Author Topic: Happy 9 years to Be not Nobody!  (Read 5417 times)

ILoveHanson

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HansonGirl
    • View Profile
Happy 9 years to Be not Nobody!
« on: April 30, 2011, 05:11:53 am »
Can't believe it's been 9 years since BnN was released on 4/30/02! I remember that day like it was yesterday... seeing V live for the first time at TRL and the Virgin Megastore right afterwards, meeting Let (and a bunch of other Nessaholics I don't see anymore, wtf? haha) and finallyyyyyyy getting to buy the album that we waited so many months for! I knew that day that I was hooked on her music for life, and it will always be special to me. <3
*Nicole*

I'm always on the move, my heart is always on the mend

www.twitter.com/hansongirl
www.last.fm/user/ILoveHanson

Serentic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - serentic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Happy 9 years to Be not Nobody!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:19:20 am »
I know! My sister saw that episode on TRL .. I was 8 at the time; just a bit to young to watch it. She told me about it though, and we rushed to our a few days later to get her album. O: There was a period that I forgot about her though. I was brought back in about 2007 when I picked up the piano sheet music for A Thousand Miles. C:

This album has be reminiscing; I'm so excited for it! C:

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:49:09 am »
I'll never forget that day. ATR, for those who don't know we at Nh.com raised money to present V with A Thousand Roses (ATR) on her release day at her TRL taping for MTV. There were about 6 of us who came out holding boquets of roses to present to V after she was interviewed. She took a boquet with her and Kevin and I delivered the rest to Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center the following day.

I have yet to transfer the recording to my computer but here's how it went down. http://popdirt.com/vanessa-carlton-visits-trl-on-tuesday/4169/

Then we rushed over to the Virigin In Store. I just saw these pictures a few months ago. I should have scanned them. I still used film in 2002. Haha. I remember she did Pretty Baby for the first time (and then it was a LONG time til she did it again) and she kept doing songs not on the album and was afraid she was going to get in trouble for it. Such a wonderful day.

As I tweeted earlier, I have made many friends from all over the world because of this album and have so many wonderful memories from shows and shared wonderful experiences with friends at these shows, getting to these shows and after these shows. I hope V knows what an impact this album has had on us.

ILoveHanson

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HansonGirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:52:58 am »
That was such a good show. I screamed out "SWINDLER!!!" and she goes "ooo now I want to play Swindler!" and she did. love her. and at the signing I told her I was going to follow her shows all over the place and she just laughed. Who's laughing now Vanessa? hahaha. 49 shows later. good times. :)
*Nicole*

I'm always on the move, my heart is always on the mend

www.twitter.com/hansongirl
www.last.fm/user/ILoveHanson

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:00:43 pm »
<3

so much love.

so, so much.... I cannot even explain.

It is the biggest honor to have this music be such a huge part of my life.
It always will be.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 02:44:27 pm »
I feel you, Kulpy!!

Big love!!

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 03:15:20 pm »
Happy 9 year anniversary BnN! I find it funny to think of all the things that have changed in 9 years. Blogs such as LiveJournal were huge, now not so much. Cell phones went from being bricks to being computers you carry in your hand. Facebook, twitter, youtube, and myspace changed how people communicated.

Be not Nobody came out the same day as Big Tymers Hood Rich. I went to my local Sam Goody (lol, Sam Goody) and bought both. BnN dominated my CD player and the rest was history. Every once in a while I'll look back through photo albums, or random threads and just smile.

While V and her music will always have a special place in my heart I think the thing which has most impacted me and my life is this community. From day one there were so many good people I connected and grew with. I went from being someone who was almost painfully shy to the awesome person I am today. I know a lot of you weren't around back in 2002, but this community started out of love for V and continued to grow and blossom due to love for each other. I really hope that with this upcoming release and subsequent tour some of the newer peeps get to experience that love.

I can't say enough about people like superscientific, loveplasticlove, kaysha, eclv, HappyZen, and vulch (to name a few) and the experiences I've shared with them. We've all kind of grown up into adults together, I find it kind of cool to think about. I could go through and name so many more people like Wonkies, Holly, neos etc. etc. etc. but I really don't want to leave anyone out so I'll stop the naming.

I swear, to this day one of the best nights of my life was 11/11/2007, V at Crocodile Cafe in Seattle. We had a ball that night. This quote from V always reminds me of that night:

"How blissfully great would it be if we could all decide in this very moment that we need no more than what we have. Just our drink in our hand. Our friend next to us. The music in our ears. The roof over our heads, and to not crave any more means in theory that we are just blissfully happy. I work on that every day."

Okay, I'm done being sappy now, but thanks everyone.  8)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:18:48 pm by B »
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

OPENROAD

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 03:30:24 pm »
WOW, really wish I had been a fan from the beginning, though I did buy the album a couple of months after it was released, I never really  listened to it, only listened to three songs at the time  :-[ have only been a real fan for only a year now.

You guys have so many great memories of her over the years, you are very lucky :) still am glad I got round to discovering her in the end  ;)
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »
unreal how long its been.    met a lot of cool people and saw a lot of great shows over the last nine years  :)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:32:43 am »
It is wonderful to read your stories!  Thank you for sharing and having such a deep love and connection to Vanessa and to this community.  I am so happy to now be a part of it and hope to have stories to share in another nine years when I can comment on the momentus day that ROTR comes out!  My Vanessa experiences have been private, so I know rejoyce that I can share with this community!  My first encounter with Vanessa was seeing/hearing a glimpse of ATM video and thinking...hmm, I've got to check her out.  I bought the CD and couldn't believe my ears.  It's like she was writing just for me.  Now I realize that she has reached so many people and they are mostly all right here  ;)  Thank you for being such a great community!
Happy Anniversary!
~Sara~

sabasaba

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 11:34:54 am »
<3

so much love.

so, so much.... I cannot even explain.

It is the biggest honor to have this music be such a huge part of my life.
It always will be.

This.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 11:50:07 am »
BNN will always have a special place.  I don't take to newer artists the way I used to.  Things changed majorly for me in 2001/2002, so to find VC was a blessing.  I'm a fan, but VC has this intangible something about her.  When Harmonium came out, I remember getting a "these are awesome songs; THIS is why I'm a fan" feeling.

Nine years, eh?  Nice to see so many people still along for the ride!

Looks like I'm in for the long haul.

Dan/NS

sabasaba

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:33:13 pm »
Oh, wow, where do I even begin?

When 'A Thousand Miles' and Be Not Nobody were released, I was around ten. I remember buying Be Not Nobody on tape and playing 'A Thousand Miles' and 'Ordinary Day' endlessly, but I was also really into Michelle Branch's The Spirit Room at the time, as well. Actually, I think I liked Michelle a lot more than Vanessa that first year. Another factor was that I knew nothing about either Vanessa or Michelle, seeing as how I was fairly young when they first hit the scene and the extent of my 'fandom' was buying and listening to their music. At the time, I wasn't that well-acquainted with the Internet, or computers, for that matter, especially since I was a major bookworm growing up. I spent most of my time reading, and when I wasn't reading, I was listening to my tape player. Also, I don't know if this was just me, but I vaguely remember there being a point were V and Michelle Branch were compared with each other so much that I felt I had to make a decision and pick one of them (quite sad...but then again, I was eleven.) Surprisingly, I picked V. I don't even remember how or why, seeing as how I recall having big love for Michelle back then.

Anyway, Be Not Nobody stayed with me throughout my pre-teen years. I tend to pair V's records with significant periods in my life, and I can't seem to attach Be Not Nobody with a specific time or event in my life, probably because I was fairly young and had no epiphanies to reflect back upon, lol. It wasn't until Harmonium was released that I sort of began my journey to NESSAholicism. I was around thirteen-going-on-fourteen and going through a deep and dark goth phase. I was at that insecure age where everything was a big deal and the world was out to get me - if that makes any sense - and the record fit that period of my life perfectly. By then I had upgraded to a Walkman, and Harmonium was literally my lullaby every night. I remember always falling asleep just before 'Afterglow' ended. 'White Houses' was the track that kind of triggered my transformation from a regular fan to a NESSAholic. That song was my jam! I was obsessed. To this day, it is still my favorite song, not just of Vanessa's, but of all-time. The thing is, a year or two went by, and I didn't know when Vanessa was releasing any new music. I'd go to the record store and ask, but no one knew anything about it. I was in Dubai for Christmas in 2007 when I randomly walked into the local Virgin Megastore and found Heroes & Thieves on the shelf. I immediately bought all the copies in stock (which were only around four or five) and listened to the record on repeat for the longest time when I got home. I gave my other four copies to some friends and soon enough, they were hooked on 'Heroes & Thieves' and 'Nolita Fairytale'! I was sort of 'coming into my own' at the time, and, yet again, Heroes & Thieves was completely relatable.

Fast forward to summer 2009, when I saw a flyer for Vanessa's show in Glendale. I was online, searching for some information on the venue, when I stumbled upon NESSAholics.com. I looked around, signed up, and the rest is history. I briefly got to talk to Adriann and recognized many of the original NESSAholics at the show, like LetB and Holly. All in all, it was an amazing experience.

Rabbits On the Run comes on the eve of my 'adulthood', and by that, I mean my current college years - my 'rebirth', if you will, as I am an entirely different and more mature version of myself now, and I feel that it also symbolizes Vanessa's own rebirth as an artist, which means another record that I can associate with a specific period of my life. I can't wait! :)

In conclusion, I am beyond happy that I discovered this amazing forum and was given the chance to interact with all the wonderful people on here! I sincerely love you all and I am proud to be an official NESSAholic, even though I was a late bloomer! This forum keeps my love for Vanessa and her music going, especially during V's dry spells, and I am very grateful for that. :)

(Yes, I do talk a lot, which is the main reason why my posts on here are usually short and to the point. If I start, I can never shut up.)

sabasaba

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 12:40:07 pm »
Actually, my friends and family blame my insufferable obsession with V on this forum! They were pretty okay dealing with it growing up, seeing as how I wasn't as up-to-date with V news and didn't have much to endlessly blabber about. Now, thanks to this place, my V discussions are endless. Thanks again. :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:39:21 pm by Saba »

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 01:44:04 pm »
Wow, 9 years huh? And yet, I feel like it was yesterday.

Back in 2002, I just upgraded my Internet to DSL (from terrible uber slow dial-up) so I listened to US radios online all the time (KiisFM LA mostly). So one day of February 2002 (can't remember which), ATM came on and I was like "this song is AMAZING, who is that?". I restored my minimized browser window and saw "Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles". From this moment on, my life changed forever and I became hooked. I remember not being able to wait 'til the album dropped so I had a ripped copy from the "AOL Music First" stream, that was online some time before the album hit the stores.

What followed was: signed up on the o-boards (may they rest in peace haha) then here a few months later; went to many shows (in the UK and America); met so many awesome people (which some I consider good friends now, even though they're not geographically close to me) and, of course, met Vanessa many times. I'll always remember the first time I met her in Hartford, CT. The poor thing was sick but still agreed to meet me (and some other fans): I got in touch with the venue and asked for a m&t and somehow, they managed to make it happen.

And here we are, 9 years later, I'm still a fan and a lot of people from back then are also still around. This community is amazing and I'm so glad to be a part of it.

So, happy birthday Be not Nobody! The day you were born was also the day of a new "musical life" for me, full of friends, wonderful music and trips around the world. CHEERS!  8)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:47:51 pm by Ghisy »
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic