Author Topic: Carousel  (Read 62340 times)

Lyris

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Re: Carousel
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2011, 09:39:06 am »
The line "I know she let you down" is really, really soothing...

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2011, 02:06:40 pm »
The line "I know she let you down" is really, really soothing...

I still hear "And know she'll let you down" but oh well :D
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

Lyris

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2011, 11:58:26 am »
That's what I heard at first too, when I heard the 'real' lyrics it took on much more significance for me :D

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »
Ok, so this could be the delirium talking because I haven't slept, but I have new thoughts on these lyrics.  I always thought of this as her singing to someone else, someone external.  But I thought just now, and especially with the video -- is she talking to herself?  what I mean is that is seems like she is telling herself all these things --that it's not too late to change the pace, that love will come back to her, and that beauty surrounds her and is inside of her.   The lyric "I know she let you down" still works, one because she is bisexual, and two, she could still be talking about herself -- her old self, that she who got off track and was letting herself down.  The song has taken on a new meaning for me of self affirmation or self lullaby to reassure herself that it will all be ok and that love will come back to her as long as she keeps putting it out there and as long as she keeps recognizing the beauty around and inside of her. 
during the last part of the song where she interchanges "I" instead of "you" ("all I hear is the music")  seems to affirm all that she was telling herself during the song. 

This probably won't make sense.. sorry for rambling.!
~Sara~

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2011, 02:55:58 pm »
Ok, so this could be the delirium talking because I haven't slept, but I have new thoughts on these lyrics.  I always thought of this as her singing to someone else, someone external.  But I thought just now, and especially with the video -- is she talking to herself?  what I mean is that is seems like she is telling herself all these things --that it's not too late to change the pace, that love will come back to her, and that beauty surrounds her and is inside of her.   The lyric "I know she let you down" still works, one because she is bisexual, and two, she could still be talking about herself -- her old self, that she who got off track and was letting herself down.  The song has taken on a new meaning for me of self affirmation or self lullaby to reassure herself that it will all be ok and that love will come back to her as long as she keeps putting it out there and as long as she keeps recognizing the beauty around and inside of her. 
during the last part of the song where she interchanges "I" instead of "you" ("all I hear is the music")  seems to affirm all that she was telling herself during the song. 

This probably won't make sense.. sorry for rambling.!
Oh my god! this makes total sense! i never thought of it this way before but I really like this view on the song...

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2011, 11:00:15 am »
I was listening to the live version from Kean university and I heard something I never heard before -- a clap clap in the "oo oo oo" at the beginning of the bridge! I had never heard it before.  I don't know if it's just a coincidence like someone moving their chair, but there is clearly some sort of clap clap during that part. I couldn't believe it as I had never noticed it before! (and I hear it really well the first time, and not so well the second)  Has anyone else heard this before now?  I thought the claps were something new but apparently it was in her head the whole time.

I was also thinking about the bridge a little more and I like how she repeats it more in the album version -- it reminds me of chanting, which fits really well with the whole spells theme and the campfire/night scene in the video.  This song and video are becoming like a religious experience for me.  Very spiritual and inspiring.
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2011, 07:16:00 pm »
I was listening to the live version from Kean university and I heard something I never heard before -- a clap clap in the "oo oo oo" at the beginning of the bridge! I had never heard it before.  I don't know if it's just a coincidence like someone moving their chair, but there is clearly some sort of clap clap during that part. I couldn't believe it as I had never noticed it before! (and I hear it really well the first time, and not so well the second)  Has anyone else heard this before now?  I thought the claps were something new but apparently it was in her head the whole time.

I was also thinking about the bridge a little more and I like how she repeats it more in the album version -- it reminds me of chanting, which fits really well with the whole spells theme and the campfire/night scene in the video.  This song and video are becoming like a religious experience for me.  Very spiritual and inspiring.

Well, I heard the clap-clap you mentioned in that recording. I think it was Ari tapping his guitar.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2011, 03:07:02 am »

Well, I heard the clap-clap you mentioned in that recording. I think it was Ari tapping his guitar.

i had never even noticed it before...had you?
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2011, 03:15:04 am »

Well, yeah. But I thought it was just not a big deal.

Until the studio version, that is.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2011, 03:15:55 am »

Well, yeah. But I thought it was just not a big deal.

Until the studio version, that is.

ahhh! I am so deaf. lol
~Sara~

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2011, 11:32:39 am »
Has anyone put up a tutorial for Carousel on youtube? Sadly, it's the only way I learn songs on the piano haha.
Peace
Adriann

Patricius

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2011, 05:05:35 pm »
Has anyone put up a tutorial for Carousel on youtube? Sadly, it's the only way I learn songs on the piano haha.

I've received quests for a tutorial, but I'm a little wary of making one now. I sound so nasally with these accursed allergies.
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

craft

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2011, 03:42:23 pm »
I don't know if this has been posted, but I found it so I thought I'd post. It's just a Stevie Nicks fan discussion on Carousel.
Mostly it's a discussion on this mysterious "drop dead gorgeous nephew."

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=45910

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »
I don't know if this has been posted, but I found it so I thought I'd post. It's just a Stevie Nicks fan discussion on Carousel.

I told myself I wasn't going to read any more boards about her.. but I read it.  at least they use qualifiers like "i think" and the such and don't state it as absolute fact.  Fair opinions, they also weren't too keen on Stevie singing with anyone else, let alone Vanessa.  to each his/her own I suppose!
~Sara~

craft

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2011, 06:44:39 am »

I told myself I wasn't going to read any more boards about her.. but I read it.  at least they use qualifiers like "i think" and the such and don't state it as absolute fact.  Fair opinions, they also weren't too keen on Stevie singing with anyone else, let alone Vanessa.  to each his/her own I suppose!

Yeah, I didn't think they were mean, although "I don't get this Vanessa Carlton thing" kind of annoyed me.