Author Topic: That time of year again...  (Read 22525 times)

raacheeel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
Re: That time of year again...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 09:46:49 am »
@Sini - haha congrats!! where did you get your acceptance?

@joey - haha at least you're MAKING money, and i agree with the More Than This reference...that's actually my favorite line of hers.

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:01 pm »
haha thanks! I was pretty excited when i got my acceptance. and heck yeah lol SD is like a science/ research kingdom haha cut throat asians :/
yeah no effing around this time! but there will be definitely partying after mid-terms and what not.
do you plan to go to med school?

Hope so. And from there, maybe become a pediatrician! Biological clock ticks though, since I'll be a woman who wants to get married & start a family :/ So I've looking into dentistry lately.. which doesn't sound so fascinating to me. Mundane if anything.

What about you? Any aspirations?

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »
Back to school = return of the undergrads = significantly less parking

However, it also means I'm one semester closer to that degree, so it's all good
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 06:17:59 pm »
haha thanks! I was pretty excited when i got my acceptance. and heck yeah lol SD is like a science/ research kingdom haha cut throat asians :/
yeah no effing around this time! but there will be definitely partying after mid-terms and what not.
do you plan to go to med school?

Hope so. And from there, maybe become a pediatrician! Biological clock ticks though, since I'll be a woman who wants to get married & start a family :/ So I've looking into dentistry lately.. which doesn't sound so fascinating to me. Mundane if anything.

What about you? Any aspirations?

UCSD is great with dentistry, sorry to say haha. I heard if you join the Pre-Dental Society and participate it's like a ticket into dental school...

As for me, I just want to finish undergrad and find a job in a lab and possibly join the navy and go to medical school through them. Right now im interning at the school of medicine and boy do they gear you to get a PhD...yeah not interested.

@tricia congrats! hope you have a good semester :) haha

tricia

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 06:23:22 pm »
PhDs aren't so bad!  I should have mine in Dec. if all goes according to plan.  You just have to pick a field you like and a good boss.  Usually you need at least a Master's to work in a lab anyway. 

Med School is always an option...just make sure you do some undergrad research in a lab.  Try to get your name on a couple of papers.  Looks very nice on that med school app!

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 06:29:30 pm »
You're getting a PhD?! What are you PhD-ing in? haha
Yeah i know im in a lab now, but it's just not that appealing to me. Pipetting can get old fast. im in the process looking for another lab to work for during the school year (if i can get funding). as for papers, yeah theyre basically your ticket into grad school. AHHHH overwhelming lolol oh well work hard play hard! :)

tricia

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 02:43:37 am »
Microbiology ;)

Sini

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 04:04:21 am »
@Sini - haha congrats!! where did you get your acceptance?

University of Helsinki, thanks! :) Congrats to you too :D
'cause i'm blind to all the good you see
and prefer a fine tragedy

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 09:00:38 am »
Microbiology ;)

OMGGG total jelly! hahah congratulations if you don't mind me asking what did you do your research on?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:02:25 am by raacheeel »

tricia

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:19 am »
Microbiology ;)

OMGGG total jelly! hahah congratulations if you don't mind me asking what did you do your research on?

I study a specific metabolic pathway of Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease.  I also have taken on a side project looking at protein expression profiles in response to supplemental concentrations of solutes in the growth medium.

Good times.

I'm working now on looking for post-docs.  It's tough to find a lab where I like the work and they are hiring at the moment.  If you know anyone at UCSD, let me know. ;)  My little brother lives there.

shinesobright07

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - kami_lynn713@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 09:03:43 pm »
I'm excited! 12th grade, last year in high school!!

Patricius

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 09:42:04 pm »
Hm... It's my first year of college, and although I already have college credit and I've been told that I'm ready, I'm still nervous. So, I'm like a combination of "blaaaaah" with "whoo college, time to go to upenn and get drunk or high." yeah.
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 11:13:14 pm »
Microbiology ;)

I study a specific metabolic pathway of Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease.  I also have taken on a side project looking at protein expression profiles in response to supplemental concentrations of solutes in the growth medium.

Good times.

I'm working now on looking for post-docs.  It's tough to find a lab where I like the work and they are hiring at the moment.  If you know anyone at UCSD, let me know. ;)  My little brother lives there.

wow sounds super interesting! what sparked that interest? the internship im in right now wants us to get PhDs. i'm not sure if i even want one because i don't know what i'd "research" in.

as for UCSD, i'm sure there's a lot of labs you can find work. i'm in the process of finding a lab myself but i need to find a program who can fund me :/

@Patricius: i would say balance out the partying and studying...besides you have like 3 years and a semester to make up for this possibly bad semester haha good luck and make good decisions ;)

@shinesobright07: stay safe, and have fun and get into college haha :)

tricia

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 06:50:32 am »
I actually went in as a genetics major at UCD, but I didn't like the school, so I transferred to a different school which only had a general biology degree.  I took a bacteriology class and fell in love.  I wasn't sure if I wanted a PhD yet, but I knew I wanted more than just my BS, so I went to UOP for a Master's.  There I took Medical Microbiology, which was also fantastic and totally cemented the idea of getting a PhD.  Now, here I am!

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 01:52:00 am »
Wow, you guys, aren't we a clever fan base? I feel really little now..

I start my new sixth form in about two weeks times. I picked four a levels, you either had to be brave or, well courageous to pick 5. Hopefully, the uni rush will have calmed down in a few years, although I doubt it.

Thanks for sharing all your courses, it's really interesting to see all the different fields and walks of life of our diverse forum.