Author Topic: [SF Examiner] Vanessa Carlton’s comeback heralded by some heavyweights  (Read 3982 times)

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
goodness, did i miss the articles! here we go!

For the past few months, word has been leaking out to us from other artists who were there, on the premises at Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studios in Britain, when the sessions went down, and the word has been unusually good.

And this is the word: After being consigned to one-hit wonder status for three albums via “A Thousand Miles,” ex-San Francisco resident Vanessa Carlton is back with a knockout fourth set, “Rabbits On The Run,” hitting June 21 on Razor & Tie (who are also in the process of rejuvenating Nicole Atkins’ career).

We’re not kidding here — everyone who’s heard Carlton’s comeback tracks are virtually over the moon about them.

Carlton herself believes that this is the first time in 13 years that she’s captured the same unbridled effervescence she once had on her early demos. But that could have something to do with how she recorded “Rabbits” (in a stone cottage in the English countryside) and who she tracked it with (ace UK producer Steve Osborne, and musicians like Patrick Hallahan of My Morning Jacket and The Upwelling’s Ari Ingber).

Even the record’s inspiration was top-flight — Carlton based it on two of her favorite books, Richard Adams’ “Watership Down” and Stephen Hawking’s “A Brief History Of Time.”

Prepare for her righteous return at www.vanessacarlton.com.

source: http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/backstage-pass/2011/03/vanessa-carlton-s-comeback-heralded-some-heavyweights
formerly fish_for__stars.

lydia

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Yay!!! I really can't wait for this album!   ;D

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
This doesn't surprise me at all because I remember reading something along the same lines with the last album. To me, it's a given that she'll get great reviews for her work because she's such a great artist.

Of course, it's always nice reading these and it constantly rejuvenates my excitement for the project.

OPENROAD

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
This doesn't surprise me at all because I remember reading something along the same lines with the last album. To me, it's a given that she'll get great reviews for her work because she's such a great artist.

Of course, it's always nice reading these and it constantly rejuvenates my excitement for the project.

Pretty much agree with the above, if it translates into sales is another thing, but the more positive reviews/publicity the better  :)
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

lydia

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Yes, I hope many more people review the album and spread the word for it, to give the project more publicity!

mixedanthony

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
She seems to be gaining momentum quickly with this one! Cant wait for it honestly.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
I agree. I get the feeling that by the time of the album release, V would have gained a wider scope of audience.  :D

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
I find it kind of weird that the article doesn't specify any names, but good press is always better than no press at all.  8)
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
I REALLY like the video on her website now. A couple of the snippets sound VERY alt, it reminds me of Azure Ray a little bit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LDw5r4_Tx8)

I am getting so excited for the album now because I think Vanessa could do very well with a more alt-folk slant as compared with the poppy sounds she's done before. I have noticed her singing becoming more delicate or melodic lately as well, I wonder if it's part of her new evolution :)

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
I REALLY like the video on her website now. A couple of the snippets sound VERY alt, it reminds me of Azure Ray a little bit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LDw5r4_Tx8)

I am getting so excited for the album now because I think Vanessa could do very well with a more alt-folk slant as compared with the poppy sounds she's done before. I have noticed her singing becoming more delicate or melodic lately as well, I wonder if it's part of her new evolution :)

Thanks for the link. It's a very good song.

And yes, I do agree that V could do very well with alt-folk genre, but more of the dreamy and airy songs.. Just my opinion.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile

I love the songs in the video too! I listen to it in a different tab whenever im online!

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile

Thanks for the link. It's a very good song.

And yes, I do agree that V could do very well with alt-folk genre, but more of the dreamy and airy songs.. Just my opinion.

Oh, I agree. That's why I linked that particular type of song :)