Author Topic: Tall Tales for Spring; Waltz  (Read 27641 times)

afterglow987

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tall Tales for Spring; Waltz
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 02:21:29 pm »
I think in the last verse she sings. Time turns for someway out of this mess. its kinda the same as the first verse maybe? :)

Star7

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 04:39:18 pm »
This song has officially reignited my passion/(obsession,lol) for Vanessa's music. :)

ryan9315

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 10:09:00 pm »
Completely agree. I have a good feeling about this one guys... :)

So does anyone have an overall interpretation of this song's meaning? I'm loving the lyrics, just wish I knew more about what they mean

I may be completely off on this, but I get some sort of religion feel to this. I'll explain why:

God rest his head Sunday afternoon
And the wicked in me is surely the wicked in you

Typically, people go to church on Sunday's. It's a Holy day. The second line to me makes me think of some people who go to Church on Sundays and act like a good person that day, but for the rest of the week, they do all these bad things, whatever they maybe.

And Hawking will tell us no tall tales this spring
When mine's all the chaos that started everything
And maybe it's faith, when the sadness takes hold

When I think of the spring, I think of lent. I don't know how that would have to do with tall tales though. The second part I'm not sure what it means, but I think the word faith makes me believe it's another religion thing. Also because she says cathedral later on.

I could be totally off though. This song is way too beautifully complex.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 03:15:15 am »

So does anyone have an overall interpretation of this song's meaning? I'm loving the lyrics, just wish I knew more about what they mean

I may be completely off on this, but I get some sort of religion feel to this. I'll explain why:

Typically, people go to church on Sunday's. It's a Holy day. The second line to me makes me think of some people who go to Church on Sundays and act like a good person that day, but for the rest of the week, they do all these bad things, whatever they maybe.

And maybe it's faith, when the sadness takes hold

When I think of the spring, I think of lent. I don't know how that would have to do with tall tales though. The second part I'm not sure what it means, but I think the word faith makes me believe it's another religion thing. Also because she says cathedral later on.

I could be totally off though. This song is way too beautifully complex.

totally a song about faith and questions that arise with them.  I think Tall tales have EVERYTHING to do with religion (any religion).  I love the line about the scientists madness.  Makes me think back to history when people were thought of as heretics because they thought the earth was round!  I have more to add but I'm at work and cannot indulge. I also need to think about it more!
~Sara~

bumblebee429

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 02:36:27 am »
This song has officially reignited my passion/(obsession,lol) for Vanessa's music. :)

I know. Out of all of the "new" (I know it's not technically new, but off the new album) songs, this one is possibly my favourite.
I love all the songs, but this is the one that I can't get out of my head.

I can understand why she originally called the album "Tall Tales For Spring" - this song is just magnificent.

Sarah

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:01 am »
I love the drums. It makes it more powerful.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 06:49:53 pm »

In the bible, God created the world in 6 days and on the 7th day he rested. I assume that's what she means by that lyric in a literal sense, but you never know if there's a double meaning! I think the next line would be about how everyone is part of the human condition so our feelings are all sort of the same as each other's in a broad sense-- the reason why we can "relate" to other people, etc.

Great song. Musically, and maybe lyrically my favorite so far!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:53:44 pm by NoelleNC »

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 04:03:08 am »
I know. Out of all of the "new" (I know it's not technically new, but off the new album) songs, this one is possibly my favourite.
I love all the songs, but this is the one that I can't get out of my head.

I can understand why she originally called the album "Tall Tales For Spring" - this song is just magnificent.

Sarah

The subject matter that inspired this song poses as many questions as it answers. I think that's what V wanted to endear to this composition - an
attempt to understand things without a unified theory :-* Tall Tales for Spring is a reminds us how much there is that resists a single explanation!

Peace

Aaron
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:04:55 am by NESSAussie »

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2011, 09:50:03 am »
And maybe it's faith, when the sadness takes hold (quote)

I'm thinking it's:
Our minds hold the chaos that started everything

which makes more sense to me because we are part of the universe and are created from the same matter that the universe was created from, so it stands to reason that somewhere in us, we know the true answers to all the questions about creation/the universe.  that from chaos came order and inside of us is also the chaos from which the universe was created.  Just a theory!  Also, I hear fate rather than faith...but I know my ears aren't the best, so I'm not the authority on anything hehe :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:52:49 am by sarab »
~Sara~

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 10:25:57 am »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's "our minds hold the chaos..." :)

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2011, 11:39:41 am »
And maybe it's faith, when the sadness takes hold (quote)

I'm thinking it's:
Our minds hold the chaos that started everything

which makes more sense to me because we are part of the universe and are created from the same matter that the universe was created from, so it stands to reason that somewhere in us, we know the true answers to all the questions about creation/the universe.  that from chaos came order and inside of us is also the chaos from which the universe was created.  Just a theory!  Also, I hear fate rather than faith...but I know my ears aren't the best, so I'm not the authority on anything hehe :)
Ha. I was just about to mention this... But yeah... Everything is created from chaos. That theory is just beautiful.

What I do love about this song though is that she doesn't seem to be officially condemning religion or worship or anything of that sort.

I have this belief that religion is sometimes the purest form of LOVE. Where we believe in  something that we have never seen and are sometimes willing to die for it (refer religious extremists) and that is an example of pure LOVE. Where you are willing to believe that person without questioning or doubting him/her.

She calls it "Madness of the HEART" aka a LOVE so pure, even though we secretly know it doesn't make any sense.

This song is just poetry.

LOVE it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:44:30 am by joey »
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 04:09:37 pm »
It just dawned on me (hadn't really thought about it before) that the lyric, "stars through a window, will they ever know this madness" is probably talking about stars/planets within other galaxies and wondering whether they have life, madness of the heart, etc, too. Makes me like the song even more if that's true, it is one of those things I wonder about when I look at the stars too :)

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:33 pm »
I'm really drawn to the word "cathedral" in the bridge. Makes me think of religion, and how science has conflicted with religion for centuries. This is why Vanessa is desperately needed in this music industry: she makes you think! : )

raacheeel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 11:17:19 pm »
^LOL i second that. But for me "cathedral" reminds me of my high school because it was cathedral catholic hs.
oh and idk the more i listen to it i get kinda scared lol

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 11:50:25 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBUdhjg11Xo

i wanted to see if there was anything on youtube of vanessa singing with deer tick and found this.  I don't remember anyone mentioning it before, just another video of the song with john from deer tick and a little more info on the song.
~Sara~