Author Topic: 04/2/2011 - Mountain View Manor, Glen Spey, NY  (Read 18346 times)

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
04/2/2011 - Mountain View Manor, Glen Spey, NY
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:15:57 am »
Vanessa Carlton to perform

By SANDY LONG

GLEN SPEY, NY — Grammy-award-nominated singer songwriter/pianist and Pike County, PA native Vanessa Carlton may be focused on preparations for the June 21 release of her new album, “Rabbits on the Run.” But she’s not too busy to share what she does best at an upcoming event in Glen Spey, NY. Why? Because she cares about the issue and wants others to become informed.

That issue is natural gas drilling, and Carlton is hoping to increase awareness of the process and its impacts by performing at a special screening of the new documentary, “FRACK! The Movie.”

The event will take place on April 2 at Mountain View Manor in Glen Spey, NY, where Carlton will play a set featuring some of her established favorites as well as work from her new album, inspired by Richard Adams’ “Watership Down,” and Stephen Hawking’s “A Brief History of Time.”

Carlton’s fourth studio album was taped at the world renowned Real World Studios in Box, England and was created in collaboration with legendary producer Steve Osborne (U2, B-52s, KT Tunstall), Patrick Hallahan of My Morning Jacket, and Ari Ingber.

Carlton became aware of gas drilling roughly a year and a half ago, when she began reading about it in local papers and saw signs pop up on properties near her parents’ Pike County home. “My family home is sitting on the Marcellus Shale,” said Carlton. “This could be a disaster. It’s my home under attack.”

Carlton contends that “great love for this place where we live” is driving intensive regional activism on its behalf. “It’s a wonderland here,” she said. “The peaceful woods, the pure water—it’s spiritual, meditative. I write music about it.”

While she maintains that America needs to develop its own energy sources, Carlton wants to see better regulations in place and a shift toward focusing on sustainable energy. “It’s time to close the Halliburton loophole,” she said. “We need to pay attention and get this right. I hope people come to learn more about the issue and to get the information they need.”

The event is being sponsored by Lumberland Concerned Citizens (LCC). “It’s a great opportunity to become better informed as a community, and will also provide a forum for refining our thoughts and actions as we move ahead with this important work,” said LCC director Peter Comstock.

Also driving Carlton’s desire to participate is her appreciation for the education she received as a student at Glen Spey’s Homestead School and her devotion to its directors, Peter and Marsha Comstock. “They’re my greatest teachers,” said Carlton. “They provide you with the tools to become a responsible and progressive thinker. They’ve got a unique approach that brings out what’s special in each child. It shaped who I am. I remain a curious person to this day as a result.”

Carlton began playing the piano at three years old. At 21, she released her debut album in 2002, “Be Not Nobody.” The single, “A Thousand Miles,” reached the Top 5 on Billboard’s Hot 100 Singles chart. In 2003, Carlton earned Grammy nominations for Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist. The album achieved Gold status in over 10 countries and Platinum status in four countries, including the U.S.

Her second album “Harmonium,” led to an invitation by singer/songwriter Stevie Nicks to fill the opening act slot on Nicks’ worldwide tour.

The event will begin with a potluck dinner at 5:30 p.m., followed by Carlton’s performance, the film screening and a Q & A session. Other special guests will include actor Mark Ruffalo, FRACK director David Morris and more.

source: http://www.riverreporter.com/issues/11-03-17/news-carlton.html

not sure if this belongs in general discussion, as article talks a little more than just about the upcoming performance.
formerly fish_for__stars.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 04/2/2011 - Mountain View Manor, Glen Spey, NY
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46:45 am »
I'm trying to figure out if it's open to the public or how much tickets are if you have to have one, or donate or something.  I may go because I have the weekend off and it's probably about 5 to 6 hours away.  It also may be nice to learn about the subject!
~Sara~

moonvalley138

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ritzbitz111397
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »
OMG I'm so there with all of my bffls. Can't wait and its only about 20 mins away and its for a good cause. Things really have been pretty ridiculous with the gas drilling. I live in these freaking magical woods. yay ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:10:42 pm »
I wish I could go to this so bad!! Someone please record some stuff?  ;D

moonvalley138

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ritzbitz111397
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:51 pm »

I'm on it. =]

lydia

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:09:40 pm »
I wish I could go to this..  :(
Anyone who's going, be sure to record some videos for us!

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:41 pm »

I'm on it. =]
Thanks a lot!! :D

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »

I'm on it. =]
Thanks a lot!! :D

Whoo-hoo!!! Please record the latest stuff, especially "Get Good," FTW, and Carousel. I really want to make out what's in the bridge of Carousel. LOL

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:39:44 am »
is it close to brazil?

ps.: it's a joke, ok? haha

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 05:04:29 pm »
lol fred, I think it might be actually.  Moonvalley -- if you are going, I think I'll sit this one out!  oh yeah, that is the day I'm seeing the Lion King anyway! lol, forgot about that.  Have fun!  Let us also know the info from the movie and lectures or what not.  I am interested to know more about the subject (but to lazy to research it myself...)
~Sara~

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:43:41 am »
Not sure I'd be able to focus my attention on V when Mark Ruffalo is in the room.....yum!
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

ILoveHanson

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HansonGirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:22 pm »
pretty sure i'm gonna go to this. but do we have any more info?
*Nicole*

I'm always on the move, my heart is always on the mend

www.twitter.com/hansongirl
www.last.fm/user/ILoveHanson

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 10:08:35 am »
From FB
For You,

My homestate, my childhood forest and beloved Delaware river are in trouble.

I am mortified by what has been going on in Pennsylvania and New York State.  What these gas companies are doing is hazardous and un-American.  This is extremely personal to me. Find out what's been going on for yourself and, if you can, make a donation, or come check this out......or both!

Best,

Vanessa Carlton

Event:  Special screening of “Frack!” – the true story of the unconventional gas-drilling boom sweeping the Marcellus region, including the Catskills, and the Upper Delaware River watershed, which provide drinking water to over 15 million people, including New York City.

Following the screening, there will be a Q&A session with the filmmaker, along with a special musical performance by Grammy nominated artist, Vanessa Carlton.

Date:  Saturday, April 2nd

Address:  369 High Road / Glen Spey, NY 12737                    

Potluck Dinner at 5:30pm

Movie at 6pm, followed by Q&A with the filmmaker David Morris and special musical performance by Vanessa Carlton

* Tickets are not sold for this event.  This event is open to the public, with a suggested minimum donation of $10. Donations will go directly into a community legal defense fund which will help people and towns of the Upper Delaware River block court challenges by Big Gas.

* If you are unable to attend the event, and would still like to make a donation to the cause, please make a check out to “Homestead School ATT Protection Fund” and send to:

The Homestead School

428 Hollow Road

Glen Spey, NY 12737

For more info about “fracking”:

www.frackthemovie.com

http://www.catskillmountainkeeper.org/

http://www.damascuscitizens.org/

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 02:55:14 pm »
* Tickets are not sold for this event.  This event is open to the public, with a suggested minimum donation of $10.

Gah! I wish I just live there somehow. This is my favorite part of the event.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 03:57:53 pm »
same thing was also posted to myspace!  Very disappointed I can't go either!  But someone will represent~! thanks guys.
~Sara~