Author Topic: What's with all the short hair haters!?  (Read 12886 times)

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
What's with all the short hair haters!?
« on: October 04, 2008, 09:53:40 pm »
I have fairly long hair, but have had it cut short in the past- a feminine cut, like Keira Knightley had hers for the movie Domino, not a boyish style.

I'm thinking about cutting it short again because I like it, and so does my boyfriend. He actually prefers short hair, as long as it's a good style that suits girls. I'm a bit indecisive though as it takes a long long time to grow back, so I asked myspace friends their opinion (and I posted a pic here a few years back too). I got a lot of negative responses, mostly from guys! I don't understand. They act as if girls with short hair are ugly, which is definitely not the case- there are plenty of ladies who look gorgeous with short hair (like Keira Knightley). Their comments will definitely not stop me from getting it cut if I decide that's what I want to do, but it's a bit disheartening...

I'm interested to see what you think about the topic.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:29:14 pm »
i really think if you have the right facial structure, you should do it. lots of girls look good with short hair, and then some not so much. i know this one girl who had great hair when it was long, and it caught on fire, and its short and it looks great. when i modeled there were 2 girls who got their hair cut short, one already had it short, the other didn't, but they both turned out great.

its just hair, it'll grow back. :)

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:46:49 pm »
Quote from: "iluvvanessa"
i really think if you have the right facial structure, you should do it. lots of girls look good with short hair, and then some not so much. i know this one girl who had great hair when it was long, and it caught on fire, and its short and it looks great. when i modeled there were 2 girls who got their hair cut short, one already had it short, the other didn't, but they both turned out great.

its just hair, it'll grow back. :)

Her hair caught on fire!? That's awful! Was the rest of her ok? But if that hadn't have happened, she may never have tried a new style.
Yeh I agree you have to choose a style that will suit your face shape, but that applies to long styles as well, and for guys as well as girls. I think girls and guys can look great with short and long hair; it's not like I base someone's attractiveness on their hair unless they have a really unflattering style that draws attention away from their other features.
-CONFUCIUS

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:03:11 pm »
ya, idk exactly how it happened, but the rest is fine. :)

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:41:51 am »
I think it really depends on the face.  Some of the most beautiful girls in the world almost look better with super-short hair because it shows off their faces.  

Personally I cannot pull off short hair, but I prefer mine long anyway.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 01:46:40 pm »
Their was a russian chick(foriegn exchange student russian) in college that I used to drool over that had short hair.  I also had a gf that had short hair.  I think it based on the style and if the style suits you or not, but it should definantly be feminine.

It depends on how feminine a face you have I think.

zurielshimon

• AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 05:43:21 pm »
don't really hate short hair, but I just think that at least 68% of girls and women don't look their best with it. I have seen a few really cute short haircuts, but it just looks wrong on most.
Dustin

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:30:03 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
don't really hate short hair, but I just think that at least 68% of girls and women don't look their best with it. I have seen a few really cute short haircuts, but it just looks wrong on most.

:2guns:
If i remember correctly, you made a comment about me when I first posted my pic here that wasn't complimentary... (a long time ago, something about not liking short hair on women) so I guess you must think I look "wrong".  Oh well, every person has their own opinion. Someone out there probably thinks you look wrong. Someone would think Vanessa looks wrong even though us fans in general think she looks wonderful.
-CONFUCIUS

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:22:26 am »
Quote from: "MeganJane"

:2guns:
If i remember correctly, you made a comment about me when I first posted my pic here that wasn't complimentary... (a long time ago, something about not liking short hair on women) so I guess you must think I look "wrong".  Oh well, every person has their own opinion. Someone out there probably thinks you look wrong. Someone would think Vanessa looks wrong even though us fans in general think she looks wonderful.

I may have said that.  Most of the time it does look wrong.  Maybe at the time I just thought you would've looked better with it a little longer.  Maybe I was ill that day.  Either way, I certainly didn't mean to bash you.  And you're right, someone probably does think I look wrong.  They haven't told me directly, but I'm sure everybody looks wrong to someone, as if there is something about every person that someone out there would like to change.  Whether or not it's their business, I can't say.  Most of the time it's probably not, but then people do ask for opinions and comments sometimes.

I'll admit that I'm a long-hair fan myself.  I may not be able to pin down exactly why, but I do find it (generally) more attractive and pleasant to look at.  But maybe it doesn't matter to most people what I think.  I'm sure you're not trying to impress me, so you certainly shouldn't let what I say get in your way.  But I am sorry if I sounded rude or disdainful with my first comment all that time ago.
Dustin

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 01:40:55 pm »
To each his own.  Ya know, lots of people don't realize how absolutely gorgeous Vanessa is.  Nobody I know seems to think she's as stunning as I do.  But honestly, I think even V is someone who wouldn't look great with really short hair.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:22:52 pm »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
To each his own.  Ya know, lots of people don't realize how absolutely gorgeous Vanessa is.  Nobody I know seems to think she's as stunning as I do.  But honestly, I think even V is someone who wouldn't look great with really short hair.

I haven't seen her with short hair, so I don't know, maybe it would look good.
Photoshop, anyone?  :wink:

Actually I think Vanessa looks unusual (in a beautiful way... I mean she looks unique)... I think maybe lots of people think of beauty in very conventional terms and don't see the beauty in people who look unusual even though many other people think unusual people are the most beautiful, and the most interesting to look at.
(I don't mean that people who don't look unusual are not beautiful or interesting.... I hope this makes sense)
-CONFUCIUS

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 09:29:21 pm »
I understand completely.  I know a few girls who really don't look anything out of the ordinary, but there's just a beauty about them I can't deny.  I can't imagine Vanessa with short hair myself.  That is something someone would have to show me.  I'm not sure how she'd look, having never seen her that way, but I have to admit I'll have a decided prejudice against it at least until I do.  I also can't really imagine Shannon with short hair, at least no shorter than maybe right at or right above the collarbone, and fluffed out a little.  Though that would be cute, but I love her long hair, and I think it really suits her face.
Dustin

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 01:36:18 am »
I understand completely.  I know a few girls who really don't look anything out of the ordinary, but there's just a beauty about them I can't deny.

Do you mean that you prefer people who have a "conventional" look then? (ie. not "out of the ordinary")
I'm a bit confused
-CONFUCIUS

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 04:48:42 pm »
Some people pull it off well, others may not. I have curly hair but its not that bad where I straighten it and you can see a wave, I can do both well. I just can't pull off short hair because days when I don't feel like straightening it (at least an hour) I leave it down and it gets really curly and it makes me look and feel like a little girl (curly sue/shirley temple). I'm no hater!

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »
Just to prove my point, here is a page with a picture of a girl (I have no idea who she is) who looks really cute with really short hair:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1364322&page=12&pp=15
Dustin