, si près de toi.
Ta tourmente, tes larmes, tu les oublies dans ta joie. Tu sais si bien égayer ta grisaille de tes parures colorées, et ton émeraude, je t'en supplie, ne les laisse pas la ternir! Je veux entendre ta voix apaiser mes nuits, je veux te jouer pour égayer mes jours, je veux te retrouver.

Je veux t'aimer

English translation

Message in a bottle

From the very first time I blessed my eyes on you, you brought joy into my heart. I had never seen anything so beautiful, this emerald sparkled with jewels amid this calm sea. This grey sky, those green rolling hills: this scenery was both so old and so new to me. I was so afraid, I didn't speak your language, but your smile and the blue in your eyes welcomed me a hundred thousand times.
I have never forgotten the days I spent with you. From the moment I left you, I missed you all along, I was alone.
So I flew across the sea just to see you again, and it was even better than in my dreams. Laughing in spite of your tears, glittering underneath your grey clothes - an angel fallen from the sky, set on the sea. I was not so afraid of you any longer, and I caught a better glimpse of you. You warmed my heart, you carried me away, dancing in your ceíli, and, above all, I heard your voice calling me. I had never heard such a beautiful music, melancholy and joyful, so fragile, so mighty. But I knew I would leave you once again.
I missed you a whole year. With your music in my ears, I went through my life as one goes through the night. But I knew someday I would see you again.
So I came back. But I couldn't understand so well. Had I lost your language? Your hills were not so green, your sky was too grey, even the blue in your eyes seemed dull to me. Why have you sent me back home, why have you injured me? I have cried for so long, I didn't even know if I loved you.
Still some night you sang for me again, once again, you thrilled me. I have never heard anything as sweet as your voice, I swear to you. I love being so close, so far away from you.
Your storms, your tears, you drown them in your joy of life. You know so well how to cheer your dullness up with your vivid finery, and I beg you, don't let them spoil your emerald! I want to hear your voice to pass my nights away, I want to play you to cheer my days up, I want to come back to you.

I want to love you.

I'd really really love to know what you guys think about it!
I found some kind of fairytale
A Nolita fairytale...

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - deeperthansurface@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:44:40 am »
Wow, that's really beautiful.
That's what she said.

Potdconfitur'

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:19:58 am »
thks  :lol:  :lol:
In fact I study English litterature at university though I still have a terrible accent when I open my mouth (but when I sing Vanessa's songs its ok  :D )
A Nolita fairytale...

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - charmed.ashley@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:38:51 am »
It's really beautiful
i feel it has more feeling and its nicer in French but in both languages its verryyy deep and beautiful!
http://allpoetry.com/fallengoddess - Check out my poetry and tell me what you think! Many thanks! -

davidjp

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • MSN Messenger - hon8888@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 07:25:51 am »
Wow, that was so heartwarming. I wish i could read French so i could read the French version of it. You should share more of your work.
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.

Potdconfitur'

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:49:57 am »
The thing is, I actually don't have another work to share  :wink:

@VanessaCarltonMania: tu sais parler français? (can you speak French?)
A Nolita fairytale...

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 12:10:59 pm »
Quote from: "Potdconfitur'"
The thing is, I actually don't have another work to share  :wink:

@VanessaCarltonMania: tu sais parler français? (can you speak French?)

oui :)

j'etudie la langue Francaise depuis que j'avais 9 ans :D

My spelling and "conjugaison" isnt that good because i never took the time to actually learn it the right way :lol: But i can understand all of it and  if i practiced my "conjugaison" and spelling...i culd be fluent(keyword: IF! LOL) :razz: :lol: :D
http://allpoetry.com/fallengoddess - Check out my poetry and tell me what you think! Many thanks! -

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Re: Beautiful French text translated into English
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:54:36 pm »

Your storms, your tears, you drown them in your joy of life.

Very evocative piece Tiphaine. The pick of your prose for mine is that I've
quoted above. The celtic culture must have made an impression on you. I
like your reference to Ceíli (Céili). These gatherings have doubtless helped
preserve celtic heritage, and keep the sense of identiy for gaelic-speaking
communities in rural areas especially. Your quote would look great in a sig

Peace

Aaron

Potdconfitur'

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 11:31:08 pm »
@VanessaCarltonMania: where have you learnt French, is it at school?

@NESSAussie: whoaaaa this picture is soooooo beautiful! can you tell me what's a "sig"?
Unfortunately I think Gaelic language is on its way to death   :cry:  :cry:
A Nolita fairytale...

Potdconfitur'

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 11:31:40 pm »
Aaron is the name of a British singer, he sings "U turn": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRh0PlWB6g

d'you like him?
A Nolita fairytale...

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 12:33:25 am »
@VanessaCarltonMania: where have you learnt French, is it at school?

yes, in school.
In Lebanon almost all schools teach Arabic AND French...in my school we learn Arabic,French and English at the same level...

We used to use French books imported from France. But they changed the curriculum and now they are made in Lebanon.
But we still have high level of French :D

I only wish i took it more seriously when I was younger and we learned the basics....because now i know how to speak French....but I am so shy and embarrassed because i ALWAYS make grammar mistakes! LOL
 :oops:  :oops:  :lol:

Potdconfitur'

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 12:54:45 am »
You know it's the same for me...I feel really awkward when I speak English because my accent's not good...

But your French looks ok, you don't have to be embarrassed...you're lucky to  be able to speak 3 languages  :D  :D
So let's speak French:

alors tu viens du Liban? j'ai une amie qui est à moitié libanaise. Il parait qu'il y a eu la guerre là bas en 2006?
A Nolita fairytale...

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 01:20:53 am »
You know it's the same for me...I feel really awkward when I speak English because my accent's not good...

But your French looks ok, you don't have to be embarrassed...you're lucky to  be able to speak 3 languages  :D  :D
So let's speak French:

alors tu viens du Liban? j'ai une amie qui est à moitié libanaise. Il parait qu'il y a eu la guerre là bas en 2006?

Oui, il y avait la guerre en 2006, mais j'etais aux Etats-Unis avec ma famille. Et maintenant, la situation n'est pas tres stable.

Je suis à moitié  Americaine aussi.

(i made me friend correct this for me first...but it was mostly right! LOL )

Potdconfitur'

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 01:36:42 am »
tu voyages beaucoup dis donc! c'est comment les Etats-Unis?
(toi et ton amie vous parlez très bien français/you and your friend are speaking really good French)

I know a few words in Arabic: "salamalikoum", which means "hello" doesn't it?
And "bakschich", which in French would mean something like "pourboire" (I heard that in Egypt)
A Nolita fairytale...

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 04:55:44 am »
Aaron is the name of a British singer, he sings "U turn": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRh0PlWB6g

d'you like him?

Whoa! Coldplay move over AaRON is here lol! Really cool track. What's the
title of the French film this is from the soundtrack of? I'm quite intrigued :?

NESSAussie: whoaaaa this picture is soooooo beautiful! can you tell me what's a "sig"?
Unfortunately I think Gaelic language is on its way to death :( :(

There's a whole bunch more at the pages that come up if you click on the
picture (taken in Kilkenny). A sig(nature) is what you don't already have -
Just a banner that appears at the foot of your post and can be animated

If you find a picture of the Irish landscape at that link you would like made
into a "sig", let me know and I'll make one with Corel Photo Paint & Adobe
PSE. Let me know if you want French & English on it (i.e. a quote from the
piece you've posted here), and for that matter anything else like the font/s
you want me to use and the colours you want, like the unicorn emblem lol!

Peace

Aaron