Author Topic: Fairweather Friend (lyrics & your thoughts)  (Read 68337 times)

SilverIchor

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Who'd hear of brave deeds when he's ashamed of his
    • View Profile
Re: Fairweather Friend (lyrics & your thoughts)
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2011, 07:31:09 am »
Yeah, I'm hearing sharp eyes as well.
"Sometimes, even strength has to bow down to wisdom" - Rick Riordan

bumblebee429

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2011, 06:29:05 am »
I know this song isn't "new"... but wow, it just hit me what a beautiful song it is!

Sarah xx

matchel

• Willing and Able to... Run
  • Magical thinking gets us by
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2011, 06:26:14 pm »
IT's probably my favorite song off ROTR. Although, I am sad about some of the changes. The "gotta get by" part was sooo good.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
Re: Fairweather Friends (lyrics & your thoughts)
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2011, 05:21:23 pm »
This is the only song I've heard so far that doesn't do it for me. I don't know why, I just can't seem to get into it and it seems disjointed to me lyrically. Maybe it will grow on me, who knows.

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:33 pm »
Okay.. So I get the full meaning of the song

My only question is WTH is a Fairweather friend?
Someone who is only with you in the good times?

:-[

no hablar mucho ingles :P

lavender skies

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2011, 05:52:52 pm »
I just listened to the Hollywood Cafe version of this song for the first time in forever, and while I like the lyric changes, she had so much passion in her voice in that version, and I miss it

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2011, 06:24:48 pm »
Okay.. So I get the full meaning of the song

My only question is WTH is a Fairweather friend?
Someone who is only with you in the good times?

:-[

no hablar mucho ingles :P

pretty much. 
~Sara~

matchel

• Willing and Able to... Run
  • Magical thinking gets us by
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2011, 07:06:42 pm »
As previously mentioned, I love this song. But something really bothers me about the studio version. In the first verse, it just feels unnatural to have the guitar strums lead into the short piano bridge. Also, I feel like the chords don't match up evenly; the guitar seems to come in a fraction late after the piano chords kick in. Being both a guitarist and pianist, I feel like the first verse could have been arranged more artistically. From second verse on, however, flawless. :)

raacheeel

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2011, 01:54:39 am »
where can i find the older version of Fairweather friend and Hands on me? :O can't find it with the original original lyrics. :/

aaaaand can anyone tell me what she meant by "You sing for the after show, those candy colored lips
But your age is showing, and you gotta work harder for it"

Thanks!  :)

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2011, 12:15:54 pm »
where can i find the older version of Fairweather friend and Hands on me? :O can't find it with the original original lyrics. :/

aaaaand can anyone tell me what she meant by "You sing for the after show, those candy colored lips

Thanks!  :)

Said person "entertains" girls, young girls preferably barely legal, as freshmen in college are usually 18-19, after a concert.  The age is showing part could be because he is aging and not as attractive to younger girls, or that there are younger men to compete with in the music world (going on the assumption this is about Stephen)  so he's got to work harder for their attention.  Also, the band is older not as mainstream (though they have a very large loyal fan base) so they have to work harder for that.  Also, if we go a different route, he's got to work harder to maintain his boner because he's old. ha! Half joking on that one.
~Sara~

raacheeel

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »

Thanks!  :)

LMAO wow yes that's a big fuck you to SJ haha

thanks for the interpretation :)

Said person "entertains" girls, young girls preferably barely legal, as freshmen in college are usually 18-19, after a concert.  The age is showing part could be because he is aging and not as attractive to younger girls, or that there are younger men to compete with in the music world (going on the assumption this is about Stephen)  so he's got to work harder for their attention.  Also, the band is older not as mainstream (though they have a very large loyal fan base) so they have to work harder for that.  Also, if we go a different route, he's got to work harder to maintain his boner because he's old. ha! Half joking on that one.

lol thanks! LMAO at " Also, if we go a different route, he's got to work harder to maintain his boner because he's old. ha! Half joking on that one."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:12:29 am by raacheeel »

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2011, 07:27:40 am »
what is the meaning of ' magical thinking ' I saw a video where Vanessa is explaining it but cant find it.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:41 am »
what is the meaning of ' magical thinking ' I saw a video where Vanessa is explaining it but cant find it.

The Year of Magical Thinking is a book by Joan Didion about grief and getting through a great loss.
I think magical thinking itself has to do with the brain and that we have these neural pathways that we use over and over in the way of our thinking so that if start to think in a different way we create a new pathway in the brain.  If you think it over and over then it becomes a new neural pathway.  I think.
~Sara~

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2011, 08:46:32 am »

The Year of Magical Thinking is a book by Joan Didion about grief and getting through a great loss.
I think magical thinking itself has to do with the brain and that we have these neural pathways that we use over and over in the way of our thinking so that if start to think in a different way we create a new pathway in the brain.  If you think it over and over then it becomes a new neural pathway.  I think.
Yea it's like telling yourself everything is ok even if it isn't but because you've told yourself over and over, you actually start to believe it.
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

KULPDOGG

• View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2011, 12:32:53 pm »

used in this song, I believe it's referring to either not being able to stop loving someone anymore, even though you want to

or... just your mind's way of telling yourself that everything is ok, ~he's still a great guy even though he did all these terrible things, our relationship can still last if we both want it to because i still love him dammit.
he didn't really mean to hurt me when he cheated on me, I didn't really mean to cheat on him, our relationship totally isn't falling apart, we'll get though this, everything is ok......
=P lol

Vanessa has said about this song "I don't want to feel that way anymore"
making magical thinking in the case of this song... a bad thing. In terms of healthy relationships.