Author Topic: Label?  (Read 3849 times)

Fear 2 Stop

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Fear 2 Stop
Label?
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:52 pm »
Was Vanessa dropped by Gotti's label? I haven't posted here in a few years, and haven't heard anything, but was wondering why her site consists of nothing more than a red screen right now.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Re: Label?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:37:51 am »
I heard through the grapevine that she wasn't dropped, but she requested to leave and that she was "seriously pissed" about the lack of promotion & support.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25:51 am »
Nobody knows anything at this point.  We believe she has 'parted ways' with the Inc/Universal because of an article that popped up the last couple months.  I don't know what kind of deal she signed with them....hopefully it was 'album to album' that way shes not stuck.

I don't think Inc/Universal was that bad, I mean they did give her more than A&M did, they gave her a second single, 2 music videos, a Khol's spot, multiple tv shows used music from h&t, tv show performances, etc....in my personal opinion, I just think Nolita wasn't a good lead-off single...the song wasn't very relatible, unless you live in Nolia haha......Hands On Me probably would have been a better 'comeback' single...

I think it was silly and unprofessional for her to sign with Universal/Inc. so quickly after she got dropped from A&M.  Harmonium was a great record and with a little more promo and a second single, I think it would have done it some justice number wise.  The music industry has changed, labels are buying other labels, etc....people are not buying the music the way they were 7-10 years ago...hopefully she doesn't sign with another major for the release of her next 'project' whenever that is.....3 labels with only 4 albums is BAD!  Just go indie...but it's going to require a little more hands on work on her part.

When it comes down too it, it's about numbers, and if the numbers are not what the label was expecting, it becomes a problem for both the label and the artist.  She'd be soooo much better off indie...it's not 2002 anymore.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:36:26 am by nutnlp »
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

HippieSongBird

• I can't tell them apart anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:26 pm »
Yeah I think she should go indie as well. With iTunes, MySpace, Amazon and everything else out there she shouldn't need a label. Plus she already has a supportive fan base.;) And she deserves to have full creative responsibilty, she's an amazing mind.
I was stained by a role in a day not my own,
cause I've seen Twilight.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:37:54 am »
For not updating her Myspace much, she sure as hell gets TONS of plays.  It's amazing...I could only imagine with a really driven internet campaign...she could make well for herself on the internet/itunes front.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

HippieSongBird

• I can't tell them apart anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:02:24 am »
For not updating her Myspace much, she sure as hell gets TONS of plays.  It's amazing...I could only imagine with a really driven internet campaign...she could make well for herself on the internet/itunes front.
For sure
I was stained by a role in a day not my own,
cause I've seen Twilight.

SylvanHistorian30

• Willing and Able to... Run
  • All I Seem to Feel is Light . . .
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - earl_dominic_18
    • View Profile
    • bishop-myriel43 on deviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 07:29:04 am »
Yeah I think she should go indie as well. With iTunes, MySpace, Amazon and everything else out there she shouldn't need a label. Plus she already has a supportive fan base.;) And she deserves to have full creative responsibilty, she's an amazing mind.
Yeah, maybe she should go indie. Sounds like a good idea. She is, after all, a free spirit, and in my experience, free spirits don't react too well to people who boss them around, they work better alone or with a little help from friends. And, definitely, her very loyal and supportive fanbase (e.g. us) will be there to support.
Miracles DO happen! =)

View my literary works:
http://bishop-myriel43.deviantart.com/

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:12:15 am »
im just shocked that she doesn't realize YET that these long pregnant pauses really do damage you somewhat.  yes, i am here for the music(and mannn am i feining for something new even though it hasn't even been 2 years yet) but keeping a close contact with the people that buy your records is important especially now in a digital world...it's a little offensive when we only get updates when theres something to purchase ya know?  i know she isn't tech savvy but it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes.  really.  uhmmmm...i feel like im repeating tons of other people have said on these boards...just miss her online presence/blogging, that's all. :)

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:48:33 am »
I think she's totally gonna go indie.
It's right up her ally, and that crowd loves her.

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:59:53 am »
everyone is doing in indie nowadays since it is becoming harder and harder to make a living thru music.  i feel so bad for up-and-coming that haven't established fanbases yet, it's getting harder and harder...things are a lot of hands on in the indie world and these long pauses between updates and lack of them, wouldn't do her any good.  most independent bands/artists have a very close connection with their key fanbase....weather it thru myspace/twitter/a fanclub or a forum.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:53:09 am »
Well, from what I've heard it sounds like she hasn't signed to a label yet. So I'm guessing she's getting this album finished before she starts looking for a label - smart move!

And apparently, she's thinking of going indie which is great.