Author Topic: Meanings and Notions behind the Songs  (Read 32765 times)

Patricius

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
Re: Meanings and Notions behind the Songs
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 07:29:08 pm »
yes, especially because she says, 'they never answer back'  could be a questioning of faith, rather than agnosticism.  The whole song is kind of about (to me) what ifs and things she may have done wrong, growing older and maturing.  As we grow older we question things more and try to find answers.  we question these heavenly creatures and whatever god we were taught to believe it, and when they don't answer back, we must look into ourselves for answers. 
Sorry, just a tangent, maybe not exactly what the song is about..

No, no, that's what I took it as.  I don't think her song is as shallow as to why the moon doesn't respond when we talk to it (paraphrased, y'know?), or that could just the inner-me thinking and misconstruing what she actually wanted to talk about.

I always took agnosticism as a questioning of faith, iff the person was of faith and turned away--basically wondering whether or not if God (or whatever it is defined as in any religion) exists...Even if it is only slightly right.
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2011, 03:39:43 am »
yes, especially because she says, 'they never answer back'  could be a questioning of faith, rather than agnosticism.  The whole song is kind of about (to me) what ifs and things she may have done wrong, growing older and maturing.  As we grow older we question things more and try to find answers.  we question these heavenly creatures and whatever god we were taught to believe it, and when they don't answer back, we must look into ourselves for answers. 
Sorry, just a tangent, maybe not exactly what the song is about..

No, no, that's what I took it as.  I don't think her song is as shallow as to why the moon doesn't respond when we talk to it (paraphrased, y'know?), or that could just the inner-me thinking and misconstruing what she actually wanted to talk about.

I always took agnosticism as a questioning of faith, iff the person was of faith and turned away--basically wondering whether or not if God (or whatever it is defined as in any religion) exists...Even if it is only slightly right.

That is basically what I was saying, but used her words from the song to explain.  I know that it's not 'shallow' as you say.  What I mean is, I realize that questioning of faith comes from more than just not getting answers, literal or otherwise, from deities.  It comes from a yearning as we mature and get older to have answers that we can only find within ourselves.
 I didn't realize though, that agnosticism was questioning itself, I thought it meant something else!
~Sara~

Patricius

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2011, 06:57:15 pm »

That is basically what I was saying, but used her words from the song to explain.  I know that it's not 'shallow' as you say.  What I mean is, I realize that questioning of faith comes from more than just not getting answers, literal or otherwise, from deities.  It comes from a yearning as we mature and get older to have answers that we can only find within ourselves.
 I didn't realize though, that agnosticism was questioning itself, I thought it meant something else!

Eheh, no, I perceive agnosticism as questioning; typically, it's a form of atheism that doesn't outrightly say that a deity doesn't exist; rather, it's a belief where it's said that it's impossible to know if it exists.  I guess that makes sense.

I get what you mean. My cousin, although he's relatively young, already questions his faith [so much for confirmation...].
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 09:48:02 am »
what about ameriteen?

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 10:21:07 am »
what about ameriteen?
That ones about war. If you listen to her talk before she performs it, she's talking about it

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 12:53:35 pm »
what about ameriteen?
That ones about war. If you listen to her talk before she performs it, she's talking about it

aah, thank you. :)
yeah, i tried to listen but the record is not so good, and since my first language is not english it was hard for me to understand what she's saying haha :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:55:39 pm by Fred_Saboya »

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »
what about ameriteen?

yeah, i tried to listen but the record is not so good, and since my first language is not english it was hard for me to understand what she's sayi
ng haha :)
Haha yeah, some parts are hard to hear but I believe she's saying how bad it is that some people have absolutely no idea about all the things going on in the war

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2011, 09:44:59 pm »
what about ameriteen?

yeah, i tried to listen but the record is not so good, and since my first language is not english it was hard for me to understand what she's sayi
Haha yeah, some parts are hard to hear but I believe she's saying how bad it is that some people have absolutely no idea about all the things going on in the war

and that despite that fact, they still comment on it.  At least that is what I hear.
~Sara~

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2011, 12:51:29 pm »
what about ameriteen?

and that despite that fact, they still comment on it.  At least that is what I hear.
Yeah, it was something along those lines haha

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »
we forgot this thread haha?

raacheeel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:23 am »
lol i think half the "vanessa carlton experience" is trying to figure out the meanings....idk hah i didn't read previous posts but i wanna figure it out and find something new every time i listen to her music, but that's just me haha at least i know ill have a place to go to if i get stuck

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:32 pm »
lol i think half the "vanessa carlton experience" is trying to figure out the meanings....idk hah i didn't read previous posts but i wanna figure it out and find something new every time i listen to her music, but that's just me haha at least i know ill have a place to go to if i get stuck

I find that to be true for me too.  I think it might be the mood I'm in makes the difference.  I do like sharing my ideas here though.
~Sara~

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 02:28:12 pm »

I find that to be true for me too.  I think it might be the mood I'm in makes the difference.  I do like sharing my ideas here though.

I know that my mood definitely changes what I get out a song whenever I'm listening to it.
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 03:23:08 pm »
Oh yeah definitely, for me I' get mellow or content. Secretly it's the piano and violin together = total eargasm.

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 06:31:36 pm »
In the song Carousel what does this line mean: "I thought I heard you voice in the thunder, Is the owl casting spells that we're under"?