Author Topic: Vanessa Carlton and Irv Gotti.  (Read 10755 times)

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Vanessa Carlton and Irv Gotti.
« on: October 02, 2010, 03:49:19 pm »
Why does this keep getting deleted? Which one of you is on a power trip? This is ridiculous!

Anyway, my friend sent me this:

and I have a contact who know irv gotti....so of course I asked him to hit irv up and answer some questions about our vanessa.

Irv said they are still friends and she's the most down to earth singer he knows (not that she wouldn't be)
He said she smokes weed like one of the boys playing pratical jokes and was happy for her when she came out of the closet.

Then he touched on what's she's known most for....those flops.
He said they planned to promote the album heavily but she didn't want to. And when they told him how much it sold the first week he thought they were joking and kept saying "seriously...ur joking right"?
Cuz they got all this positive feedback and then it flopped so hard.

He said vanessa didn't care at all and was unfazed by the terrible sales and low concert attendance. He said she's unlike a lot of young artists. And that time after time her albums tank and she stays true to her artistry and isn't fazed by sales but it is a business and that's why they parted company.

He has a few connections in the music industry since he's trying to get in and asked a contact who knows Irv to talk about Vanessa. So here it is.

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Re: Vanessa Carlton and Irv Gotti.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:28:30 pm »
Thanks for posting! All I know is that I don't want her to go indie; because if she releases an indie album I'll have to buy an expensive import copy.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 04:31:12 pm »
There were people wondering what the situation with V and Irv was, so I thought this would help clear some of it up.

And I don't know what she should do. Clearly major labels aren't for her. Maybe independent? I don't know. Indie would be best I think though, because she has a loyal fanbase and there wont be as much pressure to bring in sales and stuff.

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:48:02 pm »
I hope she signs with a major label. I mean, most major labels have a number or artists/bands that don't produce major hits or platinum sales. All they do is relase and distribute the album without spending much money on promotion. Rufus Wainwright, Tegan and Sara, The Rocket Summer and Cyndi Lauper are all on major labels (or on sub-labels owned by large ones), and they usually don't release top 20 albums. And that's just the people I listen to, if I did a little research I could come up with a lot of artists in the same situation.

Vanessa's albums were only a flop because the commercial expectations were too high.

HearMyBells

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • So you can put your weapons down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »
H&T didn't really flop almost 600,000 worldwide is pretty reasonable-ish, right?

mysticalmists

• Make me high on lullabies
  • LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 11:01:48 pm »
Thanks so much for that - it's nice to get that finally cleared up, somewhat.

Well if it's true, I guess it's fair enough that they parted ways - obviously V didn't really care about money and popularity, while Irv probably did (not that that's a bad thing - it's his job to promote album's to be as successful as they can :P)

Well I hope that whoever she's signed with (or who she's NOT signed with lol), that they get the album out soon.

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 11:35:59 pm »
Wow... That does sound kinda awesome-ish.

It's almost as if the thought of going all out and sort of re-inventing herself felt a bit too pseudo and she just stopped ya know...?

I sometimes feel very very possessive of Vanessa and don't really shove her music my friends' faces (anymore :P). I'm a very very selfish little NESSAholic and I love that we have a small community here.

Sometimes I think that if Vanessa really did make it big we would have alot of weird fake NESSAholics on here and that would just spoil the show.

(Does anyone remember the female who almost got plastic surgery to look like V? And if you're the one reading this... I apologise I really shouldn't judge.)

Vanessa is just awesome. I'm a proud NESSAholic for life!!!

"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:42:19 am »

I sometimes feel very very possessive of Vanessa and don't really shove her music my friends' faces (anymore :P). I'm a very very selfish little NESSAholic

me too lol
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

lala

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 11:11:51 am »
H&T didn't really flop almost 600,000 worldwide is pretty reasonable-ish, right?

probably more like 150k max

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:35:57 pm »
I was driving in the car and thinking about the whole Vanessa Carlton and fame thing. *I drive 40 minutes to a train station and an hour train ride to school . . . so I think a lot : D* and I was thinking the same thing! I wouldn't want for V to get famous like back in the days of BNB. That is because her shows would not feel so great as they are! They would not be intimate and cozy! In a way that is selfish because I feel like we just want her to make magical music just for us lol. But, shes okay with it. She is not at all init for the fame. She probably figures if I could get my music out to as many people I can, great. That is why I love Vanessa. Plus I don't really shove her music at my friends anymore  : ).

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

vttmishere

• Make me high on lullabies
  • do it, do it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 06:05:03 pm »
I share the same "selfish" feeling as you guys. It's funny 'cause I used to think I was the only one who thought this way.
The thing is, I wouldn't mind at all if she stayed the way she is, not in a major label, as long as she stopped disappearing. I mean, it is ok that she doesn't want the fame, but sometimes I caught myself wondering why the hell so many crappy bands have lots of live albums and DVD's and Vanessa doesn't! If we think, we are losing with that. Exposure and major labels = more of the artist for the fans. But then there's that fact of staying true to her roots, which fame always takes away.
I just wish this lack of exposure didn't interfire so much on us getting material from her.
'can't fight the force of my young beating heart'

Nessaholista

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:59:59 pm »
Plus I don't really shove her music at my friends anymore  : ).

Me neither.. I have a friend (a girl) who loves V as I do.. I inform her all the time.. but only her.. none of my other friends :)

CelestialHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:35:33 pm »
Hm, I can't remember what was said exactly, but I was watching Best of the 90s or something on VH1. I saw Vanessa Carlton! She said something about not being in the Hollywood scene or something like that. It went by too fast >.> so maybe she doesn't want to be made into a BIG deal like some Hollywood people are ya know? I mean, I wouldn't want tons of attention. I'd want to be low key but at the same time I would want to keep in touch with my fans if I had any. XD

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 01:11:12 am »
I think what she wants is this - she'd like to have enough fame to share her art with others who appreciate it but not too much that her music turns into something commercial. But IDK. It's just an outsider's perspective.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Serentic

• AOL Instant Messenger - serentic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 10:41:19 am »
I think what she wants is this - she'd like to have enough fame to share her art with others who appreciate it but not too much that her music turns into something commercial. But IDK. It's just an outsider's perspective.

This. You couldn't have said it better.

Nessa isn't looking for fame, but I'd be willing to bet that she would accept a bigger foundation for being accepted as an artist.