Author Topic: Billboard’s one-hit wonders of decade  (Read 9665 times)

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Re: Billboard’s one-hit wonders of decade
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:38:00 pm »
I saw this.

I don't know what's worse - the fact she's so low or the fact it's the highest she's been on any chart since 2002.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:56:00 pm »
It's not a bad thing to be a one hit wonder.  Some artists are able to live off of that 'one' song for quite sometime..and I think V is one of those artists...I felt weird posting this as a thread...but I honestly don't think it's a bad thing...I hear ATM ALLLLLLL THEE TIMEEEE.  So it's better than not hearing it at all! I have to say, it has grown to become one of my least favorite V songs(I think V's as well) but it's also a good thing that she had that song.....we all discovered her because of it...I like to think that some of us would have discovered her down the line anyway..but hey ATM is what got my attention..here we are almost 8 years later supporting a great musician...I'm just sooo lost and confused as too why she isn't hands-on AT ALL when it comes to a huge chunk of her career?  She should be updating fans more often..people lose interest.  I don't care that shes considered a 'one hit wonder' by anyone(i don't think she cares either)....I just want new music....and more updates? haha is that too much too ask for?  It's kind of a low-blow when she pops up right before an album is coming out to say "hey" aka "buy my record".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:58:08 pm by nutnlp »
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Nessaholista

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »
It's not a bad thing to be a one hit wonder.  Some artists are able to live off of that 'one' song for quite sometime..and I think V is one of those artists...I felt weird posting this as a thread...but I honestly don't think it's a bad thing...I hear ATM ALLLLLLL THEE TIMEEEE.  So it's better than not hearing it at all! I have to say, it has grown to become one of my least favorite V songs(I think V's as well) but it's also a good thing that she had that song.....we all discovered her because of it...I like to think that some of us would have discovered her down the line anyway..but hey ATM is what got my attention..here we are almost 8 years later supporting a great musician...I'm just sooo lost and confused as too why she isn't hands-on AT ALL when it comes to a huge chunk of her career?  She should be updating fans more often..people lose interest.  I don't care that shes considered a 'one hit wonder' by anyone(i don't think she cares either)....I just want new music....and more updates? haha is that too much too ask for?  It's kind of a low-blow when she pops up right before an album is coming out to say "hey" aka "buy my record".

You're right :)

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 08:14:16 pm »
Well, we don't know why she does it like that.  I mean her last album was titled, "Heroes and Thieves"  with a bunch of them knocking at her door and I guess her being confused for a long time.  Then her main page of the official site had the forums hidden in between trees in a dark place with spooky eyes peering out.  That could point to the problem, but that is just me (and I have a way of over-rationalizing.)

There are even people who run this board that I wouldn't call my favorite people in the world (that is an understatement.)

but heh --- but I think she's starting to make an effort, who knows.  It's demoralizing but maybe we should just be the cool fans we have always been and post stuff to the board so other people can see all the things going on in her career and what devoted fans she has.

Pyro

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dead+am+pyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 02:54:02 am »
I agree, there's nothing terribly wrong with being a one hit wonder. It means everyone knows her, at least, for that one song. I just hope she keeps making music-- whether it becomes popular or not. I'm actually kind of glad that she's so low on the list, because that means she stands a better chance of coming back!

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 06:58:34 am »
Yeah, better to be considered a "one hit wonder" by some than to have no success at all. Of course, all her fans know that she's so much more than just ATM.
I agree I think it's good that she's so far down on the list. That means her second single did better than the people who are higher up. And damn, in my mind I thought that OD did much better on the charts than 30! It deserved to be #1.
On a note unrelated to V, I hated that "Bad Day" song! So overplayed! I love the cheesy one-liners in this article too LOL.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 09:25:53 am »
Yeah, the bad day song is really hard too listen to know..but im not gonna lie, i still like mambo number 5! haha

Nessaholic4Ever

• MSN Messenger - none
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:37:14 pm »
What about Ordinary Day? That was a hit.

Technically, she's a two-hit wonder. So there, list-making people.
I waste the days away
Waiting on a new age
But time betrays me
And I get older one more year

Giuliana

• You think you'll be happy if granted one more wish
    • MSN Messenger - giulianacaminotti@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic.chu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • twitter
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:34:55 am »
She will get on top again, don't worry. This album she's composing is great, no doubt. I'm sure we'll have the pleasure of hearing her music again on the radios very soon  ;D
But the truth is, you'll never need more than this

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 12:49:27 pm »
Although I'd like that too be true...I don't really see it happening...I just don't...and thats not necessarily a bad thing.

SylvanHistorian30

• Willing and Able to... Run
  • All I Seem to Feel is Light . . .
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - earl_dominic_18
    • View Profile
    • bishop-myriel43 on deviantART
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 05:05:02 am »
I think her being perceived as just another one-hit (or two-hit) wonder is a challenge to us Nessaholics. Promote, promote, promote!  ;D
Miracles DO happen! =)

View my literary works:
http://bishop-myriel43.deviantart.com/

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 09:35:33 am »
She isn't a one or two hit wonder, she is a awesome chick that writes good, original music.  Good and original enough to send a song that some people said sounded like a piano recital, into the top ten, out of apparently nowhere.

You have to have skillz to fight booty videos.  ;)  A little duct tape helps too.  Just ask Macguyver, he knows.

HippieSongBird

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
  • I can't tell them apart anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:15 pm »
I agree with the one who said "We should just be good fans and support her no matter what"
Also I don't think it's bad that she isn't played about and all over, I am really actually glad she's not "popular" anymore.
I was stained by a role in a day not my own,
cause I've seen Twilight.

Nessaholista

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 12:23:25 am »

You have to have skillz to fight booty videos.  ;)  A little duct tape helps too.  Just ask Macguyver, he knows.

;D