Author Topic: Vanessa's Digital Holiday EP 'Hear The Bells' IS HERE!!!  (Read 31212 times)

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Re: Vanessa's Holiday EP 'Hear The Bells' (Nov. 21st)
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 11:34:27 am »
Vanessa never ceases to amaze me!  I'm so excited to hear this holiday EP, even though it's short and has two songs we've heard before.  It's always nice hearing things changed up though, despite the number of times we've heard them =)

Lyris

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 03:44:40 pm »
::) Its only a digital release and it sucks!!!

Damn... there's not even a CD?

Nice to hear more from her... but this is the first Vanessa Carlton release that I won't even be able to put on my shelf  :( Hopefully it's just since it's an EP and we won't have to put up with "virtual" releases of her next albums, whenever they come.
All true. I guess we should look at this as a DIY project then :D

I'm pretty sad about the lack of a CD as well; however, I feel quite certain that her future albums will have physical releases. :) Based on interviews and the ROTR packaging itself, V values them as well. I think this EP is only digital because it's something quite small, and not a large, complete project, like an album. If the EP were longer and an entity of its own, I feel there would be a physical copy.

On another note, this EP is getting my hopes up that V will release material more regularly. Though I've given up hope on some of her older songs being recorded (which I can understand--looking back at a piece of work you did years ago can be...unpleasant :D) , newer songs that don't make it onto albums might get studio recordings.

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 05:59:29 pm »
I'm not sure I'll buy this.  I really don't like "Hear the Bells" - the pizzicato just doesn't agree with my ears.  I could see myself buying War is Over, but the other two just don't do it for me, either.  They just sound like she got together with some friends who can kinda play instruments and recorded a few songs in like an hour.  They're just not refined.  Some people love that kinda sound and that's totally cool, but it's not my thaaang.

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2011, 08:43:04 pm »
After some of us have listened to the samples on Amazon, it seems like this EP is already disappointing. But let's consider the fact that this may be the last we'll see of Vanessa before she returns to her rabbit hole (aka her hibernation).

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 11:21:38 am »
I dunno... Do You hear what I hear sounds different... I mean its something else all together. Something that I LIKE. I'm curious to know what is sounds like now...

Funny how a holiday song is about worshiping grave stones and witch doctors eh? :P It's only now that I think about it, its a holiday EP. It doesn't have to be Christmasey or any other festival-ey... Its supposed to be about the season... I LOVE how she isn't cliched (like singing about kissing someone under the mistletoe)

Also, I LOVE how everyone is already judging the entire EP from the few seconds that they've heard from it.

And I don't think this is the end for Rabbits. There's the bride video to look forward to.
(And I'm secretly hoping that she get's a Grammy nod)
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 01:02:49 pm »
I think the fact that she is even doing a holiday Ep to begin with is a departure from her norm.  Has she ever done a Holiday ep before? in 9 years? I think it's a brave step into territory that she has never been in.  That's huge.  I also things it means that she's not going anywhere.  She has already started working on new music as stated in an interview somewhere, she's making a video this december for Bride and will release that and do promotions for it as well.  She already has 2 winter shows lined up and I'm sure they will add more after the new year.  While Hear the Bells is not my favorite song to sing in the car, it is a feast for the ears.  Every time I listen to it I hear something new and different.  While it may not be a "holiday" song it does fit HER vibe and what she's about.  So I'm excited!
~Sara~

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »
I think the fact that she is even doing a holiday Ep to begin with is a departure from her norm.  Has she ever done a Holiday ep before? in 9 years? I think it's a brave step into territory that she has never been in.  That's huge.  I also things it means that she's not going anywhere.  She has already started working on new music as stated in an interview somewhere, she's making a video this december for Bride and will release that and do promotions for it as well.  She already has 2 winter shows lined up and I'm sure they will add more after the new year.  While Hear the Bells is not my favorite song to sing in the car, it is a feast for the ears.  Every time I listen to it I hear something new and different.  While it may not be a "holiday" song it does fit HER vibe and what she's about.  So I'm excited!

Yeah.. you make a good point. I'm just used to V fleeing after releasing a new record, and breezing through a tour. We couldn't be any happier for her. And the longer she sticks around, the better! Really looking forward to the Bride music vid, especially now that we learned Marc is directing!

KULPDOGG

• View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 12:39:57 pm »
here's a review:

http://audiopinions.net/reviews/featured-artist-vanessa-carlton/

By Ryan Williford
Monday November 14, 2011

Vanessa Carlton – Hear The Bells
[Razor & Tie]
9.5/10

After her smash hit “A Thousand Miles” back in 2002, Vanessa Carlton has been relatively quiet until this year. With a new label home in Razor & Tie, a new full length, and now a holiday EP, Vanessa Carlton is set to make 2011 her comeback year. Her new holiday EP, Hear The Bells, includes two Christmas tracks, a new version of “Hear The Bells” off her new album, and a live acoustic version of “A Thousand Miles”. The major factor of holiday releases is how much they standout and stick. Vanessa’s versions has amazing, almost haunting composition and instrumentals. “Do You Hear What I Hear?” features her amazing singing in front of this haunting composition that features a drum, piano, acoustic guitar, and string orchestral instruments. “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)” overtakes the crown as the best Christmas song on this EP with the album highlights of the backing choir and violin sections. The new version of “Hear The Bells” fits the mood extremely well while being a great song by itself. Hear The Bells ends perfectly with a live acoustic version of the song that placed her on the map. “A Thousand Miles” still has the magic it had before and even more now with it being acoustic. This version allows Vanessa to pour out more emotion into the track. Hear The Bells is a holiday release that rightfully deserves to be in your Christmas playlist every year.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 04:21:20 am »

sarab

• Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 05:28:30 am »
thanks martin!
~Sara~

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 08:38:43 am »
You're welcome. :)

remixx

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Re: Vanessa's Digital Holiday EP 'Hear The Bells' (Nov. 21st)
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 11:11:29 am »
everything sounds so haunting and beautiful.  she definetly put her own twist on these classics.... can't wait for this

Harmonium

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 06:52:10 pm »
The Ep is amazing! Just downloaded it on itunes. It's already midnight here in Sweden. Gonna play it on repeat until xmas:)

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2011, 07:09:16 pm »
cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2011, 07:16:26 pm »
Its not even showing up on itunes for me yet...  :(