Author Topic: Re: 08.05.09- The Americana at Glendale, CA (review)  (Read 14537 times)

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
Re: 08.05.09- The Americana at Glendale, CA (review)
« on: August 05, 2009, 10:13:11 pm »
I just got back from the show. Luckily they let me into the VIP area so I got some decent video of the whole show. I'll edit and upload what I have to YouTube tomorrow. I wish I would have seen the other NESSAholics but was too late to look around
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:13:32 am by eclv »

vcfan

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: August 5, 2009- The Americana at Glendale, CA
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:46 pm »
They let you in the VIP area? I was so pissed I couldn't see over the heads of all those people. I was directly behind the sound guys and could either see Vanessa's forehead or the back of her head depending on which way I tried to peek over the guys.

She did a longer set than I was expecting... from the best of my memory (I might get the order wrong):

Nolita Fairytale
Hands On Me
Ordinary Day
White Houses
Half A Week Before The Winter
Heroes and Thieves
Who's To Say
A Thousand Miles
"encore" - Home

I think that's it? I put encore in quotes because she said it was an encore, but she didn't feel like leaving and coming back because that's awkward haha.

My favorite part was when she was talking about Home and she said that "this feels more like home than my actual home". I LOVE HER.

ps. I was really annoyed because I wasn't in the front and everyone around me clearly didn't know any other songs but ATM and Ordinary Day... and when I was singing along to the other songs, they were kinda mocking them.

All in all I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy I got to see her again. and I don't know if this was already discussed...? but she said she's currently working on a 4th album!!! yayyyyyyyyyyyy! :) :) :)

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 11:54:55 pm »
I just got back from the show. Luckily they let me into the VIP area so I got some decent video of the whole show. I'll edit and upload what I have to YouTube tomorrow. I wish I would have seen the other NESSAholics but was too late to look around

awesome!!!! thanks :D I'm excited

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:42 am »
Thanks for the info. Still so disappointed, but not surprised that we didn't get any info on this and had rely on other Nh's.

What can you tell me about this venue? Is it just a park with a stage and you lay out a blanket? I need more info before I decide to go.

I'll check out the link.

Bitch... please... like you seriously were not going to go!? 

This show will always stand out to me.  It was super special to me because my family came with Let and I.  My little brother and two younger cousins.  Its always wonderful to expose more people... especially those close to you... to an amazing artist.  Holly and Jessica met up with us as well!  We love our girls.  We missed Stephanie.  I'm gonna spank her next time I see her.  Also... Natatlie!  Sad  I missed you!  Miss Carlton always pleases my soul.  She played longer than we expected.  It felt short to me, but that is because I can never get enough.   The set up was not catered towards the fans.  The reserved seating was for people who invested 100,000 or more to the property.  Luckily... Let made it happen.  We heard some people who waited got in.  We didn't wait cause I was told there was no chance (so I got to drinking!).  Good job, Let!  So happy to have seen Vanessa tonight!  I missed her and I am waiting for tour time!  Let's do it!

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: August 5, 2009- The Americana at Glendale, CA (review)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:24:52 am »
Yeah, yeah. Of course I was there.

It was a bust when we were told that it was reserved and we would be way in the back. Drinks with dear friends of 7 years all because of V is always fun. We missed the first few seconds of NF because we were having too much fun. It was great that we were able to get in the VIP area. Not the best spot but it was cool minus all the loud ass people who don't know that at concerts you listen, not talk. I was very happy that she came back out to greet with fans. However, I totally forgot to wish her an early happy birthday. I feel really bad. Sorry.

I only got two videos and only one up so far. It's almost 2:30 and I have to be up at 6 for my flight at 7:30, then work at 2pm. I think I can work in a nap before that. The things we do for V! Totally worth it and we'll keep on being there for her!

Setlist:

Nolita Fairytale
Hands On Me
White Houses
Heroes and Thieves
Who's To Say
Ordinary Day
Half A Week Before The Winter
A Thousand Miles

Home

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:47:37 pm by eclv »

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:36:01 am »
i was at the side of the stage for the entire show.  the lighting was beautiful and she sounded great.  i have to admit it gets really annoying listening to people anticipating atm the whole damn show, and then leaving once it's done..i was hoping she would skip it all together like she did at the hotel cafe a couple months ago but this was a bigger show so i wasn't suprised 2 bnn songs were on the setlist.  glad hawbtw is still on there too. :)

ps: vanessas facial expressions during atm are priceless...she looks so annoyed hahah
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:38:00 am by nutnlp »
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

amberbeads

• AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:54:09 am »
Vanessa was adorable and awkward as always :)
However, I was so violated by the people there... I couldn't see a freaking thing in the beginning, many thanks to this vile couple in front of me, each about 6' tall, who insisted on making out nonstop. It was after I looked down and saw their five-ish year old son glaring at me and pretending to shoot me (WTF?) that I decided to move.
Found Holly but couldn't find anyone else :( I was cranky so I jetted right away.
I was planning on seeing Branch at the Grove in a couple weeks but now I'm not so sure... I prefer the crowd when people have to pay (ie they actually want to be there/care about who's playing).
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:01:34 am »
Vanessa was adorable and awkward as always :)
However, I was so violated by the people there... I couldn't see a freaking thing in the beginning, many thanks to this vile couple in front of me, each about 6' tall, who insisted on making out nonstop. It was after I looked down and saw their five-ish year old son glaring at me and pretending to shoot me (WTF?) that I decided to move.
Found Holly but couldn't find anyone else :( I was cranky so I jetted right away.
I was planning on seeing Branch at the Grove in a couple weeks but now I'm not so sure... I prefer the crowd when people have to pay (ie they actually want to be there/care about who's playing).

I feel the same way... everyone there sucked haha. well not everyone. everyone around me at least. I couldn't see Vanessa AT ALL and I was soooo annoyed because I knew everyone in front of me blocking me could care less about her. and those girls with the posters! They were trying to act like they were huge fans, but one poster said something about ATM and the other one mentioned Ordinary Day. I was like, REALLY?! ugh.

I can't believe she came back out to sign and take pics. I'm SO SAD.

At the end of Home, my friend and I tried to make our way to where she'd walk off stage, but of course everyone in VIP pretty much ruined our chances of getting anywhere near. so we tried to walk around the opposite way, but eventually gave up and went to Rite Aid. I'm pretty sure we were sitting on a bench eating our ice cream AS SHE CAME BACK OUT.

ugh. so sad. :(

I think I'll still give Michelle a go though. I mean... it's free haha.

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:03:14 am »
Sounds like everyone had fun! I would definitely would not want to go to a free show. It seems like most of the people were rude. I would have busted out yelling at them!  ;D Can't wait to see more videos =] thanks eclv for the Home video!

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 08:20:19 am »
yeah i agree with what was said about prefering paid shows...atleast you know they have a clue who they are there to watch other than a little piano riff.  the signs were redic & halarious!  i was like whoaaaaaa felt like it was 2002 all over again.  "I walked 1,000 miles to get here" hahahahahah gag me.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 08:25:51 am »
yeah i agree with what was said about prefering paid shows...atleast you know they have a clue who they are there to watch other than a little piano riff.  the signs were redic & halarious!  i was like whoaaaaaa felt like it was 2002 all over again.  "I walked 1,000 miles to get here" hahahahahah gag me.

and "This isn't just an Ordinary concert!" haha UGHHHHHHHH AND THEIR POSTERS WERE BLOCKING ME WAS THE WORST PART!! I'm so bitter.

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 10:55:27 am »
Thanks for the review guys!
Nicole, I love the pics of all of you! (Let, seriously, when do I get to meet you after all this time? lol)

I missed her and I am waiting for tour time!  Let's do it!
I COMPLETELY agree with that statement!!
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Martin.

• Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:01:47 am »
Thanks for the reviews. Sounds like you all had fun (minus the idiots in the audience).

I'm determined to go see her perform when she promotes this next album!

Oh yeah, she looks GREAT too. Best I've seen her in a long time, in fact.

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 01:34:31 pm »
I'm uploading part of the videos now and they should be up within the hour. Just search for Vanessa Carlton Americana on YouTube. I'll do the rest tonight

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Re: Re: August 5, 2009- The Americana at Glendale, CA (review)
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 05:30:30 pm »
Great reviews. I am enjoying watching some of the videos that have found their way to youtube.

I realize I haven't seen V in almost two years. That is kind of sad. She needs to make her way to Chicago or something if she doesn't do a full fledged tour soon.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...