Author Topic: That time of year again...  (Read 22486 times)

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
Re: That time of year again...
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 05:19:57 pm »
I'm glad this thread exists. It's fun to learn what everyone else is doing!

I am excited to go back to school. It's has been a long summer, and I still have about one month left until I go back. I'm going into my second year at Cal Poly Pomona, as a General Biology major. Like most of you guys, I am considering going into research, but I really don't know WHAT I want to research either. But, like someone mentioned, I am worried that it will get boring/old fast. However, I am planning to apply for some introductory research/lab positions for next summer, so hopefully that will give me a taste of what it's actually like.

I have a question, you really don't get to choose what you research do you? Don't you just have to go along with what the professor and their lab is already doing? I mean, I know you can study anything you want once you have your PhD, but as an undergraduate, you really don't have a choice, do you? This always confuses me, haha.

AG, I've been hearing a lot about Sixth form and A levels from people on Twitter. What exactly does that mean?
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 05:34:44 pm »
It really depends on the PI.  My boss gives all undergrads their own research project, while other PIs make undergrads help grad students and postdocs.  If having your own project is important to you, you need to be upfront about that.  Once you're in the lab, if you have something you REALLY want to work on, a generous PI may let you once you're fully trained, however most students only have a basic grasp of the work being done in the lab (ie they know what organism is being studied) so they don't have the capabilities to design their own project and will just take whatever project is free.  Generally PhD students and postdocs design their own projects within the scope of the work already being done in the lab.  If I were you, I'd jump in sooner rather than later.  Most of our undergrads take at least a year to be semi-independent.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

raacheeel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:24 pm »
SCHOOL STARTED TODAY! LOL I WAS ALL NERVOUS!! For the UC's how was everyones first day?

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 09:46:00 pm »
SCHOOL STARTED TODAY! LOL I WAS ALL NERVOUS!! For the UC's how was everyones first day?

Wow,.. I realize I haven't replied to your last response. But anyway, my first day was quite relaxed. Everything is review at UCSC.. as for practically every school. I was a little nervous as well, thinking I'd be overwhelmed by the material-to-be-covered, labs, etc.

How was the first day for everyone else (including CSU.. East Coast University students.. etc) ?

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 10:41:24 pm »
The first day was okay for me (at Cal Poly Pomona). I can tell it's going to be more work for me this year, as I expected, now that I'm a sophomore. I was surprisingly very nervous too!
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 09:20:27 am »
@barefootonbeaches:

Sixthform/college are two pathways after you finish high school at 16. AS Levels are completed in Y12 (age  17) usually in 4/5 subjects, and most people usually drop one and carry 3 to A-Level. Most universities use 3 A-Levels to choose applicants from.

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 10:11:50 am »

Wow,.. I realize I haven't replied to your last response. But anyway, my first day was quite relaxed. Everything is review at UCSC.. as for practically every school. I was a little nervous as well, thinking I'd be overwhelmed by the material-to-be-covered, labs, etc.

How was the first day for everyone else (including CSU.. East Coast University students.. etc) ?

yeah it was review but...it was my first day at UC soo yeah..ive been studying ever since school started...brushing up on my chemistry and trying to find study groups and blah blah..yay for school! NOT! haha

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 06:56:30 pm »

yeah it was review but...it was my first day at UC soo yeah..ive been studying ever since school started...brushing up on my chemistry and trying to find study groups and blah blah..yay for school! NOT! haha

If you ever want to talk "chem" with anyone, I'm here! I took beginner's chem, and now I'm enrolled in ochem (organic chem). Fun fun..  :D But you're starting a good habit: consistent studying. It helps to read the material, take brief notes, etc. before the lecture. Your fellow UC "phantom friend" knows!  ::)

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 08:27:49 pm »
haha im taking ochem right now!!! my habits right now is at least 2 hours of ochem everyday :x

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 09:48:33 pm »
haha im taking ochem right now!!! my habits right now is at least 2 hours of ochem everyday :x

Sweet! Let's go ochemers :D And that sounds like a pretty diligent routine. I don't actually time my studying, so I keep track through chapters  :) Whatever works!

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 07:30:48 am »
lol well its not like i have a timer right in front of me just roughly...im not that crazy haha pshhhh

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 07:54:16 am »
lol well its not like i have a timer right in front of me just roughly...im not that crazy haha pshhhh

Hehe yeah, I didn't think so. It's still pretty early in the quarter, so there's no urgent need to study intensively  ;) But keeping up, that's no question.

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 07:49:19 pm »
So i took my first midterm.....i got raped. BOO!

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »
So i took my first midterm.....i got raped. BOO!

For ochem? So did I! Took it today, very first midterm. All I have to say is that chirality is a bit more complex than it appears.  :D

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 01:44:41 pm »
I haven't peeked at this for a while. Good luck on finals, everyone!